SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need help identifying these stocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help identifying these stocks Login/Join 
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted
These were in with something else I bought at auction.

I suspect the unfinished one is a blank.

The top, older one has a trap door.

Stock
Stock 1

Stock 2

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Top one looks like a 03A3 stock.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39765 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Top one looks like a 03A3 stock.

Close. It a (non-A3) M1903 stock.

The M1903A3 handguard extends all the way back to the receiver, whereas the M1903 handguard ends at the front sight base mounted forward of the receiver. Thus the M1903 handguard is shorter, and has a more exaggerated hump just behind the rear band, just like the OP's handguard.

M1903A3 stocks also lack the grasping grooves seen in the center portion of most M1903 stocks, which the OP's stock features. So that's another clue it's a M1903 and not M1903A3 stock, even besides the M1903 handguard. Inclusion of those grasping grooves ended in ~1941, prior to the M1903A3's introduction. So late production 1942ish M1903 stocks, and the later M1903A3 stocks, won't have those.

M1903 on top; M1903A3 on bottom:

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much!!

Posts: 14013 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Springfield stock is a two bolt stock making it a later variant of the grasping groove type stocks.

Are there any markings on the left side of the stock or on the tip of the forend? Are there makings anywhere else?

Posts: 926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
The Springfield stock is a two bolt stock making it a later variant of the grasping groove type stocks.

Are there any markings on the left side of the stock or on the tip of the forend? Are there makings anywhere else?

I looked and keep in mind, I don't know what to looking FOR. But I didn't see anything,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
quote:

I looked and keep in mind, I don't know what to looking FOR. But I didn't see anything,

Mostly you'd be looking for letters, the occasional number. Generally, the markings are fairly obvious so they may no longer be present if there were ever there to begin with.

The bottom of the wrist is often marked with a P in a circle as a proof mark. Inspector cartouches would be on the left side of the wrist and are letters. Arsenal rebuild mark are generally there too and could be letters or numbers.

Some stocks had drawing number or rifle S/N's located near the rear swivel.

Hard to tell from your pics, is the right side of the stock notched to clear the bolt handle?

Posts: 926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The second stock looks like a wood shop project.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Second stock may well have been an attempt at a homemade replacement sporter stock for the rifle that was wearing the first. Owner may have given up, bought something else, and those two have been languishing together, but separate from the rifle for some time.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Second stock may well have been an attempt at a homemade replacement sporter stock for the rifle that was wearing the first.

Which is greatly preferable to the common practice of simply chopping up the original military stock.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
quote:

Mostly you'd be looking for letters, the occasional number. Generally, the markings are fairly obvious so they may no longer be present if there were ever there to begin with.

The bottom of the wrist is often marked with a P in a circle as a proof mark. Inspector cartouches would be on the left side of the wrist and are letters. Arsenal rebuild mark are generally there too and could be letters or numbers.

Some stocks had drawing number or rifle S/N's located near the rear swivel.

Hard to tell from your pics, is the right side of the stock notched to clear the bolt handle?

About the only letter I could find looks like a "H" on the left side.
Letter H

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:About the only letter I could find looks like a "H" on the left side.
Letter H

According to a fellow I correspond with occasionally on another forum that has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the '03, that "H" means your stock was made by Springfield Armory.

Check your email.

Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:About the only letter I could find looks like a "H" on the left side.
Letter H

According to a fellow I correspond with occasionally on another forum that has forgotten more than I'll ever know about the '03, that "H" means your stock was made by Springfield Armory.

Check your email.

Thanks again for everyones help!!