SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Why different buffer tubes on AR15s? This has always perplexed me.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why different buffer tubes on AR15s? This has always perplexed me. Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So why did a commercial / milspec buffer tube ever come to be? Why not just stick with one or the other? Always seemed odd to me for such a benign part to have such differences instead of a simple common part.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good question that I’d be interested in seeing the (knowledgeable) answer to, but I would bet it dates back to when a “civilian” company started making them and it was before everyone and his dog owned or was making ARs.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I always heard that the commercial tubes were cheaper to manufacture, less steps machining or something.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the tube is oversized so they could cheaply cut the threads into it.

Posts: 9980 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
My understanding is that the tube is oversized so they could cheaply cut the threads into it.

This.

Both tubes have the same diameter at the threaded portion.

On a commercial tube the tube body is the same diameter as the threaded portion. On a mil-spec sized tube, the tube body is smaller in diameter than the threaded portion.

Real mil-spec tubes are made from 7075 forged aluminum. Though some mil-spec sized tubes are made from 6061 aluminum. Armalite made ARs with mil-spec sized tubes but out of cheaper extruded 6061 aluminum. Not sure if they still do. But they did.

Most, if not all, commercial sized tubes are made from extruded 6061 aluminum.

Some people say a true mil-spec tube is stronger than a commercial sized tube. Maybe it is, but I'm not sure it is. A commercial sized tube has a greater outside diameter than a mil-spec tube, while having the same inside diameter. So commercial sized tubes have thicker walls. I've seen both beat up and butt slammed to dislodge a stuck bolt and both held up.

7075 forged mil-spec tubes are probably stronger than mil-spec-sized tubes made of 6061 extruded aluminum, since they both have the same dimensions.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
From what I remember the commercial tubes came from the 1980s aftermarket scene. Back then there was only a few players that sold their aftermarket AR parts in Shotgun News fairly cheap. Keep in mind you could buy a new Colt AR for around $425 in the mid 1980s, if I remember right.

Since the alloy 7075 is in the unweldable category or not recommended how would you do the plug on the end of a buffer tube for cheap? Their answer seemed to be.. go to cheaper and about 65 percent weaker alloy 6061 and weld the plug in. Impact extrusion (big dollar machines) was only something the little guys could only dream about back in those days.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Because:

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post