SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Does anyone here have a Sako TRG-22 or 42?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone here have a Sako TRG-22 or 42? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
I need a favor. I wonder if the scope base to receiver mounting screws are in the same location as those of my TRG-21. I’d like to mount a pic rail to my receiver but the first gen TRG rifles never came with that type of mount since pic rails came long after the TRG-21/41 generation. Or maybe someone knows if the current gen pic rail can fit.

TIA.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK I'm your person. I have many of these. But I am not sure what dimension you want me to measure?
Advise in a way I understand and I'll measure.
Edited to add. I have never mounted a scope directly to a TRG (even though that is possible with SAKO parts) always using the pic rail adapter. And there are version of those but I think I have all the iterations around here.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your time. On the top of the receiver there are 4 screws in line on the TRG-21. Is that the case on your TRG-22? If so, I wonder what the distance is between the center of the first screw closest to the shooter to the center of the second screw. Then the distance between the centers of screw 2 and 3. Then the length between the centers of 3 and 4. then the length between the centers of 1 and 4. If you don't mind.

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can partially do what you want I think without having to disassemble something (which I will happily do if the below doesn't help you) or go grab another rifle but not tonight.
From the end of the top of the receiver to first hole is ~4.5mm, but that hole is not being used by the rail. Nor is the second.
So there are at least 6 threaded holes in the top of receiver as the pic rail has 4 in use. On the TRG22 I am holding (I will grab another as I am not sure they are all this way) the first two screw holes are unused and the pic rail is mounted further forward with 4 screws and two pins. I am unsure in my mind it that's the way it was meant to be or I moved it forward to get the scope forward a bit and it can be installed in more than one way (which I think is the case because the rail has three stop pin holes and the included fasteners have only two stop pins. will try and answer that later.
but I am holding an uninstalled Sako low Pic rail (S5740334) and that has four screw holes and three stop pin holes.
first screw hole to second 65mm
second hole to third 21.5mm
third hole to four 21.5mm
dimensions approx. as I am hand holding to the center of the hole.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10991 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I needed. It's clear that our receivers are not identical. I'll have to look for a picatinny scope base that fits my receiver, have one modified or modify my old school TRG scope base. I'm leaning toward the latter because I like how it returns to zero perfectly when installed.

Thank you for your time. Smile

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Quick follow up: I found and ordered a rail made specifically for my TRG-21. It came out of Europe. I waited patiently and when it was delivered I eagerly attempted to mount it. Nice piece. Well made. Doesn't fit. The dovetail portion is 1000th too small. It's almost there. I can get it so close to sliding on, but it won't go. Took it to a machinist friend. He says he can make it fit perfectly.......but he had to leave on vacation for 10 days. So, hurry up and wait. I see a pattern forming.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
EGW makes Picatinny rail adapters for a number of rifles. I see they have one they say is for the "TRG". You might contact them and ask them if it fits your model. I have two of them, one for a 10/22 and one for a CZ 457; they are top quality.

EGW rail for TRG

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
EGW makes Picatinny rail adapters for a number of rifles. I see they have one they say is for the "TRG". You might contact them and ask them if it fits your model. I have two of them, one for a 10/22 and one for a CZ 457; they are top quality.

EGW rail for TRG

Thanks for that link. Smile I did get the rail back from my machinist friend. It fits perfectly now; tight with no slop. While it was off I drilled and tapped for a mirage band stud. You can see it mounted and cold blued at the front of the rail. Also, ignore my messy work shop. lol

The scope and mirage band mounted.

All done.

Big Grin Super happy with how things turned out.