SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .22LR rifle suggestions Needed?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22LR rifle suggestions Needed? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
10/22

Posts: 127 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
Hmmmm. Puzzled here. Shouldn't every American child's first gun be a 10-22?

Showing my age but a Chipmunk 22 was what I got for my boys back in the '80s. Big Grin

A single shot bolt action with a child sized LOP was a perfect first rifle to train/teach them with.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:I've been eyeing the CZ 457 Scout. But would like some suggestions to see if anything else hits the check boxes.

I think you're on the right path there. I have a 455 Scout that I love.

I've shot some, if not all of the the other bolt guns mentioned here. The CZ definitely feels more solid than some of the others. Everyone has their preferences, but for a .22 bolt gun CZ is hard to beat.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
We've got a Scout (452) that all of our kids have learned on. It's the most accurate.22 in the house. They are already discussing "who's" rifle it is. I like the American for cost, but the Scout is the one that you will want to pass down.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a CZ 455. I bought this NIB example last year with factory rings & a garbage Tasco scope. I put a Nikon rimfire scope on it, it's a tack driver. A rifle he can enjoy into adulthood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar position at this exact time last year. I have 2 boys, 14 months apart, 10 & 11. I wanted 2 rifles, and always wanted a lever gun. I settled on a CZ 457 Scout bolt and a Henry 22 Carbine (H001L). The carbine is slightly different than the youth model.

My boys enjoy shooting both.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifle...on-22-carbine-rifle/

Posts: 5727 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Another .22lr CZ-raised family here. 2 boys 1st gun. Nearly 20 yrs later…

Still have it to this day, and either my tiny wife (or her 84 yo mother) can use it easily. 4x Nikon on top. Fun and accurate. Love that little gun.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it has to be a bolt gun I will recommend CZ 457. Otherwise 10/22.
Both have lots of options and can grow with your kids as they grow older, you could start to trick the gun out.

NRA Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 394 | Registered: April 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCCarper:
If it has to be a bolt gun I will recommend CZ 457. Otherwise 10/22.
Both have lots of options and can grow with your kids as they grow older, you could start to trick the gun out.

Agreed; we have both … lol. Just started w/ a bolt for safety. 10/22 for mo’betta fun!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Consider the Ruger.

This is what I have my thermal night vision on.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Son is turning 9 and has asked to go to the range.

He's pretty proficient with the BB gun and understands the safety rules.

Criteria:
- Bolt gun capable of single shot or being mag / tube fed.
- Threaded for a suppressor out the box. (Kid has sensitive ears. Want him to enjoy shooting.)
- Appropriate length of pull. Scout stock or youth stock. (If I can change stocks later as he grows even better.)
- 22LR

I've been eyeing the CZ 457 Scout. But would like some suggestions to see if anything else hits the check boxes.

Tikka T1X .22 LR

Comes from the factory with threaded barrel. Magazine fed or you can single load the mag for training.

It's the rifle I bought my son when he turned 7. Went from a Cricket to the Tikka with NF SHV scope.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77-22. Bolt action, It's a tack driver. I could head
shots on squirrels at 40-50 yards.

Posts: 948 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have the 15-22 and its more fun than a barrel of monkeys. You'll burn through a LOT of ammo with one of these though. Get ready to foot the ammo bill.

For a kid starting off, I think I would appreciate something that slows things down. Like a lever gun or a bolt gun.

Posts: 6659 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Son is turning 9 and has asked to go to the range.

He's pretty proficient with the BB gun and understands the safety rules.

Criteria:
- Bolt gun capable of single shot or being mag / tube fed.
- Threaded for a suppressor out the box. (Kid has sensitive ears. Want him to enjoy shooting.)
- Appropriate length of pull. Scout stock or youth stock. (If I can change stocks later as he grows even better.)
- 22LR

I've been eyeing the CZ 457 Scout. But would like some suggestions to see if anything else hits the check boxes.

Tikka T1X .22 LR

Comes from the factory with threaded barrel. Magazine fed or you can single load the mag for training.

It's the rifle I bought my son when he turned 7. Went from a Cricket to the Tikka with NF SHV scope.

Iirc the T1X will go into the centerfire stock. You could cut the rimfire stock down to fit, then drop it into a grown up stock later. Later will happen much faster than you would believe. Best of luck with your young man.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1115 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Ruger American Compact Rimfire, Model number 8306. Threaded, short LOP that can be converted to a longer LOP as your son grows, plenty of accessories and cheap available magazines.

This. Great gun for the funds.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Chipmunk vote here. Started all my three kids on one and my oldest, who is 28 and very short for an adult, still uses it to hunt squirrels and groundhogs.
Added a red dot sight to it (elcheapo $30 variety) many years ago and it's still going.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
Hmmmm. Puzzled here. Shouldn't every American child's first gun be a 10-22?

Showing my age but a Chipmunk 22 was what I got for my boys back in the '80s. Big Grin

A single shot bolt action with a child sized LOP was a perfect first rifle to train/teach them with.

My first was a Marlin 15Y. The 10/22 came a couple of years later. Wink

Posts: 18 | Registered: October 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
If you would consider a lever gun...if he is a westerns fan or just for the fun factor, a Henry H001Y would be a great option. Tube fed/loading (maybe along with a side gate available now) LOP is around 13" I believe and the action is smooth and easy.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
If you would consider a lever gun...if he is a westerns fan or just for the fun factor, a Henry H001Y would be a great option. Tube fed/loading (maybe along with a side gate available now) LOP is around 13" I believe and the action is smooth and easy.

This gun can also be fit in a longer factory butt stock as he grows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sunburn,

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post