SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 10/22 scope: Leupold vs Vortex
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 10/22 scope: Leupold vs Vortex Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hello, friends.

I am looking for a scope for my Ruger 10/22 Sporter that is lightweight, SFP, and low magnification, e.g. 1-4x or 2-7x. Mainly used for general utility and plinking. Max range will be 100 yards (maybe 200 just for fun). I have it narrowed down to these:

Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 MOA-Ring Riflescope 180590
Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33 Matte Rimfire MOA 174179
Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire Riflescope with V-Plex Reticle (MOA) CF2-31001R

I really like the 9.4oz weight of the Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20! And these scopes go up in weight from there. I am concerned, though, about its fixed 150yd parallax setting of the 1.5-4x. I've read that parallax is really no big deal at all, especially at these short rimfire ranges. I also like the versatility of the 2-7x scopes. But those are heavier, especially the Vortex.

I'd like your feedback on these scopes. For example, what am I getting for the $299 price of the Leupolds that I am not getting with the $129 Vortex. I looked thru a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 scope at my local store recently and was very impressed with the clarity, field of view, and reticle.

Thanks for your time!

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't give you a comparison as I don't buy Vortex in the lines that are made in china. But I do have several of the Leupold 2-7x33 scopes and find them just about perfect on a 10/22. I don't need really low magnification on a plinking type gun and I do use 7x a lot. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
what am I getting for the $299 price of the Leupolds that I am not getting with the $129 Vortex.

Made In America!

In my humble opinion, the proper parallax range is a consideration.. It's more forgiving. Not so important for plinking and general utility, but might be important if you want to shoot for small groups, or quick shots on very small prey.

Parallax error maybe not be significant at rimfire ranges with the 150 yard scopes
if you have a very consistent positioning of your eye behind the eyepiece.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire scope for a few years on a 10/22 takedown. Has been a good scope for me. No experience with the Leupold scopes you reference.
Though not made in USA if thats an issue mine was made in the Phillipines.
https://vortexoptics.com/vorte...-moa-riflescope.html

Posts: 245 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have several of both brands for Ruger .22s and the hands down winner is Leupold because of eye-box and how clear they are.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Leupold VX-Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33. Thanks, everyone!

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:

Good call on the Leupoold.

Buying more glass than you think you need or can afford is like buying a safe, buy more than you think you need! Cry just once.

Posts: 3491 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:

You will love it. I have always just put a Leupold 3x9 on my .22's, but the rimfire one it really nice and clearer for me at short ranges.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Older model Tascos made in Japan seem to be the best bang for your dollar,

Posts: 186 | Location: Troy,AL | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post