SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking about buying a second AUG. Having trouble deciding between NATO and Waffle mag stock.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about buying a second AUG. Having trouble deciding between NATO and Waffle mag stock. Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
I currently have a waffle mag Aug M3 SA which is one of the Vltor made guns. I’m thinking about getting a second AUG because I really like the platform. I already have a bunch of 30 and 42 round mags. I also have a ton of AR mags. I’m right handed, so I’m not worried about not being able to swap to LH ejection. I trained myself to use the charging handle, so the loss of the bolt hold open doesn’t bother me. I keep going back and forth, to me the AUG just looks right with the waffle mags.

Does anyone have any feedback on the NATO stock?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Well, have an MSAR, which is an Aug clone, and it’s got the NATO stock. I’ve always liked it, feels good to shoulder it. Maybe just see if it makes a difference when you pick one up for see how it feels?

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me personally think the only 'authentic' ones use the original waffle mag and look the part. But it really depends on your mag situation. When I got mine there was simply no possibility that I could get enough actual Aug mags to make me happy (I suffer from a disease learned in 1994 in that regard) and thus I have the Nato ones. Not that I could compare but those run and works fine.
It's not like its a fatal one time decision, but personally I'd just keep running the original mags.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Waffle.They just look more like an AUG. You're already set up for it. Save your AR mags for the ARs.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Add some variety and versatility and get the NATO. I love mine.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17238 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I've a pre-owned AUG A3 SA that has been with me for a couple of years now. It came with 2 waffle mags but wanted more mags of course. Found that MagPul makes mags for the AUG and bought 20. Real good mags and reliable. I decided that I also wanted to convert to NATO mags so I bought a NATO trigger pack in prep for acquiring a NATO stock to put it in. But, alas....,no stocks are available now. Steyr is out of stock and so is PJA with no word of restock in the future. Looks like you can get complete NATO A3s at Steyr now but they won't support conversions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SFCUSARET,

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My AUG runs AUG mags, either original or the new Magpul one. I've amassed about 20 magazines for it over the last few months. Should last me awhile.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
There is only one correct answer: you know it’s a sin to no use waffle mags. Especially if you have two!!!

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post