SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do I need to make a 1000yd rifle shot?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to make a 1000yd rifle shot? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I don’t watch much tv but the other day I came across the old show Top Shot. I watched it back when it was new and figured it would be entertaining since it had been years since I first watched it. In season 2 they have the contestants taking 1000 yard shots with a Barrett .50 cal. I was talking to a coworker about it and thought it would be cool to make a 1000yd shot. I’m mainly a pistol shooter and occasionally shoot 100 and 200 yards with an AR15. For someone like me:

How difficult would it be to hit that shot?
What caliber bullet would you use?
What is a mid-priced rifle that is capable of that?
What kind of scope would be best?
And any other things I’m not thinking of?

I don’t know if I’ll do it but I keep thinking it would be really cool to do….if I can find a place to shoot that far.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some people could probably write a book in an attempt to address all the variables in the question.

First, though, what size target? If it’s fairly large, for example 2 × 4 feet, that would obviously be much easier to hit someplace than if it’s a 10-inch circle.

Another question to consider is how consistently do you want to hit the target? If you’d be happy with a couple of hits out of 10 shots, that’s much, much different than 10 hits for 10 shots.

The short answer is that sometimes hitting a largish easy-to-see target at 1000 yards under good conditions (e.g., no wind) after one was able to adjust for any misses can be accomplished with countless rifles, scopes, and cartridges. Depending upon the scope, you could no doubt do that with your AR—at least sometimes.

Things quickly become more complicated, though, if we want to minimize misses in variable wind conditions with a small, hard-to-see target and we’re doing something like shooting at a 600 yard target and then need to move quickly and accurately to 1000 yards by using a dope table to tell us how much to change the scope setting(s).

I know all that’s probably not much help by itself, but it does raise a few basic questions about your goal.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I went to a match with NikonUser, he let me take a few shots with his F-Class rifle, 6 shots & he had me in the x-ring.

IIRC it was a 32" barrel 308Win but I don’t recall much after that.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a novice long range shooter and find it not terribly difficult to make hits out to 1270 yds with a 6.5 creedmoor MPA PMR with NF ATACR 7-35.

A capable rifle in a wind resistant caliber, match ammo, quality optic, quality bags, and a spotter to help make calls and corrections.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2325 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
A golf cart with about 950 yards of driving range………ohh you were talking about you not me. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

How difficult would it be to hit that shot?

Depends entirely upon wind and the size of the target.

What caliber bullet would you use?

An efficient 6mm or 6.5mm cartridge.

6MM GT or 6.5 Creedmoor would work.

What is a mid-priced rifle that is capable of that?

Any halfway decent chassis gun will get you there. Accuracy costs and with diminishing returns. I will let other opine on brands/makers as others know more than me.

What kind of scope would be best?

mil reticle scope with matching mil turrets and a reticle that allows you hold for wind an elevation. the reticle isn't just for holding, its for having a reference point to spot your misses and adjust accordingly.

Good glass and more importantly, reliable tracking.

And any other things I’m not thinking of?

Good ammo.

Good data on your ammo (MV, BC, ambient temp, etc). A ballistics solver. Strelok is ok for quick and dirty solutions. Applied Ballistics in a Kestrel is better.

Bipod, rear bag.

I don’t know if I’ll do it but I keep thinking it would be really cool to do….if I can find a place to shoot that far.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Some people wrap some paper around some lead, and cram it down on a case full of black powder. Wink

Where I am, for me to make a 1000 yard shot, I'd need about 700 more yards. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The question is how often you want to -- and are logistically capable of -- shoot at 1000 yards. If you just want to tag a target and go back to pistol shooting, then borrow or rent a rifle capable of 1000 yards. Get a competent buddy to help with the process.

Many rifles are capable of 1000 yard hits. Repeatable and accurate results increase the stakes, and reduce the options.

Ixnay a 50-cal. The bullet will get there with lots of energy, but with a heavy pounding on you. A number of people will poo-poo the effects of recoil on the shooter -- they are generally the shooters who really don't know crap about precision long-distance shooting. And haven't developed the skills to do so, either.

223 Remy isn't the caliber for 1000 yards. 224 Valkyrie will do it. So will 22 Creedmoor.

I recommend something with a 6mm or 6.5mm bore. A number of chamberings exist that will work. No need for a magnum. 7mm magnums work. 30-cal is fine. 308 Win will get there, but you need high-ish muzzle velocity and a good bullet. A 30-cal magnum is a better at making it to 1000 yards, but with noticeably more recoil.

