SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CZ 557 vs Bergara
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 557 vs Bergara Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Looking to add a bolt action hunting rifle to the mix.

I'll likely never shoot past 400 yards or so, have narrowed the round to 30-06 and 308.

Anyone have experience with the CZ 557 American or similar? I'm also seeing very good reviews on Bergara B14 rifles.

Only thing I wish they had was a threaded barrel for a muzzle break. Most threaded barrels I see are on non "hunting" rounds. I guess I could always have it threaded at some point down the road.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Largest game ever taken will Likely be elk.

ETA: I know very little of ballistics and all that jazz, and given that I grew up in Florida, where deer routinely stay below 100 lbs, you can kill damn near anything in Florida with .223. So I'm open to being educated.

It's my understanding 30-06 and 308 are nearly identical but due to the larger case, it's possible to get 30-06 to shoot flatter at greater distances, carrying more energy. I'd imagine both rounds will be around for the next 1000 years so all things being equal, it's kind of just a pick what you want situation yeah?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6236 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with either, I usually lean 308 of the two.

I’d start with realistic hunting expectations & conditions. As an example, one guy sits in a shooting tower in SC covering the bean field, the next is still hunting in a WI cedar swamp. The 24” barreled rife with a higher powered scope isn’t the best choice for 40 yard shots in tight cover.

My CZ rifle in 6.5 Swede has a shorter barrel, 21” or so, nice gun. Some of my favorite guns are lighter, compact, with a 20” barrel, for hunting.

As far as Bergara rifles themselves, don’t know. For hunting applications I’m thinking one could be set up just fine.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a wizard, but at this point in cartridge evolution I can't imagine anyone picking 30-06 over .308 for a new gun. The CZ I have experience and its positive, the Bergara I have no idea but I don't see lots of negatives online.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are not a wizard for sure. 308/30-06/300wm is all about distance.

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of CZ firearms, and looked hard at the 527. Reading up on them, I learned that the bolt knob shape/bend tends to come very close to the scope, resulting in busted knuckles- or it forces you to use high rings to mount your scope. I ended up buying a Tikka T3X and really love it. Much better aftermarket support for the Tikka. Not so much for the CZ.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are not a wizard for sure. 308/30-06/300wm is all about distance.

Ok the nonwizard is pretty familiar with .300wm, but the OP didn't ask about that. So exactly what advantage do you think 30-06 has over modern .308 rounds at less than 400y for HUNTING. And counter the obvious downsides of barrel life, long action, ammo availability etc. etc. I'll wait.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrcjon,

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post