SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best magnifier to go behind an Aimpoint PRO.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best magnifier to go behind an Aimpoint PRO. Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
looking for a 3X magnifier to mount on an AR 15, 14.5" (16" total) rifle.

Would like it to be compatible with the MBUIS sights as well on a co witness if possible.

Suggestions? Why?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As for magnifier brand, Aimpoint and Eotech are high quality, or you can go with a Vortex or Primary Arms if you're wanting something cheaper but still functional. (Pretty much just like with optics themselves.)

quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Would like it to be compatible with the MBUIS sights as well on a co witness if possible.

You won't be able to utilize BUIS through a magnifier, and there typically won't be sufficient room to stack an optic+magnifier+BUIS all in line on top of a receiver anyway. As it is, you may need to invest in a cantilever mount to get your PRO far enough forward to mount a magnifier.

The rear BUIS is typically mounted under the back of the magnifier, and you invest in a twist-/flip-to-side mount for the magnifier to be able to get the magnifier out of the way in order to utilize the BUIS or the unmagnified optic alone.

For example, this particular rifle has an Aimpoint PRO red dot in a Larue cantilever mount plus a Primary Arms 3x magnifier in a Larue flip-to-side mount, with stowed Magpul BUIS that I can use when the magnifier is flipped out of the way.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I HIGHLY recommend you buy a Magnifier with diopter adjustment ESPECIALLY if you are an older shooter. If you are 21 years old with 20/20 vision you might get by without it. If you are not don't waste money on a magnifier without diopter correction. I learned the hard way........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint, EOTech, Primary Arms, Vortex, or Holosun are all fine. None of them are going to really wow you on glass quality, but they should all do what they are intended to.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Maybe it’s just me, but I always try to stay with the same company as the optic. I have Eotech and Trijicon magnifiers and they’ve been fine.

If it were me I’d go with this combo deal.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post