SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .357 Marlin gets it done.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 Marlin gets it done. Login/Join 
posted
Hello guys. Today was our annual family hog hunt and another successful one at that. In addition to my brother and son, we were also joined by my good friend and neighbor who shot a massive 331lb boar, and my brothers FIL who shot a nice red sow. I didn’t shoot this year as my son and I take turns year to year. I also just enjoy being with him and watching him as he hunts and enjoys our time in the field.

Today we also went back to basics with our weapons. The 300blk’s were left at home and the 30/30’s and my .357 Marlin that I took last year and did not use, were what we used to hunt with. My goal was to see if my home load of 158gr Hornady XTP with 16gr of IMR 4227 would put a hog down humanly. I’m here to tell you, it was deadly on this 135lb sow. My son hit a perfect heart lung shot which turned her organs to red jelly. She went down, kicked one or two times and went still. My brothers FIL took his with a 30/30, and Ben took the huge boar with a 30.06. All in all a great day with 4 sows and a boar harvested.

My son was 16 when he first went with me. He turned 24 a few days ago and is 6’0 235lbs. He is a caring human being and that huge smile on his face says it all after a successful hunt. That little Marlin is a beast with a lot of bite for its size. I hope to give it a spin on deer in a few weeks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1090 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m anxiously awaiting the release of a new .357 lever by Ruger. Good to know they’ll deliver the heat on some mobile bacon.

Posts: 13731 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Looks like you guys had a great day!

Where did you hunt at?

I'm not a hunter, it doesn't interest me very much, but I'd like to go one day for the experience.

Posts: 13037 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very cool, your son working that .357 Marlin so well!

How distant would you estimate the pig was?

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That'll fill your freezer for a while. Do you process your own meat or do you get it done?

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Another nice report!

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done! Looks like a fun time and quality time with your son as well. Thanks for sharing the outcome...we don't have pigs here but it's nice to know the old .357 1894 is up to the task should the opportunity ever present itself.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well done! Man, this year has flown by. I remember your report from last year this time and it seems like it was only a few months ago!

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Looks like you guys had a great day!

Where did you hunt at?

I'm not a hunter, it doesn't interest me very much, but I'd like to go one day for the experience.

We were hunting in Williston, Florida. The shot was about 30 yds. We were in a heavily wooded area so no long shots.

Posts: 1090 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
A great day and ham and bacon meals ahead. Thanks for the story of the day and photos.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1523 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Always like your stories every year.

Let’s see more !

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
That'll fill your freezer for a while. Do you process your own meat or do you get it done?

I do all the processing at home. It sits on ice and fresh water for 5 days (changed daily till all the blood is out) I then trim the fat off, and wrap them up nicely in freezer paper and freeze it. It will last about a year in the freezer. It all gets made into pulled pork at some point Big Grin.

posted Hide Post
Very nicely done!!

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt guys. I never knew Florida even had a piggy population. I guess they are every where. Pulled pork bbq..every time I hear that I go looking around.. Big Grin. The stuff is magic.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I always enjoy your hog hunt posts because it's great to see generations of family and friends enjoy a successful hunt... but also because I'm envious.

We don't have any wild pigs here but I would love to try hunting them someday.

It's also great to get some real world caliber and loading results.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Not a bad day for the A team!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8315 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time, and some good eating sizes, too!

Now Doc, don't forget to post some of the cooked results, just so I can make sure my salivary glands still work. Smile

Posts: 779 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Very nice- always look forward to the family pics every year. I’m hoping to drop a whitetail with my Marlin 1894CP and give my flock of .44’s a rest this year.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post