SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Barrett M82A1 - Happy or Regretful Owners?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrett M82A1 - Happy or Regretful Owners? Login/Join 
Picture of awa762
posted
I'm considering a Barrett M82A1.

Do any current or previous owners at Sigforum have a positive or negative experience with owning the Barrett? Any regrets?

Big question: Spare parts. I know that I won't be shooting the gun to pieces. There isn't any way that I'll be spending that kind of money on .50 can ammo, even if I reload it. However, I tend to insist that I must own a spare parts kit for every firearm that I acquire. I'm not seeing any spare recoil springs, extractor springs, extractors, firing spring assemblies, etc... for the Barrett. Just a limited number of spare parts are offered on Barret's store website.

Does anyone know of a source for such spare parts?

I emailed Barrett and asked them if some of the above-mentioned parts are obtainable.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try calling Barrett instead of just emailing them. A email is to easy to delete or ignore but a phone call connects you to a actual person that may be able to provide you the parts kit you're looking for.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The real question is do you have reasonable access to land to shoot it at ranges it was designed for?

If the answer is no, move along.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
For the others I would just contact Barrett.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...del_1=Beretta__M82A1

No regrets in owning one for me. Just make sure you have the room to shoot it and store it.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Only experience I have is a half dozen rounds behind an M99, shocking how little it hit the shoulder for what it is.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

No regrets in owning one for me. Just make sure you have the room to shoot it and store it.

this,

I had one for a few years,
got rid of it since I had no where to shoot it beyond 100,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me the minimum range to have for a beast like that would be 500 yards. Yeah, I can see zeroing it at 100, but after that you'd go out far.

Everytime I travel out west I understand a rifle like this, or 338LM and the other long range calibers, but where I am in the South, getting beyond 200 is a chore for practice and not remotely practical for hunting as the trees are everywhere.

posted Hide Post
They're great guns and extremely durable. Due to the design they also have fairly light recoil. I've shot a few hundred rounds at a time multiple times (I wasn't paying for the ammo thankfully) and didn't even notice it. I can't say the same about a day shooting a few hundred rounds of 12ga buckshot. Having said that, I'd recommend it if you want something like that. Pricey, but very well made.

For parts I'd do as others have suggested and just call Barrett. I'd also repeat the point about having access to the distances to shoot it. I've enjoyably shot them as close as 300-400 yards (but heck, you can do that with .223). 800-1000+ is much better. If you don't have the capability to shoot long distances I'd stay away unless you just like an extremely large, heavy, and expensive gun that requires expensive ammo and has a very large muzzle blast. But they are cool and fun to shoot.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You asked mostly about parts. There is simply no company better on parts than Barrett. period.
If you need a part it will be sent to you promptly. I can say this across several models as I love Barrett. The odds you need a part on this gun is pretty low unless you are shooting tons, especially for the parts you mention, but ok I understand the concern. I've the std. spare parts kit and never needed any of it. This is with two M82A1. The only part I have needed I called and they sent that promptly once I called.
If you would like a .50 there is no downside to this one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The real question is do you have reasonable access to land to shoot it at ranges it was designed for?

If the answer is no, move along.

I'd second this. I sold mine off 2 years after my local range banned them Mad loved the gun. Ditto for what other said about parts and service, they are great!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot that, my local range doesn't allow 50cal either.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have 24/7 access to one as I store one for a friend. I've had it now for 15 years or so.

He was ready to sell it a few years back as he really had only a 300 yd range to shoot it. We can shoot 600 yds here ,but the noise as well as the occasional undetected tracer rd , made for issues. Didn't want to start a fire and burn my neighbors out.

Then I joined the gun club and we had access to a 500 to 1200 yd range that was several berms in arid prairie, with little to burn. THAT made shooting the gun far more fun. We can even go 1650 yds on one of the hills.

For me the 82 boils down to TWO questions...Can one afford ammo or have a military "in" to get some? And can you shoot it out past 1000 to 1500 yds?

This gun has been reliable, zero issues.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

For me the 82 boils down to TWO questions...Can one afford ammo or have a military "in" to get some?

Anybody with such an "in" would be well advised to be prepared for an eventual visit from that service's criminal investigative division.

I'm well aware that ammo can be made to disappear from ranges for all sorts of reasons, and it's often unreported or not pursued.

If it is, it can be a big deal.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the replies.

The farthest reliable distance for me to shoot will be 200 yards, and I have every-so-often access to 300 yards.

I'm less enthused regarding this possible acquisition after reflecting on this distance / utility issue for the past day.

I continue to see value in the item for these reasons:

A. The Barrett M82 (and other semi auto 50 BMGs) are the most power and range one can get without a special destructive device license.

B. Any red-blooded American should own one just for the sake of possessing it provided that they have the will and the cash. Guns like the Barrett actually give the 2nd Amendment a nice set of fangs. Imagine if every 10th American owned one. Oh what a country (dream on...).

C. It's on the exotic side, just as full auto Class III guns are, and the Barrett's price isn't grossly skewed by limited supply. This is in contrast to "machine guns," which aside from the legally imposed supply limitation, shouldn't cost much more than any of the semi-autos we all own. In this sense, I see the barrett to have good value.

