SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Making the .410 viable for defensive use- Remington Ultimate Defense buckshot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making the .410 viable for defensive use- Remington Ultimate Defense buckshot Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I wonder how the recoil would be from a S&W Governor,seriously, but I can only imagine.

I've shot .410s in a Governor and it's not bad at all.

I've also shot them in a Bond Arms derringer and that's really not as bad as you might think. It was light enough that everybody in my weekly shooting group tried at least one, including women and a female R.O. and nobody complained about recoil.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sigfreund and Flash. I might have to pick some up.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing to take not of is how small that group was when it struck the gel. Buckshot loads tend to pattern to a diameter that is roughly 1/2 the pattern size for Bird Shot. So you are putting a lot of energy in to rather small area. Get good with a shotgun and a dead center shot at 15 feet is automatic even when the target is moving at 40 mph or more.

Also take note that these are 3 inch shells and many 410 shotguns will have 2 1/2 inch chambers. So before you plunk your money down on the counter that the time to actually look at the chamber length stamped on your barrel. Firing a 3 inch shell in a 2 1/2 inch chamber can lead to a burst chamber and that is something you do not want to experience.

Also take note of the barrel length for this video. Most Home Defense shotgun feature a 18.5 inch barrel so there is a reduction in velocity when compared to the 24 inch barrel in this video. It's a pure guess but I would expect to see velocity of 950-1000 fps. The powders used for the 410 tend to be a bit slower burning so barrel length does cause more variation in velocity.

BTW, I shoot 4 gun Skeet and 70% of my practice is with the 410 because it costs less to reload, the recoil won't build a flinch, and it's plain fun when you hit. My personal choice for a House Gun is a Remington 870 with an 18.5 inch barrel loaded with 5 rounds of #4 Buck. As much as I enjoy shooting the 410 when someone kicks in your door I go for the biggest baddest boom on hand.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did what I think made my Mossberg .410 better for home defense. I picked up a 18" barrel and sent it to R&D Custom Barrel Service and had screw in chokes installed. Now, I have cylinder, modified and full. The modified really improved the pattern of both 2.5" and 3" 000 buckshot. The cylinder works good with slugs. I am going to add a dot sight to it. I just have to get a mount made in my shop. It has worked out well.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Get good with a shotgun and a dead center shot at 15 feet is automatic even when the target is moving at 40 mph or more.

I also shoot skeet and this is absolutely true.

It's also the reason why I laugh when I see instructors advocating shooting on the move. Somehow they think that someone moving 2 or 3 miles per hour at 15 feet is hard to hit when in actuality there's only around 1 or 2 inches of lead at those distances and speeds which equates to no lead at all. Your front sight covers more than 1 or 2 inches at that range.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
A .410 slug has more energy than a 44 magnum handgun if my memory is correct.

People like to tout them as same as a .41 Mag, but they're more like .38 Special. Slugs in 410, both foster style and Brenneke are sub bore diameter and light for caliber (compared to a pistol bullets. For some reason 87 grains comes to mind for the Remington slug, but I'd have to find it to be sure)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good video.
Now I need to see those through a rifled barrel on a 4 ft. X 4 ft. Target
Please.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Well this thread certainly does not diminish my desire to own a Henry Axe.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"The Axe has the same 5-round capacity of 2 ½” shells as its larger Lever Action .410 Shotgun counterparts, ... "

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
"The Axe has the same 5-round capacity of 2 ½” shells as its larger Lever Action .410 Shotgun counterparts, ... "

Ah, yeah I guess I can’t shoot these. Thanks for the reminder about that.

That still does nothing to diminish my desire to own the axe though. It’s almost like I really don’t care if it’s practical Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pale Horse,

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Holds eleven 3" .410 shells.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/...rm/shotgunss/ksg410/

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Holds eleven 3" .410 shells.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/...rm/shotgunss/ksg410/

Now, that's really kind of neat.

I wish .410 at least had cost and availability parity with 20 gauge. Used to be inexpensive to shoot compared to the bigger bores, but now they rake you over the coals for it. It's an ideal introductory round for new shooters, but dang stuff is ridiculous expensive for what it is, and I can never find it. Maybe I'll start loading for .410

Posts: 459 | Registered: February 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post