SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need some help with my new to me Browning A5 Light 12 (JMBs version, not that bastardized new one)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help with my new to me Browning A5 Light 12 (JMBs version, not that bastardized new one) Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
Stumbled across a gun I've been wanting for a long time at Cabela's in Mitchell, SD last month and purchased it. Not a great deal, but price was ok, so I bought it because it was what I'd always wanted. Browning A5 Light 12, newer production with modern choke tubes rather than fixed choke.

Problem one, it has had a lot of rounds through it, metal's in good shape, but it has just a few small spots of rust it the chrome on the bolt and the shell lifter that I'd like to try and get rid of, but don't know how to do it safely/properly.

Problem two, it only came with a single modified choke. I bought a Carlson's IC choke while I was there so I could bunt with it (pheasants), but I was very un-impressed with it on closer inspection when I returned from my trip. There was a burr and ridge on the front edge. I would like to get a new set of chokes (Skeet, IC, and Mod, possibly Imp-Mod) for it, but I know nothing about choke brands or what to look for. It uses Browning's Invector Plus pattern.

Last, the forearm has some chipping out of the base and has a plastic repair in it already. I'd like to replace it, and am looking for recommendations to look into getting it done right, but not break the bank. This is a shooter and a field gun, not a fancy safe queen. I'd even consider pulling the furniture for synthetic, but the only stuff I see doesn't seem to be real high quality that I can tell, and I can't find the weight, I'd like to keep it as light as possible.

I've already had it completely apart, put a new rebuild kit in it (action spring, recoil spring, fiction rings, etc) and am really looking forward to taking it back out. Thanks for your help!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I always liked the Briley Extended Choke Tubes. They are not cheap but they seem to be a cut above some of the other aftermarket chokes I've had.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would check the serial number and get the year of manufacture, easy with the A-5 & Browning.

I just bought a 1982 A-5, '12 Magnum', made in Japan of course. The 32" fixed choke barrel is off getting cut down & threaded for chokes. This is a project, shooter gun afterall. I would of chose a lighter, maybe 16 or 20, but the price was right with this.

I like Trulock Chokes, usually the 'Precision Hunter' of some fashion.

With my A-5 I took the stock off but left the receiver intact. I gave it a fair deep cleaning, spray gunscubber and brake cleaner for internals. Only the rear screw needs to come off for buttstock removal, it may be very tight. Videos are available if desired.

Yeah, those 'friction pieces/rings' need to be set properly. There seems to be some room for experimentation, depending on what one is trying to accomplish.

I'm still in the process of setting mine up. My goal was to scratch that 'humpback' itch at the lower price point. Those 'sweet sixteens' break $1k easily on Gunbroker.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
This one was made in 1993. Already been torn down completely, except the levers pinned on the inside of the receiver, for complete cleaning and the new springs. Midwest Gun Works has the parts needed to replace the friction rings, springs, etc. The kits were sold out, but I just bought each individual part that was included in them. Looks like they have the necessary stuff for the A-5 Magnum as well.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
It uses Browning's Invector Plus pattern.

Chokes are the only things I can comment on here.

Invector Plus chokes work quite well. In my 12, 20, and 28 gauge shotguns they produce consistent patterns across the entire choke lines. Extended tubes are easier to remove by hand and produce better patterns than the shorter choke tubes, so I recommend them. Avoid ported chokes -- all they really do is make the shotgun loader to you and nearby shooters.

The more expensive Invector chokes have nicer exterior and interior finishes. The exterior finish is purely cosmetic. However the interior finish has a function -- the better finishes clean more easily. Functionally, there's really little practical difference between the Invector lines.

It's been rumored that Briley makes Brownings Invector chokes. Thus, either one should work as well as the other.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Found a set of Browning Diana extended chokes on sale, so picked up those. Thanks for the recommendations!

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I would check the serial number and get the year of manufacture, easy with the A-5 & Browning.

I just bought a 1982 A-5, '12 Magnum', made in Japan of course. The 32" fixed choke barrel is off getting cut down & threaded for chokes. This is a project, shooter gun afterall. I would of chose a lighter, maybe 16 or 20, but the price was right with this.

I like Trulock Chokes, usually the 'Precision Hunter' of some fashion.

