SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .22LR rifle suggestions Needed?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22LR rifle suggestions Needed? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Son is turning 9 and has asked to go to the range.

He's pretty proficient with the BB gun and understands the safety rules.

Criteria:
- Bolt gun capable of single shot or being mag / tube fed.
- Threaded for a suppressor out the box. (Kid has sensitive ears. Want him to enjoy shooting.)
- Appropriate length of pull. Scout stock or youth stock. (If I can change stocks later as he grows even better.)
- 22LR

I've been eyeing the CZ 457 Scout. But would like some suggestions to see if anything else hits the check boxes.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be a bolt gun?

I've had good luck training kids on a S&W M&P 15-22. The collapsible AR stock adjusts down small enough to fit younger kids, and lets the rifle grow with them into adulthood. And it's light enough for a kid to handle. You can simply single-load magazines while he's still a beginner.

It remains a viable rifle for them for their entire life, and sets them up to transition to a "real" AR at an appropriate time.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Does it have to be a bolt gun?

I've had good luck training kids on a S&W M&P 15-22. The collapsible AR stock adjusts down small enough to fit younger kids, and lets the rifle grow with them into adulthood. And it's light enough for a kid to handle. You can simply single-load magazines while he's still a beginner.

It remains a viable rifle for them for their entire life, and sets them up to transition to a "real" AR at an appropriate time.

Mmm.. quick google search. One person reported LOP on 15-22 @ 10.5". That would probably be short enough. As long as the muzzle device isn't pinned and comes off easily. It's gonna make it to the short list.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just recently purchased my first cz 22. It’s a 452 American and it is the best 22 I have owned so far. The 457 scout would be on the top of my list for sure. Being able to change out the stock when he outgrows the youth stock is nice too.

Posts: 226 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I would look at T/C Contender carbine. Single shot, accurate, Easy to change barrels to other calibers,very high quality.
Nice wood stock and blueing lets him learn about taking care of a firearm.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Savage model as well.

On a side note, do you have private property to shoot on? I only ask as when I took my son shooting for the first time at our local range, it wasn't the .22 that bothered him the most but the other guys with louder bigger guns. It ended our trip rather quickly but if you are able to shoot by yourselves somewhere private, I envy you. It sounds like a great time for you both.

Posts: 6871 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
How about the Ruger Precision Rimfire. Seems to check your boxes and has the adjustable stock so it will be able to continue be fitted to him as he grows.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger American Compact Rimfire, Model number 8306. Threaded, short LOP that can be converted to a longer LOP as your son grows, plenty of accessories and cheap available magazines.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Ruger American Compact Rimfire, Model number 8306. Threaded, short LOP that can be converted to a longer LOP as your son grows, plenty of accessories and cheap available magazines.

Another vote for the Ruger American Rimfire. I am partial to model 8334. Meets all of your requirements with the short LOP stock insert.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
nother vote for the Ruger American Rimfire. I am partial to model 8334. Meets all of your requirements with the short LOP stock insert.

Put a shorter buttstock on the 8334 or a longer one on the model 8306. I didn't even know that the 8334 was available again!

When I got two rimfire cans several years ago, the 8334 was the first "host" I purchased. My brother was so impressed (he's on my trust) I bought another one for him to use with the second can. We both love them! An untold number of squirrels, raccoons, pigeons, feral cats, starlings, and crows have fallen before them.

I wonder if I need a spare?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Savage MARK II FV-SR
https://www.savagearms.com/con...duct_summary&s=28702

Great gun.
I have one. Put a Boyd’s Stock on it, Nikon Rimfire Scope, and Bipod, it is a treat.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25407 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Savage MARK II FV-SR
https://www.savagearms.com/con...duct_summary&s=28702

Great gun.
I have one. Put a Boyd’s Stock on it, Nikon Rimfire Scope, and Bipod, it is a treat.

This, exactly as Black92LX recommends. Super popular as a PRS trainer (300y with a 40gr .22 is roughly the same ballistic solution as 1000y with a 169gr .308) AND with new shooters. I have three Volquartsen rifles and my daughter always wants to bust out the Mark II. Frown

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did this years ago myself. A Savage falling block single shot 22. Figured it would be great. It was. It also quickly became less fun than “dads” guns. A bolt gun would be better but realistically the MP 15-22 is a good rifle and fun to boot. I have always heard stories of OOB discharges but my 2 have never done that. They are light, accurate, inexpensive. I just saw the braced pistol version on the wall for 479. I was tempted for some reason. Lol.

If you go bolt I like your CZ idea.

Posts: 7444 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Bought a CZ 457 at my LGS last year and I love it!

It looks really nice and shoots well. I like it can shoot std 22 LR and sub sonic, which likely wont cycle in the 15-22

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:

It looks really nice and shoots well. I like it can shoot std 22 LR and sub sonic, which likely wont cycle in the 15-22

That's one of the reasons I was leaning toward the bolt gun a bit. I've got a couple boxes of subsonic around here. Plus with the can would be a real treat for him to learn on.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

The CZs are sweet but the overall cost is just not worth it for a kids learning Gun or for me for that matter.
I have less than $500 TOTAL in the Savage Gun itself, upgraded stock, scope, and bipod.
Then CZ mags are $45 a piece to Savages $15.

The difference in overall cost is ALOT of .22 ammo.
And I will never be able to outshoot my Savage.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25407 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
CZ 457......I like it can shoot std 22 LR and sub sonic, which likely wont cycle in the 15-22

That's one of the reasons I was leaning toward the bolt gun a bit. I've got a couple boxes of subsonic around here.

The 15-22 that I shot cycled subsonic ammo just fine. A properly designed and manufacturer rifle -- like an M&P 15-22 -- shoots subsonic ammo just fine.

There are crappy rimfire firearms which sometimes don't cycle well with subsonic ammo. Sig's POS Mosquito comes to mind. The myth that all semi-auto rimfires don't reliably cycle subsonic ammo needs to go away.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

The CZs are sweet but the overall cost is just not worth it for a kids learning Gun or for me for that matter.
I have less than $500 TOTAL in the Savage Gun itself, upgraded stock, scope, and bipod.
Then CZ mags are $45 a piece to Savages $15.

The difference in overall cost is ALOT of .22 ammo.
And I will never be able to outshoot my Savage.

I bought a CZ 457 American 22 last year as well and just picked up a 457 American in 22WMR last week. While they certainly aren't the cheapest they are beautifully made classic rifles that a kid can be proud to own down the road. I find both to be very accurate and really like the fully adjustable trigger. BTW, the spare magazines I just ordered, while not costing as low as $15, did not cost $45 each either, but $30 a piece. Not criticizing any other choice, but just providing my experience and opinion.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. Puzzled here. Shouldn't every American child's first gun be a 10-22?

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post