SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Joined the 45-70 movement
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined the 45-70 movement Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I picked up a Marlin GBL 45-70 last week! The first order of business was to mount a XS Rail with peep sights on it. I took it to the range Saturday and hit a 12 inch paper target circle at 100 yards. I had the larger of the two included rear peeps on it. I think I need to shift to the smaller rear peep. I'm defiantly going to put glass on it. I was expecting a whole lot more recoil. This thing is like a kitten drinking a bowl of warm milk! I love the grain of the laminate! I think Marlin QC has greatly improved! Add this to my recently aqquired CSBL that operated flawlessly so far!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
A 45-70 takes the worry out of being close.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I was expecting a whole lot more recoil. This thing is like a kitten drinking a bowl of warm milk!

I concur with both of mine (Marlin and Sharps), but then I tend to load them a bit soft.

I have shot 45-70s that damned near separated my shoulder though.

Hot loads ain't no fun. And, IMO, when you're throwing a 500gr hunk of lead out there, there's really no point in loading them that hot. You can load them pretty much as soft as you want and they'll still stop a truck...as long as you know where they're going to hit.

Nice looking rifle. Enjoy!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Looks great, cool round with a lot of history.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the shoulder mounted artillery Big Grin

Most factory loads are loaded at fairly benign levels so as not damage old guns not up to the challenge of the more robust limits your new Marlin is capable of handling. There is no need to hand load to full performance, but it’s nice to know that you could depend on it to take pretty much any game on the planet if needed.

Here is my modified 1895G- due to some issues from the factory that Remarlington wouldn't admit or address, I had it chopped and threaded to accept a permanently attached brake at an overall barrel length of 16.25". The finish is Gunkote matte black, and is topped by an XS Systems Leverrail that has a Leupold scout scope.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gearhounds,

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the “mild to wild” lever love!!!!!!! I love my “ All-weather” Henry in that wonderful caliber!! I love having glass on mine. Stretch out her legs! It’s really a GREAT round.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a JM Marlin SBL. Shooting HSM hard cast +P Bear Loads is quite the experience.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I shot my High Wall with a selection of loads, depending on the need. Since I don't hunt, it's for target use only.

One good plinking load is 27gr of 4895 under a 405gr flat-nose lead bullet. One good target load - out to 600 yards, is the same bullet over a lot more of the same powder. One you can shoot all day, the other I find that 20 with three sighters is enough, especially with that crescent butt and shooting prone or sat down shooting off sticks.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
basically a shoulder mounted mortar Big Grin

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for those florida moose Big Grin Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned both the standard and G model Marlins in 45-70. I found I much preferred the G, it is just so "handy". It's also a beast in the woods.

[/url]

I also had a cool No. 1 for a while. Cool

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Speaking of 45-70, I found this article several years ago where the hunter killed TWO cape buffalo with one shot from his Marlin.

post a picture

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A lever in 45-70 is something everyone should own.

There is little, you can't kill with the round.

Hornady makes some very aggressive readily available ammo, but even "basic" 45-70 is capable.

Is a lever action slow to load and cycle? Sure, in modern terms. But then, after your first shot, anything that can still run, will be reconsidering.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
45-70 really stupid story: I had a Ruger Number 3 in 45-70.
And like an idiot, I sold it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

MEtoo...Ruger No1.

and then later I sold my Marlin to someone here on the Forum...wish I hadn't done that. (cant remember who, but he's a lucky guy)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A levergun in .45-70, particularly in a handy carbine length, is one of those guns I don’t seem to have a practical use for but that I want just the same. I love threads like this one!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
A levergun in .45-70, particularly in a handy carbine length, is one of those guns I don’t seem to have a practical use for but that I want just the same. I love threads like this one!

I take mine camping. It makes a good everything round. As Arc said, one round of 45-70 gets everyone’s attention. One of these days, I’m going to buy a couple of boxes of these: http://www.grizzlycartridge.co...rodshow&ref=GC4570PP

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
45-70 really stupid story: I had a Ruger Number 3 in 45-70.

Me too. But wow, did that thing kick!

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
for those florida moose Big Grin Wink

Got to have something for the jetski in case of breaching great white sharks! Wink

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used only the 300gr. loads in the Number 3.
I bought a PAST recoil pad and embraced the thump.
Oh... many of my shooting companions maligned the little thumper until I produced a 3 round group that you could cover with a 50 cent piece at 100 yards.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post