SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fightlite SCR / Radical 16” .300 AAC (Updated OP 03-20-19)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fightlite SCR / Radical 16” .300 AAC (Updated OP 03-20-19) Login/Join 
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted
File under: Now for something completely different:

No. 1 The Larch
No. 2 This new assemblage:

This is a Fightlite SCR lower, mated to a Radical Firearms 16” .300 AAC AR upper. The irons are Daniel Defense (see note below regarding different front sight post), and the cheek riser is a Bradley Adjustable. I added the factory optional bolt hold-open, and an Arms Unlimited ambi mag release.

To me this is a modern, yet also traditional .30 cal carbine. A simple 200 yd. gun.

I was about to put together an A2 lower with wood furniture as Arcwelder76 recently posted in the Gallery. I happened instead upon the Fightlite SCR lower during my research. I really like the concept of a traditional stocked AR. Nearly all of the modularity/functionality of the AR platform, but with a traditional rifle stock / grip that I like. Since this lower will also see my other AR uppers, I elected to go with a cheek riser to maintain the same cheek weld / sight picture as with my standard AR lower.

On this rifle I’m trying out one of Blitzkreig Component’s chevron front sight posts. It’s their yellow photo luminescent one and I really like it so far. Note: It’s only got one face, so you have less elevation adjustment possible (full turn up or down vs. ¼ turn adjustments).

I've actually had this upper for over a year and it has been great. Iron sights and long sight radius are nice and old-school on this.

With the SCR lower and the new front post, I needed to get this rifle sorted-out on paper first. Inside at 25 yds has been fun doing so. It's a little heavy, but the recoil is pretty light. Looking forward to getting outside for longer distances and confirm the drop of the .300. I am set up for a 25/200 zero using 150 grain supers so far.

Stay tuned...

03-20-19 Update

Still indoors, I've made a couple subsequent range trips to sample my other uppers.

With my .450 Bushmaster upper I lobbed 20 rounds downrange. No issues, except the bolt hold-open only functioned once out of 4 magazines. I should have mentioned in my initial trip with the .300 AAC upper that the BHO was also failing to engage quite a bit. I was hoping that it just needed some breaking in. That may still be the case.

Today, I fired 80 rounds with my scoped 5.56 upper (8 times with a 10 round magazine). No issues again - except for the BHO. It only engaged with one magazine.

Clearly its barely catching as simply dropping the mag is enough for it to slip into battery without touching the lever itself.

Disappointing! I plan on removing the BHO and inspecting it. I may send it back in as it is a proprietary Fightlite piece, and not Mil-Spec.

Any wisdom from SigForum regarding slippery BHO's?

Thanks!

Todd

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phxtoad,

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
A much cooler looking gun than I would have imagined. Looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I always thought that the Fightlite SCR lower. Matted with a 458 socom upper. Would make a great gun.

Not sure why. Maybe just the idea of it being so un traditional.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I dig it.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty good. There will be detracters, but screw them. I like the vibe. There is a lot of good to have in a stocked traditional rifle that takes parts of both the ar and rifle platforms.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nice. How's the balance compared to an AR setup?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've been watching teh SCR for a bit. As soon as there's a viable wood stock and handguard setup, I'm buying one.

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I kinda got a chubby there for a minute...I liked it. Big Grin

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If those are AR height sights, I would recommend going to shorter sights. Like these HK style sights.

https://troyind.com/products/m...t-and-round-rear-blk

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Not going to lie, that’s definitely a nice looking rifle. I may need to do something similar as I just don’t find the AR platform very exciting and this may be more my speed.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I've been watching teh SCR for a bit. As soon as there's a viable wood stock and handguard setup, I'm buying one.

1100 stocks can fit with some work from what I've read.

I completely dig the look of the SCR. I plan to eventually have one, paired with a side-charging upper.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I always thought that the Fightlite SCR lower. Matted with a 458 socom upper. Would make a great gun.

Sans cheek riser, here's what a .450 Bushmaster upper looks like on it. Thump close enough?

Todd

phxtoad

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If those are AR height sights, I would recommend going to shorter sights. Like these HK style sights.

Yes - or the CZ Scorpion ones would also be good if this was going to be a dedicated upper. The lower sights would look better. However, to be as functional as possible I'm maintaining the AR sight height so my uppers can swap in/out as needed.

phxtoad

Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
1100 stocks can fit with some work from what I've read.

I completely dig the look of the SCR. I plan to eventually have one, paired with a side-charging upper.

I've seen the pictures of the 1100 stock swaps and it's intriguing. I would really like that. I'm not gonna monkey with it (yet...)

A sidecharging upper would be real nice.

phxtoad

posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the SCR. I kind of want to do a SCR SBR.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Nice. How's the balance compared to an AR setup?

I just checked. The weight is 8 lbs, as shown but without the magazine. The balance point is the middle of the mag well.

phxtoad

Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Updated OP

phxtoad