SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Put some new life into an old girl…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Put some new life into an old girl… Login/Join 
posted
I still have a thing for my Sig 556 rifles. The only one that didn’t get much action was my 556 SWAT with the full length quad rail. It was dressed up DMR style and wore a 4-12 Nikon scope and a bipod, and was 11+ lbs empty. With the help of fellow forum members I was able to procure the parts to turn it into the much more comfortable Classic forend. Topped it off with a modern Sig LVPO and we’ll see if she ends up in the rotation now!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice collection and addition. I always liked these rifles. I had one years ago and sold it for who knows what. Another gun I regret selling.

Posts: 6838 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Never liked the full length quad rail myself. Got yourself a nice family party there.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These can be very nice shooting guns. I have a few of them, in various conditions of Swiss cloneing. I have lost touch with them over the last year or so, due to their not being especially practical, when compared to the AR, and me not wanting to expend ammo on "fun guns" or "range toys".

Posts: 2075 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I prefer my SiG’s in most every way over my AR’s except for when it comes to weight, although most of my SiG’s are Swiss.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I prefer my SiG’s in most every way over my AR’s

I was that way for a few years, but I eventually came crawling back to the ol' AR.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Nice collection.
I never much liked those heavy quad rails either. Looks good.
I still enjoy shooting mine.

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a 551a1 and love it. Great shooter and plenty accurate for one of the earlier guns.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I prefer my SiG’s in most every way over my AR’s

I was that way for a few years, but I eventually came crawling back to the ol' AR.

Crawling back you say? I started shooting AR’s long before my first SiG and never got rid of the AR’s … so I didn’t have to crawl back!
I still enjoy them both Smile
If I ever have to pick one, like a bug-out situation I’d grab my SiG, probably the P553SBR.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
My P556 is still going strong. Not that I shoot it much anymore but it's a stud. I think Sig got it right with this one. 553 op system with a 10 inch barrel instead of the 8 inch, takes AR mags. The barrel is a PIG though. Someday I might get a couple lbs shaved off it. I guess Exeter assumed it would double as a light machine gun. Big Grin

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me having to shoot AR's left handled makes it easy to love a 55x Sig rifle/SCAR/Bren/etc that I can shoot right handed.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I ever have to pick one, like a bug-out situation I’d grab my SiG, probably the P553SBR.

I spent a good bit of time and money trying to make my 553 "suitable"(IMO) for a go-to carbine. I never was happy with it. The biggest cons are weight, bulk, and volume. It's inherently bigger and heavier, and both those aspects are exacerbated when you start bolting stuff on. The piston system, combined with the short barrel, make for a noise level that I don't consider comfortable without ear protection. A 10"AR can be overall shorter, lighter, and quieter, all while having an extra inch of barrel. The 553 is damn cool gun, as are the other 55X weapons, but the AR just has them beat, IMO.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Sig got it right with this one. 553 op system with a 10 inch barrel instead of the 8 inch

I agree, that the P556 is a good configuration. The fluted piston rod and braided spring can be a failure point after enough hard use, so a solid rod with flat spring is advisable; some came with them.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
No shit? I haven't had a problem so far and there's been 10K down it easy. I spent the first 2-3K beating on it to "prove" to my own dumb ass it works.

Mine has the fluted piston rod I think. Makes like a cross it you look straight at it. Pain in the ass to clean. Thanks for the heads up I'll see about picking up a solid one with flat spring.

posted Hide Post
I had bought a used Patrol model (same gas system with a 16" barrel), and not long into my ownership, the rod was bent and the spring was broken in at least two places. Like I said, the gun was used; so maybe the prior owner beat the hell out of it. I am sure it's more of a abuse thing, than a round count thing. You could likely shoot a fluted/braided setup forever, so long as you didn't run it in an abusive way.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Would you believe I have two NIB? An original "fish gill" w/o a canted rail and a Classic. I just hate that SIG doesn't support them so they sit. The 556 fiasco really soured me on SIG Sauer in general as well.

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Would you believe I have two NIB? An original "fish gill" w/o a canted rail and a Classic. I just hate that SIG doesn't support them so they sit. The 556 fiasco really soured me on SIG Sauer in general as well.

How about that! Yea I hear you there. I don't think I've bought a new SIG firearm since.

IDPA ESP SS

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

I haven’t either. Plenty of Walthers & HKs but not a SIG in years. I keep on thinking I might, just might, buy a P365 and then I think of the SIG 556 fiasco and move on.

Posts: 12429 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^^^

I haven’t either. Plenty of Walthers & HKs but not a SIG in years. I keep on thinking I might, just might, buy a P365 and then I think of the SIG 556 fiasco and move on.

One thing about the whole 55X line, including the 556, when was the last time you heard of anyone NEEDING parts for it?
I'm not happy about it either, but I'm more concerned about my SSG3000 made for the US market that they dropped something like 6 months after introducing it, but it hasn't stopped me from shooting it.
If SiG introduces something I want, I buy it, its not like they're a fly-by-night company.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
2 fishgills and a classic huh? I wouldn't be down on myself for having 3 of those. They work in my experience. The design is solid. If the QC was met and they work, you could do a lot worse.

Plus, won't be making those ever again. That could maybe benefit you in a lot of different ways.