SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ok, I want a lever gun... Some questions inside.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok, I want a lever gun... Some questions inside. Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

At first glance I thought, "hmm, how does it shoot all of those calibers?".

(shakes head at self, gets cup of coffee)

Nice comparison shot. Cool lever gun... That loop shape and size is my alltime favorite so far. The Marlin 30-30 I grew up with always felt too small and cramped, and I grew up watching the Rifleman anyway so my loop bias leans big. I think these newer loops hit the sweet spot of funcion and a stylistic nod without being silly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Winchester Model 94AE (angle eject) a few months ago in .38/.357. It was the trapper model, made sometime in the 90's. I've had more fun with that little gun than you can imagine. Pretty darn accurate, easy on the shoulder and if you reload, petty easy on the wallet.

I will tell you this...they are getting difficult to find and if you do find one...buy it. They don't hang around long on the shelf.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Marlin 336 that I would use for hunting or for the range day. I have a nice Winchester/Miruko 1873 in 357 that is fun to shoot. It’s the one I would hang over the fireplace if my wife would let me. But the one I find myself shooting the most is a Rossi 92 in 357/38. It’s handy, lightweight, and mine was smooth and reliable right out of the box.

If it’s a range gun only, I would try the Rossi. Probably the cheapest option and if you like it, then you can try something else.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took the plunge. Henry brass 45-70. Now thinking about sights or optics. Thanks to all of you for great info and insights.

9222C2DF-E3B0-448B-B5BF-C9784C1CF7B1 by Edwin Young, on Flickr

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I know the OP is not looking for a 22LR, but for the rest, if you ever see a Marlin 39a on a rack, get it while the getting is good. They've become unicorns. Like the Savage 99, the cost of production for the 39a is just too high by modern standards, so IMO you'll never see them new again. Prices will just keep climbing.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I know the OP is not looking for a 22LR, but for the rest, if you ever see a Marlin 39a on a rack, get it while the getting is good. They've become unicorns. Like the Savage 99, the cost of production for the 39a is just too high by modern standards, so IMO you'll never see them new again. Prices will just keep climbing.

Agreed. I had been looking for one for years at a reasonable price, when one day I walked into the LGS and there was a kinda ugly, well-worn copy on the shelf. When I saw he was only asking $400, I refused to set it back on the rack for fear someone would swoop in and buy it out from under me. It came home, I cleaned it up a bit and fixed a few things, and it's now one of the last rifles I'd ever sell. I'm still on the hunt for an affordable 39M, but that 39A is just a magnificent piece of workmanship. Accurate, fun to shoot, and just exudes quality every time you work the lever.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Hey Kevin, Look around for Marlin Cowboy’s. They are made in two version’s, standard and limited. The limited versions have checkered stocks. The barrels are mostly 34” and all are octagon.

I have both both versions in .22, .38/357, 44spl/44mag, .45LC, .38-55, and .45-70. My favorite and hardest to find was the .38-55 (basically a .30-30 necked up to a .38 cal bullet).

I have several old Winchester’s, but they don’t get shot much if at all anymore (73’s, 92’s, 94’s, and 95’s). The values on these have gone through the roof!

Uberti’s, sold under many import companies are nice as well.

Have fun!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
The barrels are mostly 34” and all are octagon.

I think the .45-70s had 26" barrels, and the pistol calibers had 20" barrels in the cowboy models. My .357 1894 Cowboy has a 20" barrel.

I'm not sure about the other rounds, and I can't find one online to check.

34" would be silly long. I think this is probably a typo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
The barrels are mostly 34” and all are octagon.

I think the .45-70s had 26" barrels, and the pistol calibers had 20" barrels in the cowboy models. My .357 1894 Cowboy has a 20" barrel.

I'm not sure about the other rounds, and I can't find one online to check.

34" would be silly long. I think this is probably a typo.

Yep, finger check on my part. Went and measured all of them to verify. All the pistol calibers as well as the .38-55 are 24”, the 1895 cowboy (.45-70) is 26”.

With the Winchesters you could order up to 34”. I’ve seen one. Very nose heavy. I have one with a 30” barrel. Also nose heavy.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I would seek a stainless Marlin GBL in 45-70. I would determine if I preferred pistol grip or straight grip at a LGS. At the Marlin forum, you will likely find used JM Marlins for sale. There are also examples of modified Marlins, and many useful accessories and modifications. A true Marlin is best, but it is possible to find late model good stuff as others have noted. Mine was a transition with Marlin marked parts assembled by Remington, and it was just fine.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have been following this thread. I have a chance to buy 2 JM Marlins one is a 336CS in 30-30 and a 1895 45/70 but the prices on Marlins have really climbed over the last couple of years. The price the guy is asking is causing me to pause.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester/Miroku 1886 .45-70 with a 26" octagon barrel and a Uberti 1873 with a 24" octagon barrel in .45 Colt. Both are a bit nose-heavy, but some people like that. I'm still deciding. I may at some point pick up a 20" round barrel 1873 or Marlin. I had a Henry 20" octagon barrelled .44Mag a few years ago, and it was just plain heavy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Expert308,

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
There's this in the Classifieds:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/9570052884

Might not be what the OP wants but other posters here might be interested. It's not mine nor do I know the seller.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

Any other brands to consider? What's the best bang for the buck?

Ruger just recently announced a stainless Marlin 1895 in 45/70.
I have no experience with them but it looks well built.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/model_1895sbl/

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for a lever gun (mainly for pig hunting), I was considering a 45-70. An elderly gent at the LGS asked if I was sure and if I reloaded. I inquired the reason for the question and he pulled a round out of his pocket (did I mention, he was elderly? lol)

Once I realized that round was larger than my pinky, I settled on a .44 mag (I also wasn't reloading back then).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
When I was looking for a lever gun (mainly for pig hunting), I was considering a 45-70. An elderly gent at the LGS asked if I was sure and if I reloaded. I inquired the reason for the question and he pulled a round out of his pocket (did I mention, he was elderly? lol)

Once I realized that round was larger than my pinky, I settled on a .44 mag (I also wasn't reloading back then).

.22LR, 9mm, .38spl, .45-70 Gov (X2)

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at my FFL dealers house. Bought my son a Glock 19 for a Christmas
present. Looked up at the and saw a lever action rifle. I said is that a
Marlin 39A, Yep, Looked at it for about ten seconds and said I need to
write you another check. Smile

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I bought 2 70's Marlins that are unfired. A 45/70 and a 30/30.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
A few years back I had the same desire to buy a lever gun. I wanted one that would shoot 357/38special. I also wanted one that looked great as I would look at it way more than shoot it.
I was stunned to see what the prices were.
I finally decided to blow my budget and get a great looking rifle. I choose a Winchester 1873 made in Japan by Miroku. It has grade V+ black walnut stocks,Case hardened steel, and an octagon 24" barrel it is sold as a Shot Show special.Great shooter besides a great looker.

I then wanted a 45/70. I chose a Browning 1886 labeled "High Grade". Gorgeous walnut stock,engraved receiver with a gold Grizzly on one side and Elk/Deer on the other. It has a 26" octagon barrel and is engraved as 1-3000. I have not yet shot it but will remedy that this spring.It is also made by Miroku in Japan.
Both rifles made by Miroku are flawless in fit and finish. The actions are smooth as silk.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a suppressed Marlin 1894 CST in .357mag/.38spl that I really enjoy. It's usually my go-to fun gun when I have a new shooter or someone with a smaller frame. With .38spl it's an absolute kitten to shoot. Like most of my guns, it's been tarted up a bit:

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post