SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What height scope rings do I need to mount a 1" tube scope on an AR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What height scope rings do I need to mount a 1" tube scope on an AR? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
High, extra high? Any recommendation on some good, inexpensive ones?

Thanks guys

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19227 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR iron sights are 1.4" above the rail, so if you like that height already, 1.4" should be fine. Integrated one-piece mounts are often 1.5" which is fine too. I use Lower 1/3 cowitness on red dots and the mounts I use are 1.57" above the rail. My magnified optic mount is the same.

Regular two-ring sets vary in height relative to the "medium, hight, extra-high" naming. For an AR extra-high is probably what you need. Just look for AR-specific ring sets.

Highly recommend a one-piece mount that can cantilever a bit. Primary Arms has reasonable prices on their one-piece mounts, or you can go with Larue, American Tactical, and various others.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
A couple of things come into play here. One, it needs to be high enough that you can get behind the scope comfortably. If the mount is too low you wind up having to crunch your jaw hard into the stock. If it's too high then your cheek weld becomes a "chin weld".

You also need to consider the diameter of the bell on the objective end of the scope. The rings need to be high enough for the bell to clear the receiver (or barrel, depending on how long the scope is).

I found a site a while back that helps a lot, here. Plug in all measurements and hit the Calculate button and it will tell you if everything fits or not. Adjust the scope ring height number (3rd one down on the page) until you get a Pass. Then take a ruler with you to the store and look for rings with that height or a bit taller.

1.5" ring height is a number that seems to work well for a lot of applications, but if you have a really big bell or a really tall scope base it can throw things off.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
A couple of things come into play here. One, it needs to be high enough that you can get behind the scope comfortably. If the mount is too low you wind up having to crunch your jaw hard into the stock. If it's too high then your cheek weld becomes a "chin weld".

You also need to consider the diameter of the bell on the objective end of the scope. The rings need to be high enough for the bell to clear the receiver (or barrel, depending on how long the scope is).

I found a site a while back that helps a lot, here. Plug in all measurements and hit the Calculate button and it will tell you if everything fits or not. Adjust the scope ring height number (3rd one down on the page) until you get a Pass. Then take a ruler with you to the store and look for rings with that height or a bit taller.

1.5" ring height is a number that seems to work well for a lot of applications, but if you have a really big bell or a really tall scope base it can throw things off.

This is the correct answer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Expert I pretty much have that covered.

It is a Bushnell 4x scope with a 32mm obj. It has a set of medium rings that are way to short. I have a 1" riser and after adding it might heights seems good.
I was thinking of going to a single set of rings high enough vs using the med. rings and riser.
Seems like 1-1/2" does seem about right.

The mount lefty is talking about is a good idea. I was just wondering about cheaper alternatives like rings

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19227 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Cantilever mounts are good in that they can fix problems of eye relief. Any scope is limited in how far fore or aft you can move it relative to the rings, by the distance between the turret and the bell or eyepiece. It's not uncommon to mount a scope as far forward as the receiver and rings will allow but still find your face too close to it. Then you have to exert muscle power to pull your head back, which is uncomfortable and will usually detract from accuracy. A cantilever mount lets you shift the scope farther forward.

Some AR handguards have rails that extend the full length of the guard, right back to the front end of the receiver. In theory that lets you put your forward scope ring out on the handguard rail, allowing a more forward positioning of the scope. But, depending on alignment of the receiver and handguard rails and flexing of the handguard under strain from a bipod or sling, having one scope ring out on the handguard can introduce some instability into the scope mounting system. Again, a cantilever mount is probably the solution. But if your setup works for you then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Cool

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have the PA one in 30mm that is decent for the price.
The 1" one is $60, https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...5-scope-mount-1-inch

Those are 1.5" above the rail.
The Swampfox one I have is 1.60" tall with a 1-6 LPVO that's getting swapped for a 1-8.

My AR10 has a 1.4" tall ADM Scout mount with a .5" pic riser and a 1-8 scope that's getting a 6-24x50 Vortex.
Will probably leave the 1.9" setup as is for now as it was working with the 1-8.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have used these on an AR

very secure. not quick release.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020891390

once properly torqued it ain't going anywhere

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post