SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Steyr STG77 Owner - Where to look for must haves?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Steyr STG77 Owner - Where to look for must haves? Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted
About a month and half back I stumbled upon a listing on Tin Star Gun Ranges website for a Steyr STG77 (out of stock). As I learned this was a 40th anniversary edition release of the venerable service issue STG77 or AUG. From what I can gather they were announced in 2017 and were produced up to 2018. Judging by my SN they made more than 500 and perhaps they stopped at 1000 made.
I had never really been interested in the AUG for whatever reason, sidetracked with HK, UZI and SIG's mainly but something about this 40th anniversary edition with its retro skinny 1.5x scope/site and lack of picatinny rails spoke to me.
I picked one up NIB off GB from Birmingham Pistol and have been reading and learning about the AUG waiting for it to show and since.

This 40th anniversary model straddles the line between the original Pre-Ban A1 models and the new A3 with the configurable picatinny rails or 1.5X/3X scopes/sites. This edition just made a skinny retro scope/site version compatible with the A3's modular design, so I could remove it and add a rail system or the current scopes/sites with integral picatinny rails sections. This edition has the 20" finned barrel and retro tulip flash hider that screamed DieHard/AUG to me.

I am interested to hear what AUG platform "must haves" you recommend and where to source said items?

Looks like CDNN has the best waffle mag pricing and Pete Athens/PJA site lists a wide assortment of out of stock parts (at this time anyway).

But if there are any other tips or tricks thanks for the education.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the AUG! I have an M3 I bought years ago, love it. Only thing I did was add an Aimpoint Comp M3. I thought really hard about getting one of the models you have because I wanted the "Die Hard" look too but decided against it. It's such a fun gun. Feels odd when you first start handling it but you get used to it quick.

Manventure Outpost has mags for $23.99. I lucked out when places were blowing them out for $5.99 back in 2013...bought about 20 each of the 30 and 40 rounders. I haven't tried the Magpul mags but I want to pick a few up.

https://www.manventureoutpost....0050200A_p_8536.html

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Best thing you can do for the trigger is the Rat Worx 20/20 sear (~$110), really tightens it up and reduces the over travel ... if you want to lighten it a bit, the Trigger Tamer (~$50), Google or look on GunBroker usually has them.

I've had the Trigger Tamer for 15+ years but resisted the sear for a couple years, I finally gave in and wish I hadn't put it off.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the gearhead works redesigned charging handle. Money well spent if you dont like getting your hand eaten.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I love the gearhead works redesigned charging handle. Money well spent if you dont like getting your hand eaten.

While that may be arguably true, It surely doesn't belong on a 40th Anniversary model STG77.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:

While that may be arguably true, It surely doesn't belong on a 40th Anniversary model STG77.

Thats fair. I forgot about it being a collectors item if thats the way the OP intends it.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Update So far I have procured:
*Green factory 30 rdr's from Steyr Arms
*Factory cleaning kit from Steyr Arms - stores in stock (doesnt come with rifle ;^|)
*Factory sling from Steyr Arms (again doesnt come with rifle)
* black MagPul Steyr Aug mags from AimSurplus Cheapest price I found and free shipping at $45 level (currently stuck in USPS!)

Thanks for tip on the Sear from RatWorx, watched their video on installation, looks easy

Broke out the DieHard Video and watched with a newfound appreciation.
Any other Aug movies I should view?

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Update So far I have procured:
*Green factory 30 rdr's from Steyr Arms
*Factory cleaning kit from Steyr Arms - stores in stock (doesnt come with rifle ;^|)
*Factory sling from Steyr Arms (again doesnt come with rifle)
* black MagPul Steyr Aug mags from AimSurplus Cheapest price I found and free shipping at $45 level (currently stuck in USPS!)

Thanks for tip on the Sear from RatWorx, watched their video on installation, looks easy

Broke out the DieHard Video and watched with a newfound appreciation.
Any other Aug movies I should view?

HK Ag
La Femme Nikita has a good scene

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Definitely ‘The Package’ Starring Tommy Lee Jones & Gene Hackman

Also ‘Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man’ Starring Don Johnson & Mikey Rourke

The AUG also makes cameos in Miami Vice episodes’Out where the buses don’t run’ and ‘Free Verse’ as well as the movie ‘Point Break’

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with AUG magazines at Robert RTG parts and CDNN.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Base on my 18B time with the AUG, you most likely need the following parts:

Magazines and lots of ammo!

AUG's are very reliable and hard to break.

18Z50....I was AUGsome once!

Posts: 363 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
You need to post a picture of your new Steyr!

Photo Aug 04, 5 01 05 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post