Quality optics are pretty much mandatory for repeatable results. For many shooters with reasonably sized targets, 20x or 25x magnification is fine. Both mil and MOA systems work. The reticle is important.

Ammo is critical. Muzzle velocity must be consistent for consistent flight to 1000 yards. The bullet must have a high ballistic coefficient to fly well to 1000 yards. Bullet speed should be at least Mach 1.2 at the target for repeatable accuracy.

Shoot someone else's gun before you buy your own. You may not like the long distance game.

Try your AR15 at 500-600 yards to get an idea of long distance shooting.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows you can only get that distance by using the 6.1”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
fritz, you mentioned 224 Valkyrie; what is your opinion of that vs. 6 mm ARC, which will also work in an AR-15 platform?

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not shot either cartridge, but know folks who have shot both.

I sat next to John Paul (JP Enterprises) during a casual dinner at a Team Safari match. The 224 Valkyrie cartridge had just been introduced, and a JP team shot AR15s chambered in 224 Valkyrie. The JP team did well at the match. Frank Galli has done some great shooting with 224 Valkyrie, but mainly via a bolt action rifle.

John Paul worked with Federal to develop ammo for the Valkyrie. In John's opinion, the Valkyrie would have been better with bullets in the 73-80 grain ballpark, rather then the 85-90 grain ballpark. He said the 88-90 grain .223 bullets are pretty finicky -- they require a very fast twist and may not shoot well in some barrels.

Case capacity of both cartridges is about the same. Both bullets are heavy for the powder charge. The slightly larger bore of the 6mm ARC is better suited for a heavy bullet. 6mm cartridges of many sizes shoot the 105-107 grain bullets quite well. If the ARC wasn't introduced during COVID, it likely would have a pretty respectable following now.

Bottom line -- if I were to rechamber one of my AR15s from 223 Remy, I would go with 6mm ARC over 223 Valkyrie.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you understand and apply the ballistic data associated with the given cartridge, it is not all that difficult really.
Knowing proper sight or scope settings ( I did my 1000 yard matches with a metallic sight rifle) needed to hit at that distance
A solid shooting position
A proper wind call and appropriate sight adjustment or hold over
Then solid shooting fundamentals trigger and breath control

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I've not shot either cartridge, but know folks who have shot both.

I sat next to John Paul (JP Enterprises) during a casual dinner at a Team Safari match. The 224 Valkyrie cartridge had just been introduced, and a JP team shot AR15s chambered in 224 Valkyrie. The JP team did well at the match. Frank Galli has done some great shooting with 224 Valkyrie, but mainly via a bolt action rifle.

John Paul worked with Federal to develop ammo for the Valkyrie. In John's opinion, the Valkyrie would have been better with bullets in the 73-80 grain ballpark, rather then the 85-90 grain ballpark. He said the 88-90 grain .223 bullets are pretty finicky -- they require a very fast twist and may not shoot well in some barrels.

Case capacity of both cartridges is about the same. Both bullets are heavy for the powder charge. The slightly larger bore of the 6mm ARC is better suited for a heavy bullet. 6mm cartridges of many sizes shoot the 105-107 grain bullets quite well. If the ARC wasn't introduced during COVID, it likely would have a pretty respectable following now.

Bottom line -- if I were to rechamber one of my AR15s from 223 Remy, I would go with 6mm ARC over 223 Valkyrie.

I have a Bartlein ARC barrel being spun up by Compass Lake.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
We have done the 1000 yard range with a Barrett M82A1. This was quite a few years ago now. North Coast Shooters assoc. was arranging shoots all over, for 50cal, and we were lucky enough to be able to go the the one held at Fort Knox, KY. You can hit the target at that distance, it’s challenging, but very possible.
It was a lot of fun. Had a decent scope, it was a Leupold. Some others used NightForce I think I remember. We shot from a prone position, and did our best to get the smallest group.
It is hard to get a small group, what with wind, sighting, trigger control, etc. The guy who won it, managed to get a group inside the size of a dollar bill.
Lot of bolt action 50’s there, don’t remember how many semis were there. We just wanted to have some fun, and get to do that distance for the experience.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post