SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought my last rifle of 2021 Update: Front sight issue possibly resolved in newest post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought my last rifle of 2021 Update: Front sight issue possibly resolved in newest post Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
I have all the battle rifles I want, my thing now is trainers. Picked this up at the OGCA show yesterday. Seller wanted $600, negotiated $500, a fair price in my opinion. 1941 Winchester Model 75. Nice metal, stock has some patina, looks nice for 80 years old. Will fit in with my other trainers. Hopefully warmer tomorrow, I want to sent some lead down range.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats, sweet looking rifle. I know nothing of that particular rifle or values. But that seems like a big price. Just my opinion. Sweet though.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
fair price on that rifle,

the market for the old trainers and small bore rifles has been soft for a bit,

both of mine, (brightly blued commercial gun, and a parkerized US marked trainer) shoot very well,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
When cleaning it, I noticed the front sight is loose and moves in the dovetail. Here's pictures of both sides and the bottom of the sight:

The bottom is marked "17 AHB".

How do I tighten so it doesn't move? Can I just shim it with a piece of soda can?

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ev, thats a Lyman front globe and I find the 75 came originally with a Redfield. The sights dovetail is not correct for the barrel cut so you can see someone forced it. You can find the original Redfields on line. Sometimes still new in box. Its also possible Lyman made a replacement for the 75 but that dont seem correct. Unless of corse fitting was required. I found a 75 for sale up in Ohio so fine it made my heart pound. They are a sweet little rifle.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Looks like Lyman 77 front was original to your rear Lyman. They came also with Vaver or Redfield sights.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tap the dovetail slightly with the sight removed, this will push one side down and back into the gap the dovetail makes.

Looking from the receiver towards the muzzle, pick one side(aft or forward) of dovetail. Just lightly tap one…try and if needed tap the other side (for or aft)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the advice. Tapping with a punch did not work, so I cut a small piece from a soda can to use as a shim. Seems to be holding in place with no wiggle. I am curious that the sight has no manufacturer mark just the numbers and letters.

-Bomber Harris

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The 17 AHB are Lyman numbers. The sight also works for the Winchester 52. Did you 75 come with any military markings?

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The 17 AHB are Lyman numbers. The sight also works for the Winchester 52. Did you 75 come with any military markings?

Not military marked. I'm actually at the range right now getting ready to shoot it. Using my nazi-era trainer as the control since it's a tack driver.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Sight is centered and on good and tight. Can't even hit 8" target @ 50 yds. I need to learn how to use the rear sight. With the control rifle I was hitting the bullseye @ 100 yds and ringing (ok, tinking, it is 22lr after all) steel @ 150 yds with iron sights, so I'm not the problem.

-Bomber Harris

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!

Back at the family home, I have an old Model 52 with the same sight setup. When it's dialed in right, it's a good system and easy to make good, accurate hits with. I don't have any advice on how to dial it in, unfortunately. Mine was more or less dead-on when we bought it. Is it at least on paper at shorter ranges?

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Nice rifle!

Back at the family home, I have an old Model 52 with the same sight setup. When it's dialed in right, it's a good system and easy to make good, accurate hits with. I don't have any advice on how to dial it in, unfortunately. Mine was more or less dead-on when we bought it. Is it at least on paper at shorter ranges?

50 yds is the shortest range where I shoot. Just need to learn how to adjust the Redfield peep sight.

-Bomber Harris

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ah, gotcha. Well, when you do, I'm betting it'll be a one-hole-wonder with good ammo.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post