SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    G.A. Precision "Rock" Rifle overview
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G.A. Precision "Rock" Rifle overview Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

I have a number of fine semi-auto M-14's and five bolt action rifles from G.A. Precision. I thought I'd introduce you to the "Rock" that they built several years back. It's a .308 with a Bartlein fluted barrel threaded for a suppressor. Action is Remington 700 short action. It's my favorite rifle, although I do have them in .223, 6.5 x .284 Norma, .284 Winchester, and .308. It's a keeper and one I'd not let go of for any reason...

Wes

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...02/shares/C6F3QFZ1n7

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. Years ago I bought a G.A. .308 used. sold it later. Regretted it ever since.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's try the picture thing again...Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Obviously, I'm an idiot. I can get it to show numerous ways, but not just as a picture. I'll keep trying.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/196969567@N02/DcC8f6jA3g

posted Hide Post
GAP rifles just plain shoot.

There was a time when GAP was among the few nationally-recognized gunsmiths who could really put together rugged precision rifle. GAP still is up there, but they are others. Sigforum member jelrod1 is one of the best. Based on the jelrod1 rifles I've shot, his are a notch above GAP's rifles.

I have two GAP Crusader models. The first is a 308 and the second a 6.5CM. The 308 can still be called a GAP rifle, as most GAP parts are still in place. The Remy trigger has been tweaked a bit, the rail on the Defiance receiver has been replaced, but the barrel must be on its last legs. It now sports an ARCA rail.

It is challenging to continue calling my 6.5CM a GAP rifle. My local 'smith has replaced the trigger, replaced the rail on the receiver, has twice installed new Bartlein barrels, and has added an ARCA rail. The 6.5CM is now more accurate in my hands than it was in its original GAP form, but that may be more me than the rifle.

IMO what makes a GAP rifle work is quality components and quality assembly. The early GAPs had consistent themes -- tuned Remy trigger, McMillan stock, Bartlein barrel, Defiance or squared Remington 700 action. Chamber the barrel well, properly bed the action, and the rifle shoots. Maybe not rocket science, but attention to detail is required. GAP is absolutely a safe bet for a precision rifle for someone lacking great local gunsmiths.

My local 'smith matches (if not exceeds) what GAP can do. I've sourced my own components -- often based on items won in competition. The 6CM and 223 Remy bolt actions he built produce outstanding accuracy. Graboe stocks, Defiance actions, Bartlein & Proof Research barrels, Triggertech triggers.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's easy to see why it's your favorite - very nice! Cool

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
There is something so cool about scopes with huge knobs. Every time a see a skilled shooter turning one of those, I realize how inexperienced I am. Now sir, please lay out that number of fine M14s side by side for us and take a few pictures.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David,

I need to do a "family" photo shoot for you guys and myself. I'll try to get that done this week.
Thanks for the kind words...

Wes

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
How about this, Wes...

I'm sorry, but my favorite GA Precision of yours was the 6.5-284 in the JAE-700 chassis. My son shot a head sized target with it at 600 yards 2 years ago. He was 10 back then.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Weshowe, that is one nice rifle!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Rock for Christmas back in 05 or 06 I think. 22 inch fluted barrel, A1 stock gap camo. Such a nice rifle, and it really shot well.

I always considered it a product improved M40A1.

I ended up selling it which I regret but I needed the money. I shot a $500 Savage 10TR right next to it one day and the Savage shot dam near as good, and weighed considerably less. Couldn't justify keeping it after that. Still own the Savage.

I would love to get that rifle back one day. It made me look really good. Headshots in full value wind at 500 yards on a Larue popper were downright boring with a 3-9 scope and 168FGMM.

Some guy in NY bought it from me. If you are reading this sir and want to part with it reach out.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Pete",

We really do love our GAP rifles. While I own several others this would be the last I would part with...

Your rifle was a beauty in GAP Camo. I much prefer the Rock to the Crusader series...the answer is to buy both!

Wes

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Yeah my thoughts were that the Rock would be more portable than a regular M40A1, and especially any A3-A5 stocked rifles.

Little shorter barrel, fluted, and stock a little bit lighter. But in reality, it was a pig too. But If I had to be sure about taking shots in the 750 to 1000 range, the stability and precision really shine there. And I never hand loaded for mine, guy I know with a Crusader was and he was shooting bugholes. I always wanted to evolve to that, like a mad scientist cooking up his own rounds but I just never got around to it.

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I never considered my "Rock" to be a pig. Not to heavy in my younger days. Now, I'm 71 and it goes from the truck to the range. Short trips, but I still love it...

"Reacher", my double lug McMillan M-14 rifle weighs in at about 18 pounds...it's a beast.

Wes

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
It was lighter than the M40A1 and other heavy barreled 700s. Struck a decent balance but I picked up an LTR one day and realized how much lighter it was. My Savage is similar.

Not fair to compare to the M14s. They are big boned. Big Grin