Any feedback on this? Looks like Benelli is aiming for the 1301 market. They even have a table on their website saying how much better the M4 and M2-G1 is than “Competitor B”. Hmm, I wonder who that might be?
Having a couple of 1301, I’m not sure that I believe some of the things listed as Competitor B negative features are actually problems or that they are maintenance intensive. On the plus side, Benelli is giving us a 7 shot tube from the factory instead of neutered 5 shot guns, but they are still using the screw on +2 extension instead of a one piece tube. On the negative side, still more expensive than the 1301, although the difference isn’t as much as it used to be, and they seem to have copied Beretta using a plastic barrel clamp, which lots of people dislike. Will be interesting to see how the new Benelli actually compares to the 1301.
Not sure whey they called the M2 instead of M4-G1 or even M5. It’s nothing like the inertia operated M2, and much closer to the M4.
Posts: 4005 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007
Originally posted by RogueJSK: I'm not sure why Benelli would be taking shots at Beretta, considering Beretta owns Benelli...
I don't see it so much as taking shots at Beretta, but offering an alternative to the 1301 for Benelli brand loyalists. If you buy a 1301 or an M2-G1, Beretta wins either way, but Benelli probably didn't like not having something to compete with the 1301 eating into their market share.
______________________________________________ "If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”
Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
Originally posted by huskerlrrp: It looks awfully similar to the M4 system....or am I missing something?
It’s similar to the M4 ARGO system. The gas pistons are in the same place and are of a similar design, but the difference seems to be the M2-G1 doesn’t have the auto regulating gas system. The “new” RPO gas system is just a slightly simplified ARGO system from what I can tell.
Posts: 4005 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007