SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Input for pellet rifle for 30+ yard shots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Input for pellet rifle for 30+ yard shots Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
Looks like rats have decided to inhabit the runoff located at the bottom of our property. I used to own a Gamo rifle with their scope but really did not like the factory scope. I am looking for input on a pellet rifle capable of accuracy out to 50+ yards and a good scope. I can get a good shot but because the way out property is laid out, I will have to take the shots from 30 plus yards away.
Thanks in advance.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have had a Gamo Big Cat for a few years. Yep, the scope it came with is crap. I put a walmart Bushnell on it for about $60 and I can make 50+ yard tree rat head shots all day long. It is loud as heck though. Supposedly they make quieter ones now

I see the Gamo rifles all the time in the pawn shops

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Was thinking about the better scope option. Might give that a try with the Gamo.

Thanks

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For longer shots, I like to drop down in caliber a bit. .20 has always felt good to me.

My favorite is a Beeman HW97k in .20. Underbarrel cocking. Put an excellent scope on with an AO and rated for air rifle recoil… takes some practice to shoot a spring air rifle well… they require their own technique.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -

Posts: 687 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just noticed this was in SIG pistols?

"Hope" is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -

Posts: 687 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be a pellet rifle? My bolt action 22 with subsonic CCI quiet 22 rounds is pretty darn stealthy.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
This past winter I bought 2 Weihrauch springer air rifles, an HW95L, HW50 both in .22 and a Beeman R7 in .177. All are topped with Hawke Airmax scopes. All 3 shoot very well. For your needs the HW95 or something like it would fit the bill. I also have a Hatsan 95 Vortex .22 topped with a UTG scope that would work well for those rats.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger from PyramydAir. They will set your air gun up with a scope and sight it in for you as a package deal. The Ruger would probably fit your needs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.
birddog1, I replied to your email.

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tulsamal:
For longer shots, I like to drop down in caliber a bit. .20 has always felt good to me.

My favorite is a Beeman HW97k in .20. Underbarrel cocking. Put an excellent scope on with an AO and rated for air rifle recoil… takes some practice to shoot a spring air rifle well… they require their own technique.

Another similar strategy is to use lighter pills. Better ammo selection in 22 for sure.

I love the 13gr JSB exacts for longer shots with my .22 pumper.

A well kept secret is that the SWFA SS 6x is a GREAT scope for springers, but it is huge, expensive, and unobtanium right now.

I would get an HW 80 or R1 in 22 and put a nice scope on it. Nothing Chinese, get something made in Taiwan or the Phillipines at least.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Does it have to be a pellet rifle? My bolt action 22 with subsonic CCI quiet 22 rounds is pretty darn stealthy.

I was wondering the same thing. A bolt or levergun with subsonic .22s, shorts, CB caps, etc., is quieter than piston air rifles, at least the ones I've seen.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post