SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need Advice - Bolt Action Woodchuck Rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice - Bolt Action Woodchuck Rifle Login/Join 
posted
Just bought a new property in Virginia that has a woodchuck issue. I have many semiauto and lever action rifles, but not a single bolt action. So, I want a bolt action rifle capable of 300 yard kill shots chambered in something other that 22lr & .223/5.56. Looking for something fun to shoot and with good ammo availability.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my Ground Hog sniping days: 22-250. Or 220 Swift.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt prairie dogs with a Ruger 77V chambered for 22-250 and I didn’t miss many out to 250 yards. Much beyond that things were a little less certain, but I also didn’t have that many opportunities. A woodchuck should be easier to hit than most prairie dogs. I used only handloads in those days, but I imagine today’s factory offerings are much better than what I had available.

I really have come to like Tikka rifles and if I were in your shoes I’d be looking hard at their “varmint” model.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTX...37--barrel-MPN-.aspx

The 22-250 cartridge is a little hot for those prairie dog shoots I’ve heard about that last all day, but would be fine for your purposes, I believe.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
.204 Ruger, or .22-250 are your friends. You might also look at rounds like the .17 Hornet, which is a center fire .17.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I zeroed at 250 yards with the 55 grain 22-250. It was a little more than 2 inches low at 300.
It was the wind you had to factor in with longer distances.
220 Swift was pretty similar.

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.204 ruger and 22-250 are probably the best alternatives. but in all honesty I'd just get a .223 bolt. Everything a plus and none a minus for your stated needs.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question - do you hand load your ammo, or will you be buying store stock?

IF you are concerned about wind, the 22's are not your friends. Look at the 243 Winchester or even a 257 Roberts. A 90 grain bullet at 2900 fps has 3.3" less drift at 300 yards than a 60 gr v-max at 2900 fps from a 223 (which is 24" bolt action speed).

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Question - do you hand load your ammo, or will you be buying store stock?

Buying store stock. No time for hand loading. Barely get time to shoot, though I save my brass just in case the day arrives.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
.204 ruger and 22-250 are probably the best alternatives. but in all honesty I'd just get a .223 bolt. Everything a plus and none a minus for your stated needs.

Just looking for a different round. I have ARs capable of making the shot, in fact my 6.8 SPC is better than 0.4 MOA with store bought Federal ammo. I just want something a little different and maybe tighter for a bolt gun. Shooting woodchucks gives the rifle practical purpose.

posted Hide Post
Seeing a theme here: .204 and 22-250

I had considered .243, as per one recommendation. The round has a good reputation. Certainly more than capable.

Would the 22-250 be better in the wind (usually cross breeze) than the .204 and .243 better than 22-250?

Not real worried, as I would like to get some experience reading the wind and making adjustments. Just curious.

Good recommendation on the Tikka T3X. Looks like a sweet little package.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ll chime in too, 204 or 22-250. The 204 would have a bit less blast, sorta a 223 case with a 20 cal bullet.

Factory 22-250 will be loaded to full power, more blast. With smallish SE deer, it would double with the right bullet.

I recently bought a Savage Axis at Walmart, clearance/sale for $198. They had the 243 in stock too. I’ve been neutral on Savage, but so far this Axis is proving it’s worth, especially for 198.

No matter the gun, then I’d evaluate the trigger, possibly upgrade, then mount good glass.

In my yard/back field, I’d grab my 204 over the 22-250 for possum sized pest control. If it’s 50 yards or so, the sighted in 17 HMR is plenty.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I'll be the first to agree that the.204, 22-250 are fine cartridges. However, I use my tactical rifles in .308, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 x .284 for varminting to keep sharp and and get additional practice.

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
I use my tactical rifles in .308, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 x .284 for varminting to keep sharp and get additional practice.

Not a bad idea: Multipurpose training for maximum benefit and all that.
I prefer maximum expansion bullets on small varmints for cleanest kills, but I would imagine that either the Federal or Hornady 95 grain bullet loads for 6.5 Creedmoor would work perfectly well on a woodchuck. It wouldn’t be as much “fun” to shoot—but only in some ways.

If you get a bolt gun chambered for a heavier cartridge, who knows where that might take you. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
I use my tactical rifles in .308, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 x .284 for varminting to keep sharp and get additional practice.

Not a bad idea: Multipurpose training for maximum benefit and all that.
I prefer maximum expansion bullets on small varmints for cleanest kills, but I would imagine that either the Federal or Hornady 95 grain bullet loads for 6.5 Creedmoor would work perfectly well on a woodchuck. It wouldn’t be as much “fun” to shoot—but only in some ways.

If you get a bolt gun chambered for a heavier cartridge, who knows where that might take you. Wink

Funny you say that.
My CPA is into long range hunting. He uses his .338 sniper rifle for ground hogs on a couple of large farms in Floyd County VA. He says that there is nothing to pick up so it’s easy for him!
Most of his shots are in the 800-1200 yards..

He keeps threatening to take me with him!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I owned a farm in Virginia, I used a Remington 700 in .22-250. That was until my brother got a German Shepherd mix who killed all the ground hogs on our 70+ acres.

Today, if I was looking for my first bolt gun, I'd seriously consider a Ruger or Tikka precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor -- 95 gr. varmint round.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Seeing a theme here: .204 and 22-250

I had considered .243, as per one recommendation. The round has a good reputation. Certainly more than capable.

Would the 22-250 be better in the wind (usually cross breeze) than the .204 and .243 better than 22-250?

Not real worried, as I would like to get some experience reading the wind and making adjustments. Just curious.

Good recommendation on the Tikka T3X. Looks like a sweet little package.

I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in .243. It's a tack driver, light, nice round. But it's a deer/small hog/coyote round and would be overkill on a 'chuck. Blast is pretty impressive, as you are using a .308 charge to drive a .243/6mm bullet. Throat erosion is a thing if you are going to shoot a lot of rounds through it, as it'a pretty overbore. If doing a .243/6mm, I would seriously consider the 6mm Creedmoor which is designed to more modern standards and gives better barrel life and heavier bullet choices if your interests ever go that way.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first varmint rifle was a 6mm Remington 788. killed a great many groundhogs with it. also learned to reload on it. unless you want to eat them, 243, 6mm both make very fine groundhog rifles.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
6mm br or brx. Wear those puppies out !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a big Ground Hog problem on my in-laws farm but the ranges involved were around 100 yards. The center fire .22s were overkill at those ranges (and money wise, too) so I went with .22 Magnum.
As long as you did not push the distance, it did a fine job.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Isn't the next new hotness the 6mm Creedmoor?

Could be a nice multitasker rifle if you could find a suitable rifle chambered for it.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post