SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    30-30 deer challenge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 deer challenge Login/Join 
posted
Hey all,

Where I hunt deer we have the perfect mix of woods close hunting, and open field hunting. I’ve shot deer from 15-150 yards. This next fall I’d like to make a challenge for myself if hunting deer with open sight 30-30. I have a 1939 Winchester model 94, and a 1937 model 64, both in 30-30. My thoughts are to see which one groups better with opens or the marbles tang sight I have in my parts box, then take that out next fall. Part of me loves the nostalgia of a lever gun in the woods, but the 280ai I’ve killed deer and bear with for years is just too dependable to overlook. What do you think of this challenge? Worth’s try or not? Post any pics of your 30-30 deer and any stories.

Posts: 36 | Location: S. Oregon | Registered: December 23, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 is the classic deer gun and this would be a most worthy challenge. If I were to take such a challenge it would be with my late Dad’s 50s era Winchester 25-35 since that is what he used as a teen.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hunted with a Marlin 30-30 for years before I picked up my Tikka 270Win. Our our ranch is more long shots, so the extra that the 270 has over the 30-30 helps.

My Marlin has a poor 3-9x40 on it & I've been meaning to pull it off & just go irons on it.
The Tikka has a Nikon telescope (4-20x50) on it for my poor eyes.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
If the max range you expect to shoot is 150yards, the 30-30 is perfect for that. My 94 is very svelte and light weight, so she handles very nicely.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I love hunting with a lever gun. I use a marlin 44 mag or marlin 30-30. Also use a pistol and bow for a challenge.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt, I can expect shots from 15 yards to 300+
If I have not scored with my bow (like this year) I will use my Encore with either a scoped 30-06 good for shots past as far as I can see, or the open sighted 45-70 barrel. Most places, the 45-70 is fine, but I always have that nagging feeling I’ll see one way out there with the little short range blaster in my hands.
Of course, it’s called hunting, not getting so…..

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
If the max range you expect to shoot is 150yards, the 30-30 is perfect for that.

Agreed. At 150 yards or less, you'll be just fine with the 30-30.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Hornady LeverEvolution ammo makes the 30-30 shoot even better. And the tang sight may prove to be a vast improvement.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I had a Marlin 336CS .30-30 with a Williams peep sight for hunting.

Got my handloading start with it too using Mequon benchrest hand dies.

Windage adjustable tang sights are nice but can be a PITA catching in brush. They also aren't as quick as peeps as they require unfolding.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner has done pretty much the same thing. Low light is his nemesis, sights disappear as much as 40 minutes before legal end. He has gotten to where he hunts field edges early and late. It’s not solved everything but, sacrifices are made.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 226mk25:
...and a 1937 model 64...

Those are nice old rifles. I have one that was manufactured a bit earlier than yours.
It was purchased used by my grandfather, and then passed down to me from my dad.

I have shot it a few times and it shoots great. Quite accurate.
Dad said grandfather knocked down a lot of deer with it.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great challenge. I have a 1972 Marlin 336 in 30-30 that I had set up with a scout scope, but I took it off when I bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. I put a set of skinner sights on it, and I plan on taking a deer with it in that set up at some point....There is just something that feels right about it.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 887 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30-30 has taken more Deer, Elk, and bear than ALL other calibers combined.
It's up to the Hunter, not the rifle.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the Skinner Peep sights, put them on your lever gun and you will find they work fine. I have them on my 1886 4570 and a Henry 22, once the right front sight is installed they are hard to beat.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Loves my Marlins- I hunt exclusively within 40-50 yards so I do all my hunting with .44 mags like this gem.

If I ever start hunting somewhere new with longer range, I have a pile of Marlin 30-30’s to pull from.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post