SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Barrett M82A1 - Happy or Regretful Owners?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrett M82A1 - Happy or Regretful Owners? Login/Join 
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Barrett responded.

"If there are any parts that you would want to purchase that are not listed, you can contact us and we could place an order over the phone with you."

As others have stated, Barrett does seem to be a very good company to work with, and their staff, helpful.

After considering that I really don't have a place to use this beast, I need to be sane and step away from the inclination to purchase. I still want one, but seriously, I just don't know if it's a good decision. If I'm experiencing ambiguity with a large sum of money on the line, the best practice will have to be to suspend the urge and hope it passes.

Thank you all for talking some "sense" into me. Hopefully it continues to work. With every year that goes by, I grow in my acceptance that I have some gun issues.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alptraum:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I have shot enough rounds of 50BMG to know that I really have no desire to shoot more. Even with a semi-auto action and a muzzle brake, the recoil is unpleasant. Many shooters don't get too excited about 5 or maybe 10 rounds through a 50. 20 rounds sucks. 30 rounds is enough to call it a day for just about anything else.

Was that out of an 82? I know you have way more long range shooting experience than I (I enjoy your posts and have leared quite a bit), I just find this odd. I've shot hundred+ rounds from an 82a1 in a single session with no issues. Heck, I've helped 12 year olds shoot one. For that gun specifically (due to the design) recoil really isn't bad at all. Just about any other model .50bmg I'd probably agree with you.

^^^this

The 82A1 has big brake, barrel on springs, whopping bolt, and kicks more (or only) like a high brass 12 ga. Even the report is tamer than a 300 win mag. It has a big dog bark, but not the crack of the small dog on your ear. What it DOES do is kick up a lot of wind and dust, so learn to shoot with your mouth closed, LOL.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1989 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I have shot enough rounds of 50BMG to know that I really have no desire to shoot more. Even with a semi-auto action and a muzzle brake, the recoil is unpleasant. Many shooters don't get too excited about 5 or maybe 10 rounds through a 50. 20 rounds sucks. 30 rounds is enough to call it a day for just about anything else.

Was that out of an 82? I know you have way more long range shooting experience than I (I enjoy your posts and have leared quite a bit), I just find this odd. I've shot hundred+ rounds from an 82a1 in a single session with no issues. Heck, I've helped 12 year olds shoot one. For that gun specifically (due to the design) recoil really isn't bad at all. Just about any other model .50bmg I'd probably agree with you.

My shoulder was more sore from a leisurely round of sporting Clay's with a 12ga than half a dozen from an M99.
I was expecting shoulder abusing pain from it, and was quite surprised.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awa762:
Barrett responded.

"If there are any parts that you would want to purchase that are not listed, you can contact us and we could place an order over the phone with you."

As others have stated, Barrett does seem to be a very good company to work with, and their staff, helpful.

After considering that I really don't have a place to use this beast, I need to be sane and step away from the inclination to purchase. I still want one, but seriously, I just don't know if it's a good decision. If I'm experiencing ambiguity with a large sum of money on the line, the best practice will have to be to suspend the urge and hope it passes.

Thank you all for talking some "sense" into me. Hopefully it continues to work. With every year that goes by, I grow in my acceptance that I have some gun issues.

Space aside, if you want an M82 and you won't lose the house, well, get the m82 Wink I wouldn't sell mine even if I moved to where I couldn't shoot it with any regularity. Just use it as an excuse to go visit a new range somewhere.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
quote:
quote:

^^^this

The 82A1 has big brake, barrel on springs, whopping bolt, and kicks more (or only) like a high brass 12 ga. Even the report is tamer than a 300 win mag. It has a big dog bark, but not the crack of the small dog on your ear. What it DOES do is kick up a lot of wind and dust, so learn to shoot with your mouth closed, LOL.

+1 on the recoil, it is actually quite tame,
\
the muzzle blast can be brutal if you are standing in the area on either side of the shooter, and it will relocate much stuff from the ground ,,

I remember a shoot in the fall when I did not sweep the area in front of me, and ended up covered in leaves after a few rounds

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
\
the muzzle blast can be brutal if you are standing in the area on either side of the shooter, and it will relocate much stuff from the ground ,,

I remember a shoot in the fall when I did not sweep the area in front of me, and ended up covered in leaves after a few rounds

Very tangential to the thread, but wouldn't that effect of the blast work give away a sniper's location? Either having to sweep beforehand, or the gun doing it shot by shot, you'd think that could indicate a sniper's whereabouts. How do the military users deal with that?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Will the Barrett probably fit inside of the trunk of a sedan? Or even a smaller car?

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
\

Very tangential to the thread, but wouldn't that effect of the blast work give away a sniper's location? Either having to sweep beforehand, or the gun doing it shot by shot, you'd think that could indicate a sniper's whereabouts. How do the military users deal with that?

I suspect at around ~1,200 meters and further out, most people wouldn't be able to see a few leaves and dirt fly around Wink

To the OP - I passed on one a handful of years ago as I was back in college and it wasn't in the cards at the time. The prices have gone up a bit, but not as much as I thought they would have. I have zero reason to own one other than "why not?" Maybe one day down the road I'll find one, but it's not high on my list.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awa762:
Will the Barrett probably fit inside of the trunk of a sedan? Or even a smaller car?

Broken down into two pieces for transport? Sure.
The top receiver is removed and the barrel slides back into it leaving the bolt etc pinned within the lower assembley. The whole gun comes in a Pelican 1750 case, but other more manageable cases could be used

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My Boss had one, one with the older plastic cases, not the Pelican.

He offered, but I never shot it. I had the pleasure of cleaning it a couple of times.

he eventually decided to sell it. As I remember, it cost in excess of $125.00, just to ship it to its new owner.

After a couple of months without it, he decided to buy another. This was a newer model with the Pelican case.

I enjoy cleaning this one as well. It is incredibly well built, IMO.

He has a farm out in the country, where we can shoot at 300+ yards.

So, no I have never owned one. Not sure I would have a use for one.

However, my Boss has owned 2 and I don't see him selling the one he has, any time soon.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My range banned them so I sold mine.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post