SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR sites. EOTECH EXPS2 Green Holographic Sight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR sites. EOTECH EXPS2 Green Holographic Sight Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
been looking at all the goodies out there for the Sig upper I was Karma'd. Thanks again Q.

Been look at EOTECH EXPS2 Green Holographic Sights. Never had one or anything similar. Research says they had heat induced issues a few years back. Is this still true? I'm liking the green holographic both eyes open set up. Thoughts ? Not planning on any serious longer range shooting.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've been using a EXPS2 (Green) on one of my SBR'd PCCs (an AR9 built for me by Battle Tested Equipment) for a couple of years now and had no issues with it. The vast majority of my shooting has been indoors.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have a red one and the only bad thing I can say is the battery life, 1000 hours vs 50,000 hours with aim point like red dots.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll have to check one over and see how the battery is installed.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Have you actually looked through one? Even with varying brightness levels, I found the green Eotechs to be too bright and distracting from the rest of the field of view. Red for me.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Have you actually looked through one? Even with varying brightness levels, I found the green Eotechs to be too bright and distracting from the rest of the field of view. Red for me.

Yes I looked through one briefly. I kinda like the green. I was more worried about quality issues...thx.

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
I have an EXPS 3-0 in red and have zero issues with it. Never liked the green in any illuminated optic.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Yes I looked through one briefly. I kinda like the green. I was more worried about quality issues...thx.

Did Eotech ever resolve their delamination issues from a few years back?

I haven't followed the topic closely because I don't have one personally, but I remember there being some fairly significant issues with Eotechs.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to look into the delamination issues. I have two Eotechs, and I like them a lot. I thought they had their shit straight, after the thermal shift thing.

***EDIT***Apparently the delam thing is only on older models as well. Anything bought new nowadays should be without the delam or thermal drift issues. Anything's possible though.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ditched my EOTECHs years ago after finding that they would eat through their batteries even when not in use. Would never buy another one. Also too large and bulky.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I have a red one and the only bad thing I can say is the battery life, 1000 hours vs 50,000 hours with aim point like red dots.

How is the battery life “bad”?

Mine is probably on 40-50 hours a week and I only change the battery a couple times a year when the reticle starts to flash.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

How is the battery life “bad”?

Mine is probably on 40-50 hours a week and I only change the battery a couple times a year when the reticle starts to flash.

I thought I was pretty clear but I’ll try again. When comparing to Aimpoints the battery life is terrible. 50,000 vs 1,000 I would say that’s bad.

David W.

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Which using it a lot translates to changing the battery every six months or so. I guess I fail to see the point why it’s “bad”. I guess the battery life difference makes people better at answering emails, gives them more time to post on the internet or whatever. Cause from a hard use perspective, changing the battery a couple times per year is easy.

Not to consider that most people talk about the battery life more than they use it. Is this really a thing?

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You lose me on this one jljones. Eotech says my optic will go 1000 hours. I leave it on. Now I'm not going to run to that limit so lets say I choose to use 60% of that to be safe. That's a battery a month. Batteries vary, temps where I live very, optics very. Not a big project to change a battery for sure, but across a decent inventory its more than a small amount of irritation. I like lots of things about the eotech sights especially the reticle but battery life is not one of them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11003 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Which using it a lot translates to changing the battery every six months or so. I guess I fail to see the point why it’s “bad”. I guess the battery life difference makes people better at answering emails, gives them more time to post on the internet or whatever. Cause from a hard use perspective, changing the battery a couple times per year is easy.

Not to consider that most people talk about the battery life more than they use it. Is this really a thing?

I guess at this point you just want to argue, if you can’t see the bad in less battery life that’s just silly, but whatever.

If you leave the Eotech on you got 41 days vs 2083 days with an Aimpoint. But, you already know those numbers I’m sure. Having less battery life is a negative no matter how you slice it unless you like spending money on more batteries.

David W.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess at this point you just want to argue, if you can’t see the bad in less battery life that’s just silly, but whatever.

I actually just like watching people try so hard around make points that really don’t matter. From a professional standpoint, running Aimpoint T1s, we change out the battery once per year. Same goes with RMRS. Changing the battery twice a year isn’t the deal breaker that you make it up to be. From having run a T1 for about 8 years, the 2000 day thing is only real if you keep the sight on four or less. Leaving it on a usable setting cuts it way down. Still better than the EoTech but not the propaganda piece you quote.

I swapped to the EoTech about 4 years ago. Give or take. We still have both on the team. As far as I am concerned, I let the guys run what they want. I swapped because the glass is clearer under NODS and I like the FOV better. Doesn’t make the EoTech better than the Aimpoint. Both have their charms.

The battery life doesn’t make the EoTech bad. If it did, units like Devgru and Delta wouldn’t be using them. Silly is trying to make the case that it is.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
If someone doesn't care for any of the Eotech's unique characteristics, then the battery life could certainly be considered a demerit.

I appreciate what the Eotech has to offer, and I am the type of person that isn't bothered by having to turn things on and off. If the battery life is 1000 hours, and I only ever have it on for anywhere between two and six hours at a time, it'll last me a long time.

Battery life doesn't factor into my consideration of different optics. But, I don't keep a carbine always "ready to go" either, so those seconds required to turn on the sight don't hinder me.

Dwill104 makes mention of a parasitic draw issue. This is something I haven't experienced. The quality of the batteries would be something I'd question, as well as the production date of the Eotechs themselves. I had an older N battery model, and it would eat (quality) batteries like no one's business. I have had no perceived parasitic issues with the EXPS3-0 CR123 models.

Posts: 2158 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I have had no perceived parasitic issues with the EXPS3-0 CR123 models.

They don’t. They also do not have the old battery box issues either.

I started my career with the Comp ML2 and moved to the T1. Ran the T1 until a few years ago. The battery life was never what it advertised. The 50k hours is on a low setting at 70 degrees. The battery life is still outstanding if it is the only thing you are concerned with.

The ironic thing is that for years you couldn’t give me an EoTech. The Aimpoint reliability was there, and I drank the kool aid on the whole battery life. It didn’t help matters that I couldn’t get through a class without an EoTech going down. With the EXPS, the reliability is there.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Saw an image today of a high-speed LE/MIL Swede.
He, ironically, had an Eotech; not an Aimpoint.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Saw an image today of a high-speed LE/MIL Swede.
He, ironically, had an Eotech; not an Aimpoint.

Guess he was too busy changing batteries and didn’t have time to read the internet to find out it’s a bad sight. What a poser!

www.opspectraining.com