SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 590 issue and report on 500 and 590
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 590 issue and report on 500 and 590 Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Took both the 500 and 590 to the range. The 500 I bought was lightly used and a 18.5" barrel pistol grip. I shot six rounds of #8 1-1/8" 2-3/4" bird shot. Shot great. Feed great. Shot held high and from the hip. From the hip was more to my liking. I shot 4 rds of 9 pellet 00buck. First shot was held high. Upon firing it recoiled back and my thumb touched my nose. Eek A couple shots from the hip. At 10 yds on target. So overall a positive experience. I like it.

On to the 590. six shots of the same bird shot. Easy peasy. Went to shot a round or two of the buck shot. Something is wrong. It will not feed one round. Put in the tube. Go to chamber and it would not load. Just eject it? When I put in the mag tube. When I go the chamber it won't pull it from the mag tube? I have had this taken down a couple of times. Maybe i do not have it assemble correctly. But everything prior to this worked as it should. It is a bit weird to reassemble. Not really intuitive. Any thoughts. Thanks guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What brand of ammo is it?

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Have you somehow mixed in some longer ammo than the gun is chambers for? Ie 3” rounds in a 2 3/4” gun. It will fit in the mag tube but won’t run up the elevator.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The bird shot was a green box Remington 2-3/4

The 00buck is 2-3/4 Tactical 2021 Trust Protection

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
so I took back down the 590 after watching the Brownell's reassemble video a few times. Everything seems to be as it should.
After putting in back together same thing. Switched the ammo and seemed to go away for the most part. But I do not think it is ammo related. Is there something about putting a single round in the mag tube and then jacking it into the chamber. Somekind of a design issue. Like you need to drop in the chamber instead of feeding a single round from the tube. My 500 has not had any issue doing that? On the last trial everything seemed to work fine

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had any such issue with my 590A1. Could you possibly need a new mag tube spring? Maybe with only one round in the tube the spring isn’t pushing hard enough to feed it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
That is possible. It is a new 590 security. When I unscrew the cap the spring looks small and a little cocked off to the side. It rests up against a flat looking washer with a small hole in it. Not sure how that washer comes out?
That part of the construction of the 590 seems a lot less robust than my 500? Feels cheaper than the 500 construction???

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
It’s actually more of a split cup than a washer. You can carefully pry it out with a flat blade screwdriver. I got the 590A1 because it was more robust than a normal 590. It has metal parts instead of plastic and a few other things.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I did receive and install the Magpul stock on my 590. I will say it looks better in person and is easy to install and adj. the spacers for your lop. Overall I like it. Have not shot since installing yet. A nice and affordable upgrade.

I do think the issue I discussed earlier is related to the mag tube spring and retainer.. I do not like the way it is set up on the new 590. The 500 is a much better set up. I am hoping there is some kind of an upgrade.

Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
quote:
2-3/4 Tactical 2021 Trust Protection

My guess is that it is this ammo. Probably out of spec. I have noticed a lot of these "Never Heard Of Them Before" companies popping up since the ammo "crisis" started. Who knows where it is made and what their QC is like.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 142 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess is that it is this ammo. Probably out of spec. I have noticed a lot of these "Never Heard Of The

That could be. I see it is made in Spain. I do not know about their reputation as a manufacturer. Any thoughts?

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I took the 590 back out with the new Magpul stock on it (Thanks Augen). Fired a box of 1-1/8 #8 bird shot. I am really liking this. It is a blast to shoot. The trigger is not what I would call great. Maybe it will improve with usage.

posted Hide Post
I have a 590. I replaced the safety button with one that was more aggressive ( finger contact surface), replaced the stamped magazine follower with a machined follower. Replaced the OEM front sight bead with a night sight bead and mounted a external shell saddle (Holds 6 shells) to the receiver.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Can you provide the machined follower you went to. Thanks

posted Hide Post
I use the GG&G follower in my 500's and 590's, and the Vang Comp neon green in my 870's.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I used the Phase 5 in dragon green in my mossberg

https://www.brownells.com/shot...wers-prod126757.aspx

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post