SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PDW Anyone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PDW Anyone Login/Join 
posted
So I decided to put together something I could fit into a small backpack and still have adequate power and maneuverability in small spaces. I settled on this 7.5” Aero Precision upper on my RRA SBR lower and I have to say, it did not disappoint. I ran close to 100 rounds through it without any issues period. Most of those were my hand loaded 55gr Hornady SP loads. All shooting was done with the 1x Primary Arms micro prism, but I have a 3x micro prism with an off set red dot that I may try. Accuracy was quite good for the short barrel and the 55gr SP should be more than adequate within the 50-100yds it is intended for.

I know someone will post the 7.5” is just a range toy, but with careful ammo selection it is more than adequate. Yes it is loud and 300 blackout can be had in the same set-up but I can shoot this gun much more cheaper and find ammo anywhere for it. As long as you know it’s limitations, you should feel pretty well armed in a urban setting should you have multiple attackers. Next time out, I will try it with my YHM 5.56QD suppressor. That thing is all steel and built like a M1 Abrams tank.

Holes in blue are sight in rounds. The last few were perfectly centered st 50yds.

Head shots at 50yds

25yds

100yds

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good looking set up. If you need a smaller size gun,by all means do what is good for you. Too many times people complain about what you are doing to your own stuff. If you have a reliable set up, that's all that matters.

I would say you are more than capable with that set up for most situations. Unless we are going to war, it should serve you as you want/need it to. Nice groups too.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice…my 7.5” SBR sits in the front of my safe. It has the Tac Evo upper with adjustable gas valve…shockingly quiet with a Griffen Paladin mounted. It gets hot to the touch in less than a 30rd mag though!!

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My CZ Bren 2Ms is just a hair longer than yours and although I do kind of think of it as a range toy, I also know that it can be deadly inside of 100 yards.
No, the round won't be moving as fast as out of a carbine but it'll do damage.
Mine's loud as Hell also. I usually wear double hearing protection when I shoot it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yours is a nice setup. I kicked around doing something similar or getting a Banshee. But I went cheap and got the Ruger PC Carbine. No complaints and Glock mag compatible too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't stand 10.5" even suppressed with doubled up hearing protection indoors, I can't imagine 7.5.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I can't stand 10.5" even suppressed with doubled up hearing protection indoors, I can't imagine 7.5.

She is loud, but this is a truck gun. I have a suppressed 9mm or 300blk for the home. Big Grin

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7.5" bbl and the "range toy" comment:

It's on a PDW.
This weapon is designed for it's compactness. This is designed for "close up" stuff. You're NOT going to be engaging stuff in the 200Yd + range.
150 - 100 yds and under and you're all good Wink

I like the RDS. I'd just look for something thinner in the stock, possibly a folding stock. Toss a hand-stop on the rail and that would be my perfect PDW.

Loud?
I've got an 11.5 in 5.56 with a Griffin Arms Blast Diverter and it's OBNOXIOUSLY loud!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I like , kudos to you. I have a similar setup but I chose 300Blk. It lives with a Dead Air Sandman K on it. It’s enough to keep your ears from bleeding, Big Grin. Still loud but it takes the edge off.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
7.5" bbl and the "range toy" comment:

It's on a PDW.
This weapon is designed for it's compactness. This is designed for "close up" stuff. You're NOT going to be engaging stuff in the 200Yd + range.
150 - 100 yds and under and you're all good Wink

I like the RDS. I'd just look for something thinner in the stock, possibly a folding stock. Toss a hand-stop on the rail and that would be my perfect PDW.

Loud?
I've got an 11.5 in 5.56 with a Griffin Arms Blast Diverter and it's OBNOXIOUSLY loud!

Same here. I've got a 10.5" with a griffin taper mount brake. If i shoot it indoors it has the whole range come wondering over to see what the noise is all about.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
She is loud, but this is a truck gun.

suppressed the data I see says its like 140+DBA so unsuppressed I'm guessing 170 DBA so its killing your hearing without decent protection. Who has time to put on double hearing protection in any urban emergency. I'd trade suppressing it or a longer barrel for my hearing every time. But that's just me. No doubt within its range its capable.

Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about building a backpack gun as well but really don't want to bother with a tax stamp due to the time requirement. I've been thinking about a folding AR that folds at the barrel and found one manufacturer that actually makes one.

Does anyone know anything about these?

https://www.foldar.com/

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks interesting, I've never heard of it before. So obviously no experience. But I have been using the Cry Havoc system for some time and its pretty reliable. The current lead time on a tax stamp for a EformF1 is less than 60 days so its not that much of a wait.