SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1D questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1D questions Login/Join 
posted
I have a chance to purchase what appears to be an M1D. Springfield reciever, Lyman Alaskan 2.5x scope 4 prong flash hider and leather check piece. seen paper work for it from CMP. The family friend believes she has cmp paperwork.

Anything I need to look for on the barrel or proof marks?

Values are all over the map as well. What would I even offer, her late husband paid 2200.00

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Posts: 1741 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
depends, price wise, on which D is it,

CMP did lottery draws for D's in the 90's,
sold some after that,
and sold Scopeless D's in the stores,

I was in the South Store about 7 yrs ago and they had a rack of scopeless D's that the CMP had made, they found a box full of NOS barrels in storage, and put them on receivers, (I wanna say they were $999 then, but cannot recall with certainity

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost all real USGI M1D barrels have a drawing number ending in "555". A very small number have been verified to have had the standard barrel drawing number.

A real M1D barrel should not be cut with the grooves for the standard Garand handguard clip.

Repro M1D barrels, barrel blocks, scope mounts, scopes, cheek pieces and flash suppressors have been made for ages and are still being made today.

As Lyman said, the CMP sold M1D's a number of different ways.

When was the rifle in question sold? What does the paperwork call it/what is the item number used to describe it?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serial number 4233165 Springfield
Cmp certificate of authenticity for a garand M1D.
Sold in October of 2014

posted Hide Post
What are the grooves you are talking about?
What is a drawing number?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
Serial number 4233165 Springfield
Cmp certificate of authenticity for a garand M1D.
Sold in October of 2014

Do you have access to the shipping document that would have the CMP item number on it?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
What are the grooves you are talking about?
What is a drawing number?

A standard Garand barrel has two grooves running back to front in the area of the chamber on the outside of the barrel. These grooves are used to retain the lower/rear handguard on all models of the Garand other than the M1D. If an M1D has these grooves visible, the barrel is a standard barrel that has been converted to M1D configuration by turning down the rear of the barrel and adding a barrel block.

As for your drawing number question, most of the major parts of the Garand have a drawing number stamped into them, barrel included. The drawing number for the barrel is either on the top under the handguard or on the right side and would be visible with the operating rod handle pulled to the rear.

posted Hide Post
Food for thought on M1D accessories:

GI MRT cheekpad $400+ (a KLine will be more)
Repro cheekpad $20

T37 flash hider $250+
Repro $35

GI M1D scope mount $5-700
Repro $60

Values on Lyman Alaskan scopes are all over the place. Much depends on the serial number as some were GI contract but most were not.

posted Hide Post
Did a little homework on the CMP forum for you.

It looks like these were the available M1D options for sale in 2014:

RM1DS Service Grade M1D's Were $1535 - Did not come with accessories

RM1DF Field Grade M1D's Were $1235 - Did not come with accessories

RM1DR Rack Grade M1D's Were $935 - Did not come with accessories

Special Grades were $2000 - M1D Garand Service Grade Springfield. Reparked SA receiver with new 1952-1953 dated M1D barrel. Reparked parts. New Walnut stock/handguards. Reproduction HI-LUX optics M82 scope and reproduction M82 mount.

I could not find the item number for the special grades, but based on what you think the former owner paid, perhaps that is what you are looking at?

posted Hide Post
$2k + 10% AL sales tax probably explains the price the original owner paid if he picked it up from the South store

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
$2k + 10% AL sales tax probably explains the price the original owner paid if he picked it up from the South store

when I was there, they (CMP South) actually insisted I have them ship it, the shipping was cheaper than pickup with sales tax

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post