SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help with crossbow scope decision Vortex Crossfire II vs. Hawke XB1. Is reticle worth clarity?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with crossbow scope decision Vortex Crossfire II vs. Hawke XB1. Is reticle worth clarity? Login/Join 
posted
I am looking at a Vortex Crossfire II and a Hawke XB1 scope for my hunting crossbow.

From my research it looks like the Vortex has better glass/clarity, however I do not care for the reticle design.

I do not like the main crosshair is set for 40 yrds on the Vortex. I prefer the Hawke reticle which sets at 20 yrds. 20 yards is my primary shooting distance.

With both scopes pricing about the same, it the reticle design enough to give up some clarity.

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/xb1-15-5x32-sr.html

https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...-crossbow-scope.html

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with archery hunting (does that include crossbows?), but I do have experience with riflescopes. At such a short distance like 20 yards, or even significantly farther unless your target is very small and cryptic, I’d think the supposed lesser clarity of the Hawke would have to be like looking through the bottom of a Coke bottle to matter. I have some good scopes and although they offer some advantages over cheaper versions, being able to see targets through them versus not being able to see through them isn’t one.

If, however, it really does matter and you need the better clarity because you would be hunting small, difficult to see targets and perhaps in poor viewing conditions (e.g., in a dark forest), why couldn’t you use the 20 yard mark on the Vortex reticle?

Again, I may be missing something due to ignorance about your particular usage, so ignore my comments if I am.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve done a fair amount of crossbow hunting and at one time owned Excalibur Crossbow. Clarity and light transmission have always been my challenge with scopes. Prime time when bow hunting is almost always at low light - morning or evening. Personally I would go with better glass, larger tube and not worry about the reticle. You have a 20 yd tick on the Vortex, just not in the middle. AND - you can always choose to zero at 20 on the 40 mark and just remember your own holdovers. I find that most scope/reticles are not calibrated past 50 anyway and have to note my own holdovers. Just one opinion.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good to see a comment based on the actual voice of experience.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post