SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    School Me On Bipods
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School Me On Bipods Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
The rifle jumped on the bench after each shot.

Bipod “hop” is something that was discussed more frequently in the past, I believe, and I wonder if it’s because Harris bipods have become less commonly used. A claim I saw more than once was that Atlas bipods were less susceptible to the phenomenon than the Harris line.

I’ve never seen a good analytical discussion/explanation why there might be a difference between Harris and something like the Atlas line, but I’ve seen some speculation that Harris legs are locked more rigidly and that promotes hopping rather than allowing the rifle to simply move straight to the rear.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harris was the best foldable leg bipod for a long time, as it is a definite step up a bunch of cheap bipods. The Harris is sturdy, and it takes a lot of abuse.

When it was introduced, Atlas was labeled as rickety by some. It definitely has some slack/play/wobble compared to the Harris. But the Atlas play was there for a reason -- it helps most shooters shoot better.

Every rifle has some recoil. Even the lowly .223 Remy. Recoil pushes the rifle's buttstock back into the shoulder pocket. The looser the rifle is held in the shoulder pocket, the higher the recoil inherent to a cartridge, the further the rifle moves to the rear.

The Harris' legs are locked into position & fixed to the rifle. So when recoil causes the rifle to move backwards a little or a lot, the Harris' legs & feet move backwards in lockstep. If the ground is soft & loose under the Harris' feet, then accuracy probably won't suffer if the shooter's fundamentals are strong. If the ground is firm & smooth under the Harris' feet, the bipod may not slide backwards smoothly under recoil. It may lurch or jump -- the dreaded "bipod hop". Severe bipod hop almost always decreases accuracy, producing a WTF flyer.

When an Atlas user "loads" the bipod -- pressing forward on the rifle to eliminate the bipod's leg play -- the rifle can move backward slightly without changing the contact point of the bipod's feet. Meaning no hop, if the shooter has solid fundamentals and the cartridge has reasonable recoil.

The leg slack in Atlas & similar bipods is a huge help for rifle owners with well-developed shooting fundamentals. The slack helps them to keep the sights on POA during the recoil cycle. Which helps in spotting their own impacts, spotting their own trace, and assessing the need for corrective actions for follow up shots.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fritz.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Harris was the best foldable leg bipod for a long time, as it is a definite step up a bunch of cheap bipods. The Harris is sturdy, and it takes a lot of abuse.

When it was introduced, Atlas was labeled as rickety by some. It definitely has some slack/play/wobble compared to the Harris. But the Atlas play was there for a reason -- it helps most shooters shoot better.

Every rifle has some recoil. Even the lowly .223 Remy. Recoil pushes the rifle's buttstock back into the shoulder pocket. The looser the rifle is held in the shoulder pocket, the higher the recoil inherent to a cartridge, the further the rifle moves to the rear.

The Harris' legs are locked into position & fixed to the rifle. So when recoil causes the rifle to move backwards a little or a lot, the Harris' legs & feet move backwards in lockstep. If the ground is soft & loose under the Harris' feet, then accuracy probably won't suffer if the shooter's fundamentals are strong. If the ground is firm & smooth under the Harris' feet, the bipod may not slide backwards smoothly under recoil. It may lurch or jump -- the dreaded "bipod hop". Severe bipod hop almost always decreases accuracy, producing a WTF flyer.

When an Atlas user "loads" the bipod -- pressing forward on the rifle to eliminate the bipod's leg play -- the rifle can move backward slightly without changing the contact point of the bipod's feet. Meaning no hop, if the shooter has solid fundamentals and the cartridge has reasonable recoil.

The leg slack in Atlas & similar bipods is a huge help for rifle owners with well-developed shooting fundamentals. The slack helps them to keep the sights on POA during the recoil cycle. Which helps in spotting their own impacts, spotting their own trace, and assessing the need for corrective actions for follow up shots.

Great post, thank you.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
My only bipod is an FTR unit, as seen below, (unsure of the brand) sourced from NikonUser on here when he upgraded his FTR rifle to newer/better.
It's bulky & cumbersome, and takes a bit to get set up (all screw-down adjustments), but awesome for stability.

May look into some of the 2-legged units mentioned here for non-range use for the AR & when in the field with the Tikka.

That is a Sinclair F-TR bipod. It was my first sky-type bipod and it is a great one. This was Sinclair's second F-class bipod. They made a 3rd one that was lighter but it wasn't as good as this one; it had a tendency to twist.

I'm so glad you still have it and use it.

For the last 7+ years, I have been using a Seb Joy Pod. It's extremely light and it does a great job, but it is a pedestal-type. By that, I mean that the rifle sits on top of the bipod. I like the cradle type like the one in the picture here, because I believe that it buffers the recoil better than the pedestal-type.

For the high degree of precision that is required in F-class, the sky types are better than the loaded types. You have to learn to let the biood do its job while you are doing yours with your follow-through. The Harris-type bipods seemed to have much more hop when used on a hard surface because the rifle sits on top of legs, thus getting the full impact of the legs right under the forend.

These sky-types are useless in anything but prone on a flat surface.

Edited for speellin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NikonUser,

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Works pretty well from a bench, too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Works pretty well from a bench, too.

Of that, I have no doubt. I had a great time with that bipod developing loads at the club with concrete benches. I would put it on top of a piece of wood or carpet so it would slide easily.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atlas makes a great bipod. For the money, I prefer Harris. They work well are not overly complicated, feel like a decent value.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I got an email from MCT on their bipods the other day.
Looks like decent product as all MCT is and the folks their are great.
Prices are similar to Atlas.

https://mdttac.com/ckye-pod/

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post