SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA - S&W recalling M&P 15-22 made before 2/1/19
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA - S&W recalling M&P 15-22 made before 2/1/19 Login/Join 
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted
DESCRIPTION - Please Read This If You Have A M&P15-22 Rimfire Firearm.

PRODUCT AFFECTED:
ALL models of M&P15-22 rifles and pistols manufactured before February 1, 2019.

STOP USING YOUR M&P15-22 UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND YOUR BOLT REPLACED (IF NECESSARY).
Smith & Wesson has identified two M&P15-22 firearms from recent production on which the breech face counter bore depth was not within manufacturing specification. In those firearms, the lack of depth may allow the bolt, upon closing, to crush the rim of the case, causing the round to fire, cycling the bolt, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger. This issue can occur in the following two scenarios:

1) With a loaded magazine in the firearm and the bolt locked to the rear, depressing the bolt release to allow the bolt to drop freely may ignite the round as the bolt closes without engaging the trigger and with the safety selector in either the safe or the fire position, and may also result in multiple discharges.

2) With a loaded magazine in the firearm, bolt in the closed position and a round in the chamber and the safety selector in the fire position, depressing the trigger will cause the round to fire normally, however as the bolt cycles, the next round may be ignited by the bolt crushing the rim of the case as it closes, causing multiple discharges.

We believe that these are isolated incidents, however, any unintended discharge of a firearm has the potential to cause injury. Therefore, we have developed this inspection procedure to ensure that all products in the field are safe to use. We are asking customers to perform the following procedure and to refrain from using their M&P15-22 until the bolt has been inspected and replaced as necessary.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT INVOLVED:
The out of specification condition has been found only in bolts that were recently manufactured. While our investigation suggests that the incidents are isolated, we have established this inspection procedure as a precautionary matter to ensure that all M&P15-22 firearms in service meet our design specifications. We are asking consumers of all M&P15-22 firearms manufactured before February 1, 2019 to inspect their bolt for this condition.

REMEDY/ACTION TO BE TAKEN:
The bolt from your M&P15-22 must be inspected to determine whether it exhibits the condition identified in this notice. To determine whether your firearm is affected by this condition, please inspect your firearm by following the inspection instructions provided here.
DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTION MANUAL | VIEW INSPECTION VIDEO

CLICK HERE FOR FAQ FACT SHEET (see website)
If you are uncomfortable in conducting the bolt inspection outlined here, or are unsure whether the condition described in this notice applies to your bolt, please send your bolt to Smith & Wesson for inspection and replacement if necessary.

If you want Smith & Wesson to perform the inspection, send your bolt to Smith & Wesson for free inspection and replacement (if necessary).

If you want to perform the bolt inspection yourself, contact us for the free M&P15-22 BOLT INSPECTION GAUGE Part Number: 3012155 OR place an ORDER ONLINE to recieve inspection gauge.

If the bolt from your firearm is affected by the condition outlined in this notice, please send the bolt to Smith & Wesson. If necessary, your bolt will be replaced at no cost to you. Your bolt will be returned as quickly and efficiently as possible. All shipping and replacement costs will be covered by Smith & Wesson.

To determine if this consumer advisory applies to your M&P15-22 firearm, please utilize our
SERIAL NUMBER VERIFICATION TOOL (see website)

Website For More Information: MP15-22SafetyAlert.com
Email: MP15-22SafetyAlert@smith-wesson.com
Customer Service Phone: 1-800-713-0356

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Wow. So it randomly turns into a slam fire machine gun? Big Grin

I know Apple Seed stopped allowing them. Was this part of it?

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The local GS was out of them last week. Will hold off on purchase for the time being.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Wow. So it randomly turns into a slam fire machine gun? Big Grin

I know Apple Seed stopped allowing them. Was this part of it?

Appleseed's complaint was that some of them fired out of battery. They had multiple issues from all over the country. In one instance a shooter nearby was injured.
When they talked to S&W, they were told that there was nothing wrong with the model.
Since they felt that S&W wasn't going to address the issue, they banned the use of them during Appleseed events

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I just bought another one in Dec 2018 headspaced checked with small depth mike showed .039 so yeh I got a bad one. Shot an Email off to S&W.

Dzozer...Thanks for the info.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I am having the gauge sent, I have had mine for a long time, have the DTX serial number. Put the serial number in and they said I need to check the bolt.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
For those that are interested the 22LR head space relief in the breech face or bolt, it should be 0.043" to 0.051".

The one in my bad 15-22 bolt is .039" SN DFD6xxx.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Interesting. My club has a number of them to use for Revere's Riders. I wonder if they still use them.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, this is the first time I'd heard of the issue and recall.

My gun is getting close to 10 years old. I don't think it has an issue, but I don't have anything at home to reliably measure to 3 digits. S&W has a little tool to check, free on their web store if you enter your serial #.

https://store.smith-wesson.com...olt-inspection-gauge

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting mine is 3 years old and I was unaware. Need to check now.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You just need to get the tool. There is no value in “checking” your serial number unless you bought a new one in the last couple of weeks. Every 15-22 made before 2/1/19 will show up as needing to be checked.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I just checked the serial number on mine and it's one of the potentials. Then I remembered that my good micrometer did depth. It measured .040". By coincidence, I was just rereading a bunch of the Appleseed comments on various forums and wondering if/when/how this issue would eventually play out.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posting Dzozer!

I don't have one but some friends do, sent them the info.
Super easy to check with the tool S&W will send them for free.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. The tool is on the way.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The gauge came today, mine is compliant. It took 8 day from the time I ordered it to arrive. Looking at my original paperwork, I bought this model in March 2010.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
The gauge came today, mine is compliant. It took 8 day from the time I ordered it to arrive. Looking at my original paperwork, I bought this model in March 2010.

I ordered my gauge about 4 days ago. I actually used mine at an Appleseed training event right after I bought it without any problems.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I'm also waiting for the gauge to arrive. I've had my 15-22 since they released I think around 2009, and have thousands if not 10's of thousands of rounds thru it. Within the first month or so of ownership my extractor blew off. Initially I blamed the ammo, but several months or years later I think S&W admitted there was an issue with the design.

They fixed it promptly at the time and even included 2 free 25rd mags. Never an issue since. I'm guessing mine will be fine once the gauge arrives, but I have several friends that have purchased the gun after shooting mine that I will be checking.

Its still one of my favorite guns

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Their recall notice web page sucks. It says, on the one hand: "ALL models of M&P15-22 rifles and pistols manufactured before February 1, 2019." Then it turns around and says, elsewhere: "If you encounter an M&P15-22 with no box and want to know whether the firearm requires bolt inspection - go toMP15-22SafetyAlert.comand use the Serial NumberLookup that is present." I do that and get back "The serial number that you entered is not valid for this Consumer Safety Alert"

FWIW: It looks like if you have a 7-character serial number, you might not be affected. I reached that conclusion based on the fact that my 7-character serial number came up with the response it did and that the M&P 15-22 Bolt Inspection Gauge order form requires an 8-character serial number.

I guess I'll call them and (probably) sit on hold.

Thanks for the heads up, Dzozer!

ETA: Confirmed via phone call. Agent: "Yes, the ones we're looking for have 8-character serial numbers."

(Remarkably short hold time, I might add. Which is a good thing, as I got dumped twice before I could ask the question.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the headsup. Mine showed as a recall, 7 digit serial number, I'll be contacting them.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIGforum comes to the rescue again (Kidde fire extinguishers, Walther PPS M2, ...).

Received my inspection gauge, confirmed that my 15-22 was within spec (flush with the gauge).

Thanks, Dzozer.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post