Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Freethinker |
I thought I knew the answer to this, but then I ran across something recently that (may have) indicated I was wrong: Do the separate flip-up magnifiers that are commonly placed in line behind optical sights like Aimpoints magnify the visual size of the red dot reticle as well as the image of the target? I always assumed so, but if true, I also assume there’s no way they could change the relative size of the dot and image; i.e., if unmagnified dot covers 4 MOA of the target, it would still be 4 MOA as compared with the magnified image—correct? The statement (by a scope manufacturer, IIRC) seemed to suggest that if a separate 3× magnifier was used, it would be like having a 12 MOA dot covering the target. As I say, I think I know the answer to both questions, but I’ve been wrong before and am therefore asking those who use magnifiers with red dot sights. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato | ||
|
| Go ahead punk, make my day |
The dot doesn't change size - the magnifier magnifies both the image with the dot, so if it's 2 MOA, it remains 2 MOA. It appears 'bigger' because the image is magnified, but it is the same size. | |||
|
| Freethinker |
All right. That makes sense and is what I expected, but wanted to check. Thanks. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” — Plato | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

