SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Guidance on first M14/M1A
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guidance on first M14/M1A Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Hi, everyone. Thanks again for sharing all of your feedback. It was very helpful in assisting me in my choice for a first M14. I am happy to report that plans for acquiring my first M14 are in progress. I'll certainly post details and pics when it arrives. For now, though, I have some questions on M14-related accoutrements!

Magazines - I need some. I figure a few 20-rounders and a few 10-rounders will do. What brand is best? I've heard Checkmate/SAI are the best (same company). What say you? What is a reasonable price per mag and where do you recommend I purchase them?

Ammo - I need some. This is my first larger-caliber rifle. I am new to .308 Win. I would like to get some "match" ammo for testing the rifle's accuracy, as well as some decent quality practice ammo for everyday fun. What's good? I hear Federal Gold Metal Match and Black Hills are best accuracy-wise. What works best in M14s?

Scope mount - My M14 will have traditional iron sights that I plan to use for a while initially, but I do plan to mount a