D. If it does fall under regulation in the future, I'll be happy that I bought one when I did, when I had the chance, and when life's circumstances allowed me to do so. So often do I hear people say all of the things that they "could have done," back in the day, when they weren't limited. Carpe diem speaks.

E. It is an excellent firearm to own if a particular segment of the country destablizes. Very rare event. Very unlikely to happen. Hope it never does.

F. In the case of E., it would be greatly helpful, even if only psychologically, to a cooperating group of individuals. Need to take out a Technical? 1000 yards you say? Shooter capable of doing so? Done.

I still plan to call Barrett and see what they have to say. When I do so, I'll post their response.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mean dude, if you have the $15K it takes to get the rifle, a suitable optic, and ammo, GO FOR IT!!!!!

Just don't come back as ask what optic we recommend "under $500/$1000" for it! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I have shot enough rounds of 50BMG to know that I really have no desire to shoot more. Even with a semi-auto action and a muzzle brake, the recoil is unpleasant. Many shooters don't get too excited about 5 or maybe 10 rounds through a 50. 20 rounds sucks. 30 rounds is enough to call it a day for just about anything else.

Jacob Bynum of Rifles Only has instructed a bunch of special forces and contractors on 50BMG rifles. IIRC, the military-based shooters are limited to 20 live fire rounds of 50BMG per day. Therefore the Rifles Only training courses spend a whole lot more time on ballistics charts, evaluating weapon use, and dry firing. Most 50BMG rifles have horribly bad triggers -- stiff, gritty, and uncertain break points. This contributes to most people shooting a 50 with unspectacular accuracy.

Accurate factory 50BMG ammo available to the public is quite limited. Essentially it's Hornady Amax, which starts at $5 per round.

Not only is the 50's recoil unpleasant, there's the back pressure from the brake. I find that after as little as 5 rounds, my sinuses are stuffy and my ears feel pressure. This can be solved with a 50-cal suppressor -- which aren't cheap BTW.

If you're shooting paper with a 50, don't expect the greatest accuracy. Between ammo, recoil, and trigger, it's only the best of the best who produce consistent precision. 50BMG eats steel targets like a snack. 1/2" AR500 is the minimum. Even then, targets inside 1,000 yards become cupped, bowed, and bent. Target hanging systems must be stronger than normal.

I really have no use for 50BMG. I don't fantasize about piecing APCs. If I want to shoot out to 1,000 yards (even beyond!), I have a 6.5 Creedmoor that does quite well. If I really wanted an accurate extended long range rifle, I would choose a magnum-something with a 7mm or 30-cal bore. If I wanted to compete in the 1.5 to 2 mile game, I would likely choose something with a 338 or 375 bore.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The few times that I have shot one, I am always surprise at the recoil being lower than I expect. The cheapest ammo I have seen is $2.20 rd here:

https://www.theamericanmarksma...-BMG-Ammo_c_241.html

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you want a .50 get a .50. The price of ammo isn't a big deal because you aren't likely to shoot a zillion rounds. Hornady amax is very good, but there are plenty of perfectly serviceable options for practice at 1/2 that price. Heck its cheaper for me to shoot a .50 than my .338LM. Recoil isn't a big issue on the Barrett. I have not shot any of the bolt actions so I can't say anything about them.
There is really no downside to owning one that I can figure.
As Rhinowso says don't bother coming back for a $1000 optic. I use a NF NXS and it hasn't complained yet.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
ornady amax is very good, but there are plenty of perfectly serviceable options for practice at 1/2 that price. Heck its cheaper for me to shoot a .50 than my .338LM.

Not in apples-to-apples ammo comparisons.

50BMG FMJ ammo can be purchased pretty easily in the $2.50 to $3.00 per round ballpark. There are a number of options. But Hornady's match Amax ammo starts at around $5.00 each. As with any rifle, ball 50BMG ammo goes bang, then impacts sorta-kinda-closish to point of aim. If all goes well.

338LM FMJ can be purchased pretty easily in the $2.30 to $2.75 per round ballpark. Even though 338LM is an accurate cartridge with match ammo, it shoots ball ammo just like everything else -- not all that accurately. S&B SMK ammo can be found pretty easily for $2.50 per round. It's a very accurate round, but it has a relatively slow MV and a bullet with a relatively low BC. As a result, the S&B ammo isn't for distances much beyond 1500 yards, especially in denser air. Hornady's match ammo is very accurate and can be found pretty easily in the $3.70 to $4.00 ballpark.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I have shot enough rounds of 50BMG to know that I really have no desire to shoot more. Even with a semi-auto action and a muzzle brake, the recoil is unpleasant. Many shooters don't get too excited about 5 or maybe 10 rounds through a 50. 20 rounds sucks. 30 rounds is enough to call it a day for just about anything else.

Was that out of an 82? I know you have way more long range shooting experience than I (I enjoy your posts and have leared quite a bit), I just find this odd. I've shot hundred+ rounds from an 82a1 in a single session with no issues. Heck, I've helped 12 year olds shoot one. For that gun specifically (due to the design) recoil really isn't bad at all. Just about any other model .50bmg I'd probably agree with you.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post