SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt 6920 sbr or no?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 6920 sbr or no? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:
You can also submit for the stamp on the 6933 6920 lower and then save for/price shop for a 6933 upper, while you wait.

Bruce

Fixed...

tp

Nope, not fixed.

The whole point of the 6933 lower over the 6920 is that the 6920 is not a factory SBR and would need to be engraved, after the Form 1.
The 6933 transfers on a Form 4 and needs no engraving as Colt made it as an SBR.

Bruce

Mmmhmm, ok Bruce...

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silly to wait 10 months for a form 4, which must always be transfered as a form 4.

Form 1, if you want to sell later just revert back to rifle and sell

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
You can also submit for the stamp on the 6933 6920 lower and then save for/price shop for a 6933 upper, while you wait.

Bruce

Fixed...

tp

Nope, not fixed.

The whole point of the 6933 lower over the 6920 is that the 6920 is not a factory SBR and would need to be engraved, after the Form 1.
The 6933 transfers on a Form 4 and needs no engraving as Colt made it as an SBR.

Bruce

Mmmhmm, ok Bruce...

There is a valid point here. Having your name or trust name engraved on a gun or lower is going to significantly reduce its resale value. Once you make a SBR, later selling it as an SBR takes as long as a transfer of a factory SBR. If you’re willing to wait the time for a F4 transfer, I’d rather do the wait for a factory gun than someone else’s “made” SBR. If you take the SBR upper off, convert in back to a Title 1 gun, and remove it from the registery, who wants a gun (or lower) with someone else’s name on it, especially when pristine lowers are so cheap?

I consider my SBRs as mine forever, and accept that I’ll likely never be able to sell them if I wanted. Just how it is.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the 6933 and was cleared in less than 10 months, its an awesome SBR in my opinion.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bruce

Fixed...

tp

Nope, not fixed.

Bruce

Mmmhmm, ok Bruce...

There is a valid point here. Having your name or trust name engraved on a gun or lower is going to significantly reduce its resale value. Once you make a SBR, later selling it as an SBR takes as long as a transfer of a factory SBR. If you’re willing to wait the time for a F4 transfer, I’d rather do the wait for a factory gun than someone else’s “made” SBR. If you take the SBR upper off, convert in back to a Title 1 gun, and remove it from the registery, who wants a gun (or lower) with someone else’s name on it, especially when pristine lowers are so cheap?

I consider my SBRs as mine forever, and accept that I’ll likely never be able to sell them if I wanted. Just how it is.

Nope, there is no valid point.

The OP asked about SBRing his 6920.

The OP did NOT ask about a 6933.
A Colt factory registered 6933 lower by itself will run about the same or possibly more than the cost of a 6920 OEM 1/2, which is a complete rifle.

The OP did not ask about potential future resale of a Form 1/SBR'd lower.

A complete 6933 UPPER would be an option to consider if:
1. You don't want to mess with having the 6920 barrel cut/threaded/gas port opened.
And/or
2. You want an SBR upper and a non-NFA upper (like the 6920 upper) for an SBR'd lower in order to make it easy (as in no ATF permission slip) to cross state lines with the rifle. Remove short barrel upper, install non-NFA upper, drive across state lines and go wherever.

But, a complete 6933 upper will run about $680, which is almost the cost of a 6920 OEM 1/2.
And, the OP asked about SBRing his 6920.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C'mon guys.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
Debating on getting a stamp for one of my colt 6920. Any reason not to? I want to stay in the 11 inch area. Does anyone have one?

Sounds to me like he was asking for options as well as reasons to not SBR his 6920. And he wants, specifically, an 11" SBR. And he likes Colts, apparently.
Suggesting a 6933 does not seem to be out of line. Possibly even a good faith effort to add to the discussion.

YMMV.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have an 11.5 AR pistol. I would not go that short personally unless adding a can. Not that much handier than a 16 and a whole lot louder. Nice with a can though.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ive got 8 Colt ARs, including a 6920 and a 6933. regardless of g4TX's semantics, the 6933 is the way to go.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have two 6920s. One is a SBR, the other is the Colt Law Enforcement Carbine. Can't hardly shoot the SBR without the can, which makes it as long, and heavier, than the plain old 6920.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post