SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Garand 8 rd clips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garand 8 rd clips Login/Join 
posted
Need some M-1 garand clips. Prefer 8 rd. Recommendations on brands and places to purchase?

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US GI. I got most of mine from using surplus ammo already loaded in the clips. Some from gun shows.
I'd try this place if I was in need of more; from the CMP sales links.

https://ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I decided I should stock up on clips for the Garand. I ordered a bulk shipment off Ebay.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
https://www.robertrtg.com/stor...I-MIL-SPEC-p7461.htm

RTG is good to go, I have bought a ton from them. I have a few of those clips, but sadly no M1 to test them in.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not everyone loves Aggressive Engineering enblocs, which is the only current manufacturer that I am aware of. I've had no issues personally. Marked AEG, AEC or CMP.

I've used loads of USGI, mainly those marked IS, B-W, BRW and SA because those are the most common.

Also got great service from Canadian DAQ, Israeli IMI and Danish unmarked enblocs.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of the AEC enblocs that I got from the CMP, and some actual GI ones. Both function perfectly in my rifles, but the AEC ones are very stiff and a little rougher finished than the older GI clips. They gouge your brass pretty good, and you really have to slam that charging handle to get the first round to strip and chamber. Some of my GI clips are loose enough that the bolt will chamber the first round under spring power alone, but they still hold rounds just fine.

Personally I prefer GI clips if I can get them, but the AEC clips are an acceptable option if you can't. Functionally they're fine...just not quite as nice.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Send me your address.

I have a spare handful.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
When I bought my Garand 15 years ago, I bought a bunch of accessories from Fulton Armory. Paid a bit more than if I had shopped around, but also save a bunch on shipping. Even if you don't buy from them, they have a nice selection to see what is available. And I purchased about a dozen clips from them.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marzy! Email inbound

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the helpful information. This rifle was my wife’s grandpa’s rifle. He recently passed at the age of 100 and was a WWII Seebee. The rifle has been in the family for many years and somewhere along the way the clips got lost. We want to shoot it a bit. I plan to collect the brass, polish it up and get it engraved to give to each of his grandkids and great grandkids.

He was my grandfather as well even if only by marriage. As far as he was concerned I was his grandson and he was my grandfather. Just a great man who will be terribly missed. I think he’d like it best if we actually shot the rifle vs just putting it in the safe. Some years ago he shot hi power with it.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’m sure you’re fully aware, but just make sure you’re shooting .30-06 loaded for the M1. Shooting current .30-06 loads runs the risk of bending the op rod if using the original gas plug.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig, appreciate the heads up!

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how good these are but they make ported gas plugs for the Garand for modern ammo.

ported gas plug

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Captain Morgan! I became aware of those the other day when doing some research of my own. I have a small supply of M2 ball that I'll shoot first. I'm hoping to find some of the new M2 spec ammo that some manufacturers are starting to offer. I don't want to change out the gas plug just yet as I'd rather leave the rifle how it is. We probably won't shoot this rifle a lot. Just on occasion for nostalgia's sake.

Part of the reason I want to shoot it is to make some brass. I intend to take this brass and send it out to be engraved with Grandpa's name, rake, branch and birth/death dates to give to various family members. He has 2 children, 5 grandchildren, and 5 great grandchildren. This doesn't include spouses of grandkids who he considered grandkids as well. When my daughter recently got engaged, grandpa said to her that he had gained another grandson as far as he was concerned.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The good news is that even though the surplus M2 Ball has basically dried up, there are now at least five major ammo manufacturers offering M2 Ball spec ammo for the Garand: Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Sellier & Bellot, and Prvi Partisan.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I’m sure you’re fully aware, but just make sure you’re shooting .30-06 loaded for the M1. Shooting current .30-06 loads runs the risk of bending the op rod if using the original gas plug.

Is the Greek surplus stuff the CMP was slinging about 8-10 years ago considered safe?

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:

Is the Greek surplus stuff the CMP was slinging about 8-10 years ago considered safe?

Generally speaking yes. Some years/lots were better regarded than others. There were also some corrosion issues in some of the boxed ammo. Seems that the glue was not fully dry before ammo was inserted and as a result, some corrosion can be present on the two end rounds on each side of the box.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I am not sure how good these are but they make ported gas plugs for the Garand for modern ammo.

ported gas plug

I installed one on my Garand, It works fine.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The good news is that even though the surplus M2 Ball has basically dried up,

Good thing I stocked up back in the 80's and 90's.

I'm down to around to only about 10,000 rounds left.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The good news is that even though the surplus M2 Ball has basically dried up,

Good thing I stocked up back in the 80's and 90's.

I'm down to around to only about 10,000 rounds left.

Lolz….Nice!

I received your package today. Thank you again for your generosity