SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The CZ Scorpion EVO 3 and 3+ in 2024. Post yours!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The CZ Scorpion EVO 3 and 3+ in 2024. Post yours! Login/Join 
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Love my Scorpions but upset at CZ for the new versions being NOT backwards compatible for taking the original magazines. Confused

Posts: 2193 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
This is my Scorpion 3+, purchased late last year. It is my sole PCC for Steel Challenge matches this year (two per month). Have changed the optic to a Holosun 507 Comp and added a Timney trigger pack to it.
Recorded my first 1.00-second run with it last month (5 shots on 3 targets).
Really liking this carbine.

Nice!! Is that the carbine with the faux suppressor? Or is it an SBR with a carbine handguard and a nested suppressor? I was under the impression they didn't allow suppressed weapons in steel challenge. If I'm wrong about that, it's motivation to get off my butt and finally get to a match.

What version of the Timney do you have? Everyone on Reddit says to just go ahead and get the V2. The HBI trigger shoe and springs were a massive improvement, but I am curious about the Timney.

quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:
Love my Scorpions but upset at CZ for the new versions being NOT backwards compatible for taking the original magazines. Confused

Yeah, a byproduct of their updated magazine catch. The lower of the 3+ is like a miniature Bren 2. The good news is, if you're handy, you can modify your existing EVO magazines to work in a 3+, or 3+ magazines to work in an EVO by shaving down the extra rimmed pocket on the left side of the magazine. All is not lost. Smile

My new handguard should be here in a few hours. I used Vibratite Hot Lock on the barrel nut, so... that should be entertaining to remove. Not looking forward to that. Going to hose it down with PB Blaster and then boil it, I'm not taking any chances. Razz

*Edit - Squirted a tiny bit of PB Blaster onto the threads around the barrel nut, and stood the gun upright to let it work down into the Hot Lock. Let it sit for an hour. Put a pipe wrench on it just to see, and it came off easily. I used plenty of Hot Lock (Read: Vibratite's version of Rocksett). No boiling, no torching required. I highly recommend if you guys need to remove a silica-based thread locker.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Smudge-
Yep, it’s the faux suppressor model. I bought it when PSA was moving them at $749 with a rebate. I like to use the faux suppressor as a grip extension, lol.
The Timney trigger is the V2 (newest one). Pricy, but oh so worth it compared to the not-good factory setup. Only took one match to realize the trigger is holding the carbine back from being really great. I expect it to get even better with a few thousand rounds down range.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smudge-
Yep, it’s the faux suppressor model. I bought it when PSA was moving them at $749 with a rebate.

That's a good deal! If you ever decide to pull the faux can, you already have the perfect config for a nested setup.

quote:
I like to use the faux suppressor as a grip extension, lol.

Lol! Does it get hot? I've never seen one of those in person, I'll bet the faux can works like a big heat sink.

quote:
The Timney trigger is the V2 (newest one). Pricy, but oh so worth it compared to the not-good factory setup. Only took one match to realize the trigger is holding the carbine back from being really great. I expect it to get even better with a few thousand rounds down range.

Yeah, I hear great things about that trigger. I'm pretty happy with the HBI stuff so far. It was a massive improvement and really highlighted how shitty the stock trigger is.

Installed the HBI handguard and the Ascalon Arms 125% recoil spring. All-in-all, easy changes. It recoils a fair bit smoother now. Shot it today, both with 115gr and 147gr and it was a lot less bouncy, didn't kick me as hard as it did before, so I'd say it's a worthwhile change for $20. When I reinstalled the suppressor, I was concerned about no barrel nut to seat it up against since it's just bare threads now what with it free floating, so I put about six or seven wraps of yellow plumber's tape on the threads before I threaded the can back on. If and when I decide to pull the can again, I'm using a strap wrench, because that sucker isn't moving. Big Grin

I've decided I don't really care for the Zhukov and I think I'm going to try a different stock. It's beefy and locks up solid, but the extendable portion has play in it, and if I run it out past the fully collapsed position, it wobbles. Not a fan of that. For a stock I use in exactly one position, I could trim some weight and bulk. Probably gonna try the B&T stock on the Scorpion adapter next. I've also decided I don't like either the stock safety on the left, or the wonky AK style safety the previous owner installed on the right side, so I'm going to try something else. Not sure what yet, but the nice thing is, I have options.

May eventually do a short barrel and go nested, but that's... way down the road at this point. I don't think I'll ever want to shoot it unsuppressed again, so I could even go with a 3.5" barrel and just leave the handguard as-is with the same can and end up at a pretty compact size, folded up.

Posts: 17704 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
I saw a 2016 ("16" on bolt) Evo 3 S1 carbine with full length barrel at a LGS over the weekend. It had factory digital camo furniture. Couldn't find any reference to this set up online. Any Scorpion experts with any insights? Thanks.

If it's that old Im sure it was done by someone. They've never done anything digi to my knowledge. Just FDE and a couple other solid colors

Finally went and bought it for a fair price.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3645 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Finally went and bought it for a fair price.

Hey, nice! Yeah, that one looks like it's been worked over. Had a chance to shoot it yet? If you need magazines, I highly recommend the Pmags. Supposedly the Palmetto mags are also really good. I need order some of them. Surprisingly, the ETS 40rd mags are also supposed to be good to go. I want to try a few of those also.