SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    2023: The Henry Homesteader 9mm Semi-Automatic Carbine
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2023: The Henry Homesteader 9mm Semi-Automatic Carbine Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I like it.
Picture and text excerpt from the article.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....i-automatic-carbine/

By Travis Pike -January 16, 2023

"That charm is in the wood furniture and classic layout that makes me think of the early Marlin camp guns. It’s simple, but simple is good.

The Homesteader has the same beautiful finish you get on most Henry guns and it’s offset by what appears to be a stainless steel bolt. The gun is simple, but packs all the features of a more modern platform. It’s like a retromod take on a 9mm PCC.
The magazines vary. Henry has five- and ten-round proprietary magazines, but the magwell is modular. You can get options to take (yes) GLOCK, Smith & Wesson M&P, and SIG P320 magazines. That’s a very smart move.

The barrel is threaded with the industry standard 1/2×28 threading for easy suppressor attachment."

Edited to add:
"The gun uses a blowback action, but they must be using some kind of tuning or a great recoil spring. You don’t have the same recoil you expect from blowback guns. It’s light and friendly, much like the Ruger PC Carbine with its dead blow blowback system."

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. That walnut-and-steel look is right up my alley. Looks almost like a 9mm BAR.

Taking Glock and P320 mags is a bonus.

Pricing is a little bit of a bummer, although not unexpected for wood/steel vs. plastic/aluminum... MSRP will be $928 for the proprietary Henry magazine model, or $959 for models that have an additional adapter for Glock or Sig/S&W magazines. So probably ~$800-$850 street price.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
That's pretty neat. Nice to see something released occasionally that's not loaded in plastic & pic rails.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Would make for a neat ranch rifle.
But, I think I'd lean more toward a Scorpion at that price.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
That walnut-and-steel look is right up my alley. Looks almost like a 9mm BAR.

Yep, or a cousin of the Browning A5. Well, it was looks that sold me on one of their single shots and that's turned out to be a good buy, so I guess I'm part of the market they're targeting with this.

Still, being the pissy little consumer that I can be sometimes -

- a closed bolt system would be nice, especially if that meant that

- rifles just like this would be tastefully chambered in EBR cartridges (people forget the VEPR Pioneer, but that might make for a particularly neat option in some restricted states), and

- I'd happily trade the cut in the receiver for ambidextrous use for a thoughtfully-sized rght-hand only operating lever.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The BAR similarly also struck me. Shame they went through the trouble of making a classy wood and steel rifle and include a plastic magazine. I would think a 10 round 9mm Colt AR mag would be a better choice, with 20 and 30 round options.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Looks like it'll take any Glock 9mm mag.
A G26 10 or 12 round Magpul for totin' around the ranch and options for pistol compatibility with 17 rounders if you're carrying a G45 or G17.
And then the all mighty 33 round big stick for epic mag dumps!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Too bad about the safety location, a tang mounted peep sight would be right. Or maybe my inner boomer is leaking out.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Dang you Richard, just when I thought I was done buying guns for a while you go and show us this! This is literally the PC Carbine that I wanted...no cheesey takedown barrel, not fugly plastic, and it even takes P320 magazines. The MSRP is kinda hurtful, but dang, that looks like a sweet little gun. If it comes apart without using screws like the PC Carbine, I may have to get one.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a must buy! Exactly what I have wanted, just never expected anyone to ever make one!

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how long before a 45acp version comes out?

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:

Or 357Sig!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Make in 10mm!! Now that would be something you could use to dispatch even bigger critters

Nice looking firearm, Henry does it right. Like the tang safety since I shoot left handed.

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a larger format 10mm/.45ACP version that takes G20/G21/G29/G30 magazines would be awesome.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like that! The modular mag well was a very smart move.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:

Or 357Sig!

According to Ballistics By The Inch, the only pistol cartridge that actually gains velocity from a carbine-length barrel until the bullet leaves the muzzle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bubbatime mentioned this new Henry in the SHOT show thread in SIG pistols. Good info here, I like the looks of it. Used to want a Marlin Camp Carbine, but never got one. This may scratch that old itch.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Want.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty handsome carbine, although the forend looks a little graceless. That would be fun in 357 SIG or .44 Magnum.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post