SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Painted another AR
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painted another AR Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
Went wayyy outta my comfort zone on this one. In my head I thought an urban flektarn would look neat so I ordered some new paints and stencils and went to work on the SPR. Took several hours, I don't know if I'd do it again with stencils like this (pain in the ass) but I think it came out pretty solid!

In natural light after curing overnight:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Very good. The idea is to obscure the outline of the rifle when viewed from a distance. Therefore, a larger pattern is called for. When viewed from a distance, a smaller pattern will simply be interpreted by the eye/brain as a weighted aggregate of the colors used.

My interest in such things is limited to an urban camouflage, because if I'm going to ever need to use a rifle for serious purposes, it will not be in the woods.

The colors and pattern you've chosen for that rifle make a lot of sense for an urban environment.

That being said- I, like many others, would have a hard time actually taking the plunge and painting my rifles. In a pinch, some colored masking or duct tape might do the trick to break up the outline of a rifle.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Very good. The idea is to obscure the outline of the rifle when viewed from a distance. Therefore, a larger pattern is called for. When viewed from a distance, a smaller pattern will simply be interpreted by the eye/brain as a weighted aggregate of the colors used.

I mentioned this in Andy's prior thread, but I like a few wide, unevenly spaced stripes with uneven, jagged edges for that reason. A few days ago I had out a rifle I had painted next to one I had not. Just propped up against a coffee table, at a quick glance, the black rifle jumped out at me and for a split second I had forgotten that I put the other next to it because it didn't register at first. Effective outline breakup is my goal.

quote:
That being said- I, like many others, would have a hard time actually painting my rifles. In a pinch, some colored masking or duct tape might do the trick to break up the outline of a rifle.

Tan hockey tape is currently the cheap and dirty solution I'm seeing people use. Again, not the whole rifle, just some wide stripes, usually around the handguard.

I've painted the same lower twice with two different uppers on it. I've got a couple other rifles I may yet paint. I've thought it over and decided that at the very least, keeping a selection of paints on hand that I can quickly and easily give a few wide stripes is a decent enough compromise.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:

That being said- I, like many others, would have a hard time actually taking the plunge and painting my rifles. In a pinch, some colored masking or duct tape might do the trick to break up the outline of a rifle.

I think in a pinch the tape would do just fine. One reason I decided to use spray paints on the guns over cerekote or similar is I can strip it pretty easily. Takes a little bit of sting out of painting it knowing I can go back if I wanted.

For anyone interested check out Freedom Stencils. Based out of Montana and they have a bunch of different patterns available. The flecktarn patterns takes a little effort to place. Got a set of Nam Tiger Stripe I'm thinking about putting to use. Same for the paint, Montana Black series. Lot of matte colors available

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Looks great!
My paint jobs are a lot more yee haw. They blend into the mountain environment around here really good though.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Looks great!
My paint jobs are a lot more yee haw. They blend into the mountain environment around here really good though.

I bet they blend great, looks awesome.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I have another one I was going to paint up using similar colors you have on your rifle. I wanted a more rocky, granite look.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That looks professional. Reminds me of some of the DSA Duracoat jobs they used to offer.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7011 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Man, I really like that urban camo job!!!! It looks great - seems the trend is going away from painting up rifles lately, where 15 years ago it was all the rage. I kinda like personalizing them.

Posts: 842 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. I may need to start a painted gun thread in the photo forum, I'd love to see the painted guns of Sigforum.

Added a photo of it in the daylight to the original post.

posted Hide Post
Very nice looking job. I, like others, am afraid to try anything like that as I would probably screw it up. Some of you guys have some talent.
I didn't do these and can take no credit but I found a couple I would like to do but they would really serve no purpose for me but are really well done.

Posts: 7045 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Pat, I think those would be really doable with some painters tape and 3 or 4 camo colors from Walmart. Just take the time to prep it and it'll be smooth sailing

posted Hide Post
A man painting his rifle represents, in part, a commitment to the rifle that some are unwilling to make. Andyb mentioned spray paint being removable, and that being a perk, when compared to something like cerakote. While that is true, I think another facet of the same perk is the way a painted gun can wear. All of the guns pictured in this thread are handsome, and likely effectively camouflaged in a (hopefully relevant to the user) given environment. They'll mature with use, to achieve a real character of their own. It's akin, IMO, to an honest hunting rifle in a wood stock, with it's knicks, dents, gouges, and worn spots.