With my A-5 I took the stock off but left the receiver intact. I gave it a fair deep cleaning, spray gunscubber and brake cleaner for internals. Only the rear screw needs to come off for buttstock removal, it may be very tight. Videos are available if desired.

Yeah, those 'friction pieces/rings' need to be set properly. There seems to be some room for experimentation, depending on what one is trying to accomplish.

I'm still in the process of setting mine up. My goal was to scratch that 'humpback' itch at the lower price point. Those 'sweet sixteens' break $1k easily on Gunbroker.

32's usually bring a premium

you should consider selling it and using the funds to get a shorter barrel,

check sold prices on ebay for example to see what you can get for it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Stumbled across a gun I've been wanting for a long time at Cabela's in Mitchell, SD last month and purchased it. Not a great deal, but price was ok, so I bought it because it was what I'd always wanted. Browning A5 Light 12, newer production with modern choke tubes rather than fixed choke.

Problem one, it has had a lot of rounds through it, metal's in good shape, but it has just a few small spots of rust it the chrome on the bolt and the shell lifter that I'd like to try and get rid of, but don't know how to do it safely/properly.

Problem two, it only came with a single modified choke. I bought a Carlson's IC choke while I was there so I could bunt with it (pheasants), but I was very un-impressed with it on closer inspection when I returned from my trip. There was a burr and ridge on the front edge. I would like to get a new set of chokes (Skeet, IC, and Mod, possibly Imp-Mod) for it, but I know nothing about choke brands or what to look for. It uses Browning's Invector Plus pattern.

Last, the forearm has some chipping out of the base and has a plastic repair in it already. I'd like to replace it, and am looking for recommendations to look into getting it done right, but not break the bank. This is a shooter and a field gun, not a fancy safe queen. I'd even consider pulling the furniture for synthetic, but the only stuff I see doesn't seem to be real high quality that I can tell, and I can't find the weight, I'd like to keep it as light as possible.

I've already had it completely apart, put a new rebuild kit in it (action spring, recoil spring, fiction rings, etc) and am really looking forward to taking it back out. Thanks for your help!

Browning makes extended Invector Plus tubes. I have some in my Citori and they’re doing great.

Posts: 331 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd buy Browning brand invector+ choke tubes. They are quite good.

The place to look for parts/upgrades is Midwest Gun Works and the #1 repair/restorer for Brownings is Art's Gun Shop in Missouri.

I prefer Belgian guns... I like the blueing better and they seem to be lighter and the fore ends seem to have a thinner profile. But I have entertained the thought of getting a Jap barrel for a Magnum 12. Phil Robertson killed boatloads of ducks with his A5's back before the non-toxic mandate.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The original Auto-5 is a really cool gun.

The first dead nuts reliable semi-auto, and still getting it done after many years.

However the new ones are really excellent guns.

Basically a Benelli inertia drive with the Browning auto-load feature.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if you can still get them but Butler Creek, Ramline or a similar company used to sell a synthetic black stock and forearm for the original A5. It’s been a few years since I last looked but replacement wood stocks and/or forearms were quite pricey. I have a replacement synthetic stock and forearm. I originally bought them to put on an A5 as I wanted to cut a barrel down to 18.5, add a two round magazine extension and have the ultimate HD shotgun. However, the ATF felt 922r applied to a shotgun designed 100 years ago but I digress.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
$80 composite stock set...
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/55551

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Personally, I'd buy Browning brand invector+ choke tubes. They are quite good.

The place to look for parts/upgrades is Midwest Gun Works and the #1 repair/restorer for Brownings is Art's Gun Shop in Missouri.

I prefer Belgian guns... I like the blueing better and they seem to be lighter and the fore ends seem to have a thinner profile. But I have entertained the thought of getting a Jap barrel for a Magnum 12. Phil Robertson killed boatloads of ducks with his A5's back before the non-toxic mandate.

I ended up seeking out and buying a Jap model, so that I could shoot steel with it and not worry about damaging a Belgian barrel. At least with my Magnum 12, I keep all the gas rings in the exact same order, and just swap between a Magnum 12 spring (ducks) and a Light 12 spring (doves), and it does great, cycles 100% of the stuff I shoot. Love mine.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post