SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My first adult LEGO kit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first adult LEGO kit Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I had to sell my RRA rifle for a mortgage payment back in 2008 or 2009 and haven’t had one since. So I ordered a Palmetto blem kit and lower. Should be here in a couple days.

It’ll be my first build so I’m just going to use the stock parts, no upgrades. I’ll be bothering you all for tips, I’m sure.

When I launch a detent into the ether, do I post my expletives here or in What’s Your Deal?

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large plastic bag!

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 83 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
The AR that I was given by a friend for helping him with a house project came that way, a nice thing that PSA does is to use separate zip lock bags for parts for the trigger group, bolt release, etc. I used very basic hand tools when I assembled mine. There are any number of internet sites detailing how to put one together, I used the one that Pew pew Tactical did, if I remember correctly.

Posts: 12182 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I launch a detent into the ether, do I post my expletives here or in What’s Your Deal?

That is why PSA includes extras - ask me how I know.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pootie:
Large plastic bag!

This. Installing the front detent with the lower and your hands inserted inside of a large clear plastic bag, like a 1 or 2 gallon Ziploc, can help prevent the need to swear (as much) or post in the WYD section when the detent goes sproing.

I also like to use a 3/16 Allen Wrench to aid the installation process, as shown and described here:
(The vice is optional, but does make it easier.)

https://www.itstactical.com/wa...ot-pin-installation/

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Using a 1/4 inch clevis pin makes the front detent way easier.

Posts: 9975 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is how I do it. Easy Peasy.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I had to sell my RRA rifle for a mortgage payment back in 2008 or 2009 and haven’t had one since. So I ordered a Palmetto blem kit and lower. Should be here in a couple days.

It’ll be my first build so I’m just going to use the stock parts, no upgrades. I’ll be bothering you all for tips, I’m sure.

order a few extra detents for the pins that hold the upper and lower together. They are really easy to launch into nothingness.

ETA, i see some other guys have already addressed this issue!

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7sZwieYAa0Y" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That's a simple and smart way to do it.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Do the detent while the lower is in a gallon ziplock. You can thank me later

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After launching a few pins, I agree with the bag comments. The hardest part for me is setting the bolt carrier pin without having a vice and a block. I would grind/file the one side/edge of the pin on the concrete or metal file, to make it easier to go in initially.

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The upper and parts came in yesterday. The lower is to be delivered to my LGS today. Unfortunately, LGS is closed on Wednesday. Bah!!

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
The upper and parts came in yesterday. The lower is to be delivered to my LGS today. Unfortunately, LGS is closed on Wednesday. Bah!!

Oh, man! That's the sort of luck I typically have. Gives you some more time to look over lower assembly guides on the internet, I suppose.

Posts: 12182 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have found that clamping a small, strong magnet (like found in a crashed hard disk drive) adjacent to the detent recess tends to keep the steel pins from going quite so far. This magnet, when attached to a string, and swung across the floor can also find small steel objects that the eye cannot discern. Unfortunately, these magnets have shrunk in size as the drives themselves have grown in capacity so an older drive would be the sacrificial lamb of choice.

The drive platters are also handy for calling in an air strike, if your signal mirror has been shattered by a stray .308 round.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
After launching a few pins, I agree with the bag comments. The hardest part for me is setting the bolt carrier pin without having a vice and a block. I would grind/file the one side/edge of the pin on the concrete or metal file, to make it easier to go in initially.

I've never had an issue with the detent pins. I like the razor blade method...just hold the detent in place with a thin piece of metal (like a razor blade) and then slide the pin in place. Works like a charm. What I've always hated is dealing with the bolt catch pin. Then I was shown this in an armorer's class. It will change your life!

https://www.brownells.com/tool...olt-catch-pin-punch/

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Another very common problem is that AR-15s multiply.

When you get a combo wrench and a vise block, the fecundity rises an order of magnitude.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I already had a pile of clevis pins so I just used a 1/4" one.
I have regular roll pin punches but the Wheeler set is much better, comes with a starter and driver punch.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017289666

This is pretty much all I used on my first PSA kit.

I still use the large pliers for pressing in the trigger guard pin, I use a hammer and punch to finish seating it when it's almost flush.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

The what??

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second that question. And add what kind of neanderthals can't just use a clevis pin (or really anything 1/4" with a hole (I make mine)) and still use plastic bags or magnets or whatever!. seriously.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post