SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My old ACOG controls are hard to turn. Advice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My old ACOG controls are hard to turn. Advice? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Now that I have the peep sight on my 10/22 Takedown, I'm thinking these old eyes may need a little bit of magnification.
I have an old ACOG (tritium dead); it's a TA31F. Glass is nice and clear, red chevron is snappy.

But the windage/elevation adjustment knobs are hard to turn. Normal?
Any advice, other than keep turning until they loosen up? Knock on them?

Posts: 18008 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is an incredible optics upgrade on your 10/22 :-) Hope you're successful finding an easy fix. Those are very nice scopes. I have two and they're on larger rifles.

raymond-
47º34n 122º18w

Posts: 89 | Location: seattle, wa | Registered: April 10, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Send it to Trijicon and see if they can loosen up the knobs. They might revive the tritium too.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5367 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Trijicon says turnaround is 6-8 weeks, so that option is out for now.
I may be able to sight it in with the controls as they are.
The Appleseed shooting all takes place at 25 yards.

Yes, the ACOG is quite an upgrade, but it was sitting in my safe, and I thought, hey, up to 4X is fine with Appleseed, so what the hey? Big Grin

Posts: 18008 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The Appleseed shooting all takes place at 25 yards.

Yes, the ACOG is quite an upgrade, but it was sitting in my safe, and I thought, hey, up to 4X is fine with Appleseed, so what the hey? Big Grin

I used a simple 2-7x Bushnell on my 10/22 when I last attended Appleseed...mostly because it was sitting on the shelf.

I remember having to dial in a lot of adjustment the first day to get properly zeroed for 25 yards in prone...it had previously been zeroed off the bench.

I also had to add quite a bit of padding to the buttstock to raise the comb

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hi Tang,
I plan to sight it in at 25 yards before the event.
I switched the stock to a Magpul Hunter X-22 and have high cheek pieces to add to get a good stock weld.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Tang,
I plan to sight it in at 25 yards before the event.

Hey Stan,

I thought I was sighted in correctly also...I'd sight it in off of sandbags off a bench at SacValley

The day of class, first thing we all did was check zero from the prone position at 25 yards. It was a bit disheartening to have to wind in 16 clicks

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Field fix for stuck adjustments on ACOGs is to give it a good whack according to a Marine friend who used and saw some old, well-seasoned scopes during his career.

Might help, probably not going to hurt an ACOG with anything short of a sledge hammer.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
To be fair “a good whack” is pretty much standard operating procedure for the vast majority of Marine problems. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
There’s a long ar15.com thread cutting the Marine Corps training manual on the ACOG that says to give it a Will Smith to settle the prism after adjustment, otherwise first shot will be off.

BTW I guess it’s genuine. The verse is John 8:12.
Still stiff after a whack with a screwdriver handle, but at least they turn.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that I have the peep sight on my 10/22 Takedown, I'm thinking these old eyes may need a little bit of magnification.
I have an old ACOG (tritium dead); it's a TA31F. Glass is nice and clear, red chevron is snappy.

But the windage/elevation adjustment knobs are hard to turn. Normal?
Any advice, other than keep turning until they loosen up? Knock on them?

If you are having “old eye” issues the ACOG is not the optic for you as it lacks diopter (focus) adjustments.

ACOGs have a fixed diopter because 1) they are old (though reliable) tech and 2) they are made for use by 18-25 year old infantryman with young eyes /good vision.

Both the Army and Marines are moving on, going to the SIG Tango 1-6x scope and the Trijicon VCOG respectively. Both have diopter adjustments.

For your 10/22 I’ve had great results with the Primsry arms 1-6x .22 LR model scope.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post