SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Joined the 45-70 movement
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined the 45-70 movement Login/Join 
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’ve got mine out on it’s annual deer hunting week. If it’s really well behaved it’ll get to go bear hunting this fall.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've got a JM G model. Bought it new in 2000 probably. I haven't shot it in nearly a decade. Once life slows down, I look forward to re-learning that gun. It certainly is beautiful. I'd love to go bear hunting with it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend had a Browning 1886 years ago that he let me heft, but not shoot. A fantastic rifle.

I'm sure he sold it after his heart surgery, but he didn't tell me and I didn't pry, knowing how much he loved that gun.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have two JM Marlins. One has a Marble's peep, and the other just a William's peep. When i shoot them, I start singing "somewhere over the rainbow", because that's where the bullet will land, given the trajectory. I do like to roll big hogs with the 325 gr Hornady at about 2000 fps, but only inside 200 yards, mostly inside 100.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is some carbine. Very nice. There is just something sexy about the lever action carbine. Congrats

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Found a Sharps for cheap. Holds one round of 45-70.

Bought a revolver later. It holds twelve rounds of 45-70.

If a lever gun was able to present itself someday...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger #3 that I had redone by Great Western Gunsmithing. Has a 16.25" barrel with flash suppressor. Use Hornady ammo almost exclusively. As soon as I figure out how I will post a photo(s). It does let you know you have sent out a large slug at speed, but it can stop a car when used with a flat point 500 gr; most engines just give up under the impact, including the big Detroit blocks, to say nothing of the new tiny aluminum engines on todays cars. Yeah it rides in by business car, alongside a more traditional LE weapon. With a holder for 2 rounds on the fore end and 6 more in a butt cuff, I feel very well armed. It also has a salutary effect on BGs as it is unfamiliar and has a really big hole in the business end.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I'm picking up a 1895 GBL myself today. Didn't have a "need" for it but sure had a "want"!

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the marlin guide guns, we take it when we are camping out here or going up river in the jet boats etc. very handy rifle, fills a few roles for us from moose hunting (although normally I just use a 30-06) to bear protection.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have the plain Marlin rifle model with a compact 4 power scope. It is a fun rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, I did not need to see this. Now I want one of these, even if I have absolutely no use for it.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Man, I did not need to see this. Now I want one of these, even if I have absolutely no use for it.

I don’t think the gun life is really about “need” at least for me it isn’t. I’m jealous of people who can just buy guns based on need though.

My neighbor here has an old 22 (not sure what kind) a ruger 30-06 with the same scope that came on it 30 years ago and a rusty old 12guage Remington. He dosent have high tech gear just a leaky old Lund bost and he gets some of the biggest moose in town every year, year after year he punches his caribou tags and manages to get a few wolves too. All with old army and cabelas clothing, an old boat and old guns.

I wish I could be that way but I just can’t, I like my jet boat and nice optics and clothes that either keep me dry or dry really fast when I get wet.

The nice thing about the marlin lever guns is that for the most part they aren’t terribly expensive. I got my guide gun off gun broker for under 600 dollars.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

that's pretty much how I came to own one 3 years ago or so...

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Here is my JM stamped GS. I put a Redfield 2x7 scope on it that is perfect for the caliber in my opinion. Damn if it didn't scope bite me the first time I shot it with Hornady 325 gr ammo. Smile
It goes with me every time we go Huckleberry picking because bears love them as much as we do.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

One of these days, I’m going to buy a couple of boxes of these: http://www.grizzlycartridge.co...rodshow&ref=GC4570PP

Ummm, OK. So I clicked the link like a fool. Then I realized they were trying to charge $6 a shot for them. So I got scared and hid under the pillow here on the couch. That's some serious change for plinking.

I learned long ago how much fun it is to shoot with the curved steel butt plate. I call them the recoil absorbing steel butt plate. Someone else here indicated they were for head smashing rather than recoil absorption. So they smash heads on the one hand and shoulders on the other. At the $6 a shot price tag, maybe there won't be a lot of smashing going on. Smile

Somewhere down in the dungeon, in a hiding place I still haven't seen in a few years are a couple of .50 cal cans full of reloads. I need to find them because I have this bad habit of including a slip of paper with load details. I'm hoping I used some common sense and they're light loads. Anyone got a guess how many unboxed reloads a .50 cal can holds? I guess I should weight the cans when I find them and then a single load. Unless one of you guys has a good guess I can substitute.

Of my rifles, only one has a scope. Some kind of Leupold 1-4 variable. I bought it for the eye relief more than anything. Its on a Browning which seems to be a light for caliber gun. What amazes me the most is how accurate it seems to be. My targets have been Miller Lite cans. Its relatively easy to keep the shots on the "shield" at 100 yards. Thats deer accuracy in the woods at the very least.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I miss my Guide Gun. Did the current incarnation of Marlin every straighten out their production issues? I'd like to pick up a new one. You NEVER see used ones around here.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had an 1885 highwall and sold it. Stupid. Bought another one (125th Anniversary) and put a Weaver 1-5 Dangerous Game scope on it. Fantastic, strong enough to shoot some really powerful hand loads.
Not for sale.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I miss my Guide Gun. Did the current incarnation of Marlin every straighten out their production issues? I'd like to pick up a new one. You NEVER see used ones around here.

It would be my opinion that they have!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:

They are still cranking out misfit rifles along with acceptable ones. I absolutely would buy no Remlin without an exhaustive going over to include cycling dummy rounds.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I would LOVE one of their Custom Shop rifles. Remington bought a gun crafter in SD a while back I and, by all accounts, is turning out some Uber quality rifles there.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/custom-shop

I know a fellow who is a production manager for them. He described, briefly, some of the challenges they faced when they acquired Marlin. I believe they’ve got it sorted and will be bringing some new things out in the future with a quality anyone will be proud of.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post