SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Opinions on Daniel Defense DD5v1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Daniel Defense DD5v1 Login/Join 
Picture of ACClauhs
posted
Looking around for an FN SCAR 17 and they seem to unavailable for the LE price. Got me thinking to branch out for a good 308 semi-auto. Looked at a DD5V1 at two different shops and was pretty impressed. Regular price is $200 less than my LE price for the SCAR or a DD from the factory. Online reviews and YouTube seems pretty favorable. What say you guys?

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
While they start off somewhat tight initially, ( lube the bolt, BCG, charging handle, buffer and buffer spring well ) they're utterly solid and accurate rifles.

Nice thing is, they're not simply AR10 copies. Many design improvements were incorporated into the DD5s to make them much more reliable and run better than the numerous AR10 copies out on the market. They use SR25 pattern magazines so Magpul mags, ( which come with each rifle ) work well with these rifles.

Daniel Defense just recently introduced the DD5 in their Tornado Grey and Mil-Spec + colors, along with the V2 version that has an 18" barrel.

https://danieldefense.com

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are both great rifles, but other than price what's important to you? Example: cheap mags (get the DD), folds (get the SCAR), barrel options (get the scar), etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The other option for a lot less $$ is an AeroPrecision M5 build. The OEM version is often on sale for less than $1k from Brownells....add your own furniture and you're good to go.

I love SCAR's but having shot several which my friends own, I don't think I'd buy one at current prices. They seem artificially high due to the secondary manufacturing needed after importation.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
They are both great rifles, but other than price what's important to you? Example: cheap mags (get the DD), folds (get the SCAR), barrel options (get the scar), etc.

For me, I just wanted a SCAR to have one. Folding stock is cool but I'd never use it. Quick change barrels are cool, but unless SBR's are removed from NFA, I don't see myself ever buying another barrel.
I've only ever shot a DD 5.56 rifle, sold it from the shop I used to work at to a buddy from work, and I was really impressed by it. I can only imagine that the 308 version is just a larger more expensive version of what I liked. I do appreciate the cheaper magazines.
I'd like to mount a 1-4x optic in it and use it for 300-500m shooting, my only concern is reliability and accuracy for the amount of cash I'm dropping.

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If none of the SCAR pluses mean anything you will be totally happy with the DD. Its completely reliable. Acceptable accuracy is always a personal/ammo thing but its no different than the SCAR.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had one for almost a year and really love it. My first foray into the world of 308 AR's was with an Armalite AR10 TAC 18. Honestly for as much as people told me about Armalite AR10's and with the features on the TAC 18 I found it disappointing. Not so with the DD5v1. 308 AR's are different beasts than AR15'. Daniel Defense designed this gun up from the drawing board with their own engineering and in comparing it with the Armalite you can see the difference. When I shoot my 168 SMK match load through this rifle it groups 1 MOA no problem. I never could get that out of the Armalite. Funny story about the SCAR 17, I had considered buying one a year before I got the Armalite when I got a little ahead with some money. But after pondering it for a little while I spent the money on a long overdue wedding ring for my wife. I always joke about the SCAR 17 on her finger. About a year later when I considered buying the DD5V1 she said go ahead if you want it and I am glad I did.

Posts: 66 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already have an MWS but if I was getting a new battle rifle sort of thing Id probably go with a DD.

I Love my old DD m4v3.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love my DD5V1. It is accurate, well balanced, somewhat lightweight for an AR10 platform, and reliable. I even harvested a deer with it last fall.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Ive had my DD5V1 for a year and a half and it has been fatastic. From quality ammo to steel cased ammo, it has been a reiable rifle.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
If your really want a scar, just be patient and wait. I waited 13 months for mine to show up at LE prices.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
my only concern is reliability and accuracy for the amount of cash I'm dropping

If those are your concerns, buy it. You'll not be disappointed.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post

Ran out to my local shop and pulled the trigger. Got a great price too; rifle, tax, transfer, plus an extra mag came out to $1 over what I would have paid for the LE discount from the factory. And that's before I had it shipped and paid transfer once they built the next order of them. So now I just need to buy an optic and get to the range once it warms up.

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking weapon. Good luck and hope you have fun with it.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Clean it, lube it, shoot it and repeat.

Enjoy!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have a scar heavy and love it. I shot a dd5v1. It was ok but I had a couple of jams but in fairness, it was a prototype.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're near Philadelphia checkout atlantic tactical I saw a SCAR 17 there at LEO pricing.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACClauhs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
If you're near Philadelphia checkout atlantic tactical I saw a SCAR 17 there at LEO pricing.

I am and I did. Unfortunately, they told me that they did not have one currently, that they had 100 ordered and 82 reserved, and that I was welcome to become number 83. And they had them on order for the past year. If they had one on the shelf and lied to me over the phone, that would not be the first time they'd lied to me about in stock and available items. I use them as a last resort, both professionally and personally. I'd rather use LAPG for gear and source my firearms from local dealers that offer LE pricing.