SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benelli M4...any cons?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benelli M4...any cons? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’ve had mine for 7/8 years. Never had an issue and it shoots it all. I also own an m2 SBS but it mostly hangs out.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
had mine since '07. baddest shotgun on the planet, fits me like a glove and eats everything I feed her. its an 11707 w/chokes, adjustable stock and full length factory tube.

get one, you wont be sorry.

did I mention its a coyote slayer?

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Mine is all tricked out. Mesa tactical stock, surefire rail, and I have Crimson Trace’s laser/light foregrip on it. 7 round Ti tube, so 7+1+1. Then I have a side saddle on the rail, and another on the Mesa tactical stock. It’s been my HD rig for many years. 21 shells of hell onboard for intruders. It also has the night sights, QD’s as a sling is absolutely necessary. It’s definitely an Arnold weapon. I have been thinking of selling to fund some new purchases.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
21 shells of hell onboard for intruders.

That sounds really heavy. What does it weigh with all that stuff on it?

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own two HK M1s (old) and two M4. The M2 is basically an M1 with more plastic, less metal. The barrels interchange.

The M4 was built to the specs of the USMC. The big difference is that is it gas operated, not inertia. Which means you can mount all your ninja toys on it and it'll keep working. You can fire it without a good shoulder mount and it cycle. It recoils much less. It is based on Benelli's ARGO gas system, also used on a variety of heavy rifles.

I love my M1 and they are now mostly used with a rifled barrel and slugs. I love my M4s much more. They will cycle anything other than the mini shells.

The M4 is the very best fighting shotgun in the world. There are no cons.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I want to like my factory M4 SBS a lot. I'm forcing myself to because I paid the stamp and have it. It shoots full power buck and all slugs plenty fine. It won't run a tube of reduced recoil buck, much less the other low power stuff at all.

I'd trade for my 90's era M1 if I could. That said, I still like it......kinda....

Funny how the grass always seems greener on the other side. I have a factory m1 sbs and have thought about selling it or doing something with it to fund a m4 sbs. Still no idea what I'd with it since the m1 barely gets touched except for up at camp to keep loaded as a truck gun.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
It won't run a tube of reduced recoil buck, much less the other low power stuff at all.

Interesting, I suppose you could try a Roth reduced power recoil spring. I have one in my match gun, but really only put it in because I needed a spring and it was the only one in stock anywhere.

That gun, with all it's added mass, has lived on a diet of countless thousands of cheap Wal-Mart bulk Federal ammo. I bought a case of low recoil slugs for one of my other M2's (not because they were low recoil, but because the price was right). They functioned fine, just hit about 8-10 inches low at 50 yards, which was as close as I wanted to use them, so I sold them off.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Weight is the only downside for me.

I have an M4 and my Son recently bought a Beretta 1301. No doubt the M4 is built heavier and would be my choice if long term durability was important. With that said, the 1301 is a fine shotgun and the average person would not come close to wearing it out. It's light, fast handling and reliable. It would be my goto shotgun for HD. If I could only own one, it would be the 1301.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Been using an old 870 police for the past 15+ years. Cost 150$ used and has never not worked. But I think it's time to upgrade.

You should get rid of that sorry old thing. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
21 shells of hell onboard for intruders.

That sounds really heavy. What does it weigh with all that stuff on it?

It sounds like you may need to do some push ups. Big Grin

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could get one like bolo4tom I would consider it. But all the ones I see are factory crippled with the short mag tube, fixed stock that is too long for me, or even worse an adjustable looking one that is pinned in place. Getting the parts and doing the upgrades just makes it more complicated and costly.

So I have a 1301 that with the Nordic +2 extension that is waiting for Aridus SGA and Zhukov adapters to get back in stock. Nice thing about the 1301 is the recoil spring is around the mag tube and nothing extends into the stock like on many other semi-autos.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Yeah, maybe. Big Grin

I’ve done that same thing with an 870 and at some point, it just gets to be too unwieldy. I’m kinda going to other direction now, trying to keep it as light and handy as I can. It’s a delicate balance with a shotgun, enough ammo vs too heavy, that’s for sure. Benelli M1 with six loads of 00 here, and that may get tweaked.

But seriously, what’s it weigh? Big Grin

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My brother has one and really likes it. However, I wouldn't trade him for my Versa Max Tactical. When Remington is up to speed with production, I want the V3 Tactical with the 18" barrel too.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I think they are very good, especially if the price doesn’t bother you. I was fortunate to get one of the LE versions that came with the extension to get the full 7 rounds in the mag and functional collapsing stock. That said, I like my Beretta 1301 tactical a little better.

BTW, there are several M4 clones, some of which have actual part interchangeability. The reports are favorable; I have no experience. I do understand the Beretta alternative and given it’s the same company, I have questions.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having last shot a M4 (standard stock, which I prefer over the pistol grip) and 1301 side by side, I was wowed by both. Both shot extremely well with very manageable recoil. I went into this with a Benelli bias (I have a 3-gun Vinci). But after that day, even if I were to ignore price--which realistically I can't--I'd choose the Beretta. Its overall is physically smaller at the same barrel length by about 2", but it's more than just that alone. To me it feels like a much more compact gun than just that 2" difference would suggest. The ease of maneuvering with it over how I did with the M4 was an eye-opener. I tend to think that the Benny Lee will handle punishment and harsh treatment better than the 1301 because it just feels like a more stout and robust build, but I like the neutral balance of the Beretta over the front-bias of the M4 and its "smallness" feel just fits me and my frame size much better. YMMV.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
M4 on sale at Palmetto State this week:
https://palmettostatearmory.co...synthetic-11707.html

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I guess.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Yeah, maybe. Big Grin

I’ve done that same thing with an 870 and at some point, it just gets to be too unwieldy. I’m kinda going to other direction now, trying to keep it as light and handy as I can. It’s a delicate balance with a shotgun, enough ammo vs too heavy, that’s for sure. Benelli M1 with six loads of 00 here, and that may get tweaked.

But seriously, what’s it weigh? Big Grin

It’s irrelevant to me. It is on the heavy side but you have to be realistic. It’s my HD long gun, and as I mentioned the first time, has a two point sling with QD’s. It’s not like I’m taking hikes with it on my back. It’s for HD and I’m not in a McMansion. Just your normal modest house. I like that I don’t need anything else to carry spare shells. 12 extra 00 right there to slide into the tube. Once I get a 9mm can specifically for my Scorpion I may sell it if I can part with it as I much prefer the Vepr12. It’s worth a lot and I’d like a Galil Ace pistol in 762X39. And maybe a Rhino 4”. We will see. For now it’s ready to go in the safe about 12 feet from me with a nightstand pistol with 22 rounds onboard. I lift regularly so the M4 isn’t that big of a deal with the sling at all. But a can is going to be much easier for my hearing and the k9’s hearing should it ever be needed. I love the Scorpion more.

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
the Vepr 12 is a whole different animal from the Benelli. its built like a tank and bout as heavy as one too. I have the Vepr 12 SBS folder and its a blast to shoot, pun intended, but I wouldn't trade my M4 for one. just get both!

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
just a heads up if anyone is looking. guy ive dealt with before over on the Benelli forum has an M4 18nch bbl for sale. its an IC with 50 rnds thru it, for $560 shipped.