SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 22LR Value and should I buy this one
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 22LR Value and should I buy this one Login/Join 
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the advice on pricing and what to pay. Yes I think 300.00 is too much. My limit is 250.00 and if I can't buy it for that, I will keep looking.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to admit it, the 10/22 is a better gun than the Model 60 in just about every way. The beauty of the Marlin has always been that they were cheap.

I’ll take any Marlin .22 over my 10/22.

I like Marlin .22s. A Glenfield was my first gun. I can’t really pass up a Marlin with a Squirrel on it.
I have quite a few.

I’d give $250 for that model there.

I was not familiar with Ruger buying Marlin. I have been waiting to buy 3 Model 60s for my boys. So they could have the same first gun as me.
Guess I’ll have to start looking for used ones.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
A Marlin 60 was my first GB transfer. I see another 1994 NRA edition right now on GB at $230. Good luck.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
The next few days will be telling. I hope that 250.00 will buy it! That is the limit I have set and it looks to be a nice gun without a lot of rounds through it.

But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
This is my "doesn't exist from the factory" Model 60.

Barreled action originally had a beech stock. Someone was selling the pepper laminate stock (from a stainless model) and I thought I'd like the look.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Blackmore that is a really good looking Marlin. Well done! That Marlin is really nice. It's been a little over a year since I have purchased anything and well now, I am going to buy a couple more guns while I am at this. The lever 22s are what seem to be stupid money or at least the Winchesters are. The Marlin is not nearly as much but I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to nostalgia. I am keeping my eye out for a stainless Marlin but for now my focus is on this one and I keep talking myself in to paying just a little more lol.

― Marcus Aurelius

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Were it me and I didn't already own a Marlin 39A, I'd skip the 60 and purchase that model instead.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The exact model rifle sold locally last week on FSN for $250.00

It started at $350.00

“Mint shape stainless Marlin Model 60 .22 LR. Made in North Haven, CT. NRA commemorative edition, has 22" bbl with 15 round mag capacity. $350”

Posts: 456 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Were it me and I didn't already own a Marlin 39A, I'd skip the 60 and purchase that model instead.

I agree 100%

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
So I ended up paying 260.00 for the 60W and yes I am looking for a 39A. I have to go out of town tomorrow for 5 days otherwise I would have bid on a 39A that was rough looking but ok. I just could not get down to southern Indiana when I am headed to Detroit in the morning so I will keep looking. I am picking the gun up on my way to Michigan in the morning so I am anxious to get it.

― Marcus Aurelius

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Hope it runs as well as my 60W does.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good score! I hope it works well for you, as I imagine it should. If it needs tweaking let me know...I've gained some experience in the past couple of weeks from working on my model 70!

If you get a chance to pick up a 39a, jump on it! They have gotten stupid expensive, but they are awesome rifles. I found a well-used example at my LGS a year or so ago for $400, and felt like I'd won the lottery. I had to fabricate some parts and tweak a few things to get it running, but it's perfect now, and my favorite .22 long gun.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
92 I will do just that! I have a really busy work schedule as I travel the Midwest for work for Nissan. I will have a chance to take a close look at it this weekend and will go from there. I will keep an eye out for a 39 and see what I can find.Thanks very much for your offer to help. It is much appreciated!

― Marcus Aurelius