SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Your thoughts and experiences on the Sig M400?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your thoughts and experiences on the Sig M400? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys! I called and had them hold it for me, and went back the next day and put it on layaway. I don’t need another AR really, but had been halfheartedly looking for a cheapish rifle that I could use for a beater, or one that didn’t necessarily have to stay in the safe all the time. I was thinking a used M&P, but I like this much better. I bought a Daniel Defense rear sight for it already, and will add a light and a sling. I told myself I wasn’t going to put a red dot on it, just keep it simple, but I’ve found myself looking at options, lol.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Small Arms Solutions" video that Para provided was really informative. That narrator always does an outstanding job without all the hocus pocus bullshit drama like so many on youtube. If I were limited to choosing 5 firearms-related youtubers, he'd be one of them.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the "Enhanced" version from 5 or so years ago. I've upgraded the Sig holo red dot to a Burris AR 332 3x Prismatic for better utility out to 300 yards.

This is an excellent rifle. Very smooth operation, accurate even with 55 grain reloads, and nice built in features, such as single point sling sockets on the receiver, ambi selector, and grip grooves on the front of the magwell.

In addition, it has a tension screw that is adjustable to ensure tight, no rattle upper to lower fit.

I love mine, and while I have put an ALG ACT trigger in it, the stock trigger was better than that in a Colt 6920.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Just an update…

I took the rifle out and ran 100 flawless rounds through it. The trigger was actually nice, way better than I was expecting. Overall the rifle was smooth, and shot well. I don’t have an optic on it, and may leave it iron sights only. Very happy with the purchase, and I appreciate everyones input!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Just spent a week in a rifle class last week with my M400, and was reminded of this thread and figured I'd report back as you guys might be interested.

I used my work rifle, which is a 16" M400 with a free-float m-lock handguard and a Romeo 5 mounted. I ditched the Sig-supplied 3-point sling for a Blue Force Gear Vicker's 2-point sling that I bought myself.

We worked the crap out of ourselves and the rifles...were outside in freezing weather, pouring rain, hail, mud, wind gusting to 50mph one of the days...you name it. At one point, I popped my upper off and it looked like an engine with a blown head gasket in there...all milkshaked from the water mixing with oil. We shot on a square range, did dynamic stuff off of barricades, inside of cars, outside of cars, prone, standing, kneeling, off-hand, compressed firing positions with no shoulder mount...you name it.

Rifle reliability: I did not have a single malfunction the entire week with my rifle that was not intentionally induced. This was not the case for the entire class...most of the guns had at least one or two issues, and we had guys from one agency who were having trouble getting through a full mag by the end of the week, even though I saw them breaking down and cleaning daily. I was shooting some crummy Bosnian ammo that has an out-of-spec primer flash-hole (I tried reloading some and my decapping pin wouldn't fit through the hole)...still didn't have any problems.

Rifle Handling : The one complaint I have is that for whatever reason, this rifle does not like to seat a loaded mag under a closed bolt. Even partially loaded mags. They will seat, but you have to smack them really good. These same mags slide right in and lock in my personal rifle under the same conditions. Not huge deal if you have time, but it was a pain under time pressure with malfunction clearing drills, and I found that I had to adapt my technique to lock the bolt open to ensure that the mags seated properly.

The ambi-safety was actually useful for firing off-hand. The extended bolt catch lever next to the ambi mag-release is too busy for purely tactile operation, especially for someone who is used to the standard mil-spec setup. I wish those weren't on there. Wrong handed people should buy dedicated wrong-handed rifles...leave my guns alone.

Accuracy: This wasn't a benchrest class...the closest thing we did to square range stuff was a qual out to 50 yards. I don't know if my group was the tightest in the class, but if not it was close. Zero complaints in the accuracy department.

Optic: I must admit that I've always been a little skeptical of the Romeo line of optics. I kind of view them as Sig slapping their name on cheap Chinese junk and reselling it at a huge markup. I zeroed my rifle before the class, and as part of the course they messed up our zeros and we had to demonstrate that we knew how to re-zero. I'll admit that I cheated and had witness marks on mine (which is something I always do with optics), but I played along and re-worked my zero...it ended up right back where I'd had it originally. So at least the thing is repeatable. It handled the soaking in the rain just fine, and then working some malfunction drills I got a brass-over-bolt that got jammed really badly...I mortared the heck out of the rifle on concrete...by the time I was done I figured there was no way that Chinese POS optic on its cheap mount would still be holding zero, but I was wrong. It's still dead on.

Another guy had a Romeo4 that kept shutting off on him and he ultimately had to swap it out, so maybe I got just lucky and got a good one, but I can't complain about my Romeo5.

Sling: The Vickers sling was top notch. The adjustability allowed me to easily secure it tightly to my chest while we were standing around or moving between drills, and keep it tight to use as a hasty-sling for standing and kneeling during the quals. It was also capable of being quickly loosened for dynamic close-range drills, even enough to transition shoulders once I got it set correctly.

All said, it was a great class, I learned a lot and it built a lot of confidence in my gear. Sig makes a solid rifle.

ETA: One other quick note about the white light: I have a Streamlight Pro-Tac Railmount on the front right side of the handguard, with a pressure switch on the top behind the front sight. Although it's a bit large, this setup worked well for me in most of our low-light scenarios, but there was one issue with the light: The tailcap likes to vibrate loose under recoil. It only takes about a quarter turn and then there's not enough contact for electrical continuity and the light won't turn on until you tighten it back down. This happened a couple of times until I got fed up and put some blue loctite on the threads. There's not a lot of grip surface there, and I may need pliers to get it off next time I need to change the batteries, but at least it won't work loose on its own. Just something to check for those who own these.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for a useful review.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post