SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt 6940: direct impingement or piston operated or....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 6940: direct impingement or piston operated or.... Login/Join 
posted
.... are they making both systems now? I've only been seeing DI carbines for sale lately but it's my understanding that piston operated ones have been made in the past. What's the story on these?

Now that CZ owns Colt, I'm hopeful that new products will be emerging from Hartford.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
....Now that CZ owns Colt, I'm hopeful that new products will be emerging from Hartford.

Check out the Colt M5. Their latest offering with a new Ambi lower.

The 6940P with the piston was discontinued as far as I know.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt consolidated all the production to DI and a single "CARBINE" rollmark. CZ-USA has brought some great stuff to market and has really listened to its customer base; I expect some great things now that things are coming out of Kansas City. Big Grin

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 6940P was the piston model of the 6940. Out of production for quite some time. never say never but likely not to be offered for sale on the commercial market again. It was a good piston system

Posts: 1047 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A. | Registered: July 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it, thanks guys!

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An ambi lower that you can't lock the bolt back isn't really an ambi lower. It's an almost ambi lower. At that price point it isn't even a reasonable choice. I'm talking about the M5.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
An ambi lower that you can't lock the bolt back isn't really an ambi lower. It's an almost ambi lower. At that price point it isn't even a reasonable choice. I'm talking about the M5.

At the Soldier Systems blog, apparently that same question was asked and the source stated that the bolt could be locked to the rear using the ambi (right side) mechanism.

Soldier Systems report on the M5 (see comments)

If this info is erroneous, then yes, it is not truly ambi. If that were the case, the LMT MARS ambi lowers are a better option.

EDIT:

Upon further investigation, a YouTube vid from 'Military Arms Channel' shows that you cannot lock the bolt using the right side bolt catch mechanism.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post