One of my painted guns is aged to perfection, and I'll honestly be a bit sad to see it leave it's peak behind, and eventually need re-painting. Another is about to get a refreshed coat, once a new part comes in, and is installed. I am inclined to go the way of Smudge, with rather large sections of starkly contrasting hues.

Nice guns, Ryan, Pat, and Andy. I hope we get updated pictures of that MK12, a year or two from now.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
A man painting his rifle represents, in part, a commitment to the rifle that some are unwilling to make.
What does that mean? What "commitment"? A man who doesn't paint his rifle isn't serious about using it? Do you know who some of the people are who paint their guns? LARPers who haven't so much as fired a single magazine of ammunition through their rifles. You speak of rifles taking on "character" through wear. LARPers again, painting and then "aging" their rifles (and handguns) by wearing down the finish in an evening in front of the TV.

I find no connection whatsoever between the painting of rifles and an earnest desire to become a marksman and the acquiring of useful, practical, tactical skills not realizable on a square range.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant it in the context that some folks won't want to paint something because they don't want to hinder resale value. So it represents a commitment to the gun insofar as it is a gun that you see yourself keeping and using thoroughly.

Of course that's not to say that if someone doesn't care to paint a gun that they don't have the intent to use said gun in such a thorough manner. It's to say that if someone does paint it, chances are good that they do.

Or there's the, IMO, slimmer chance that they're a LARPer or clone builder who just wants the painted look. And I sympathize with clone guys, to a point, as I have an affection for the worn paint aesthetic of early-mid GWOT rifles.

Posts: 2454 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A man painting his rifle represents, in part, a commitment to the rifle that some are unwilling to make.
What does that mean? What "commitment"? A man who doesn't paint his rifle isn't serious about using it?

I find no connection whatsoever between the painting of rifles and an earnest desire to become a marksman and the acquiring of useful, practical, tactical skills not realizable on a square range.

bingo
For many, commitment entails dedication to perfecting the craft marksmanship.

quote:
I meant it in the context that some folks won't want to paint something because they don't want to hinder resale value. So it represents a commitment to the gun insofar as it is a gun that you see yourself keeping and using thoroughly.

For many precision and multi-gun competitors, not really. Dedicated competitors understand that with enough time, most rifle components become wear parts. The components might fail outright, might fail to produce the owner's expected performance, or might become obsolete due to better products coming to market. The added time & expense to paint/finish often doesn't make sense. There are lots of shiny stainless barrels out there, especially for folks who shoot out a barrel or two a year. Or even every 2nd or 3rd year.

Such competitors often have no concern for resale value, especially with ARs. If they're comfy with the rifle's performance, they'll just keep replacing/upgrading components until it's time to move on to the next rifle.

Go to a few steel/PRS/NRL/field/precision/multi-gun matches and you'll consistently find camo in a few areas -- suppressor covers, rear bags, jackets. The rifles themselves often show noticeable wear on their original finishes.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand and appreciate that you are on another level, fritz. I am not there. With your tips, and help from others, I hope to improve. Y'all set the bar high, and that's a good thing. I can't afford to shoot enough to warrant frequent parts changes, and I am not on the "cutting edge", so obsolescence isn't a huge factor for me either.

I sure hope that neither you nor Para thought that I measure commitment in layers of paint on a gun, as opposed to meaningful marksmanship performance.

I spread myself (perhaps too) thin, across various facets of preparedness, in the context of the American civilian "Minuteman". Making efforts to camouflage oneself and equipment is part of that. I comment on a broad spectrum of topics on SF; none of them as an expert in whatever field the topic may fall within. Perhaps the way I write gives the impression that I lend more weight to things than I actually do; I really just try to be thorough and honest in my comments. I also make efforts to provoke thought in other members. I guess I did exactly that, with my comments on painting guns!

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
What kind of paint is that? Assuming we aren't talking wally rattle cans are we?

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7011 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
What kind of paint is that? Assuming we aren't talking wally rattle cans are we?

I like this stuff.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylo...-WT-11-oz/1000459669

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:

Were definitely talking rattle cans Cool

The brand I used for this is called Montana Black. They might sell it at Lowes but I used Amazon. I've used Rustoleum in the past but they didn't have the grey's I was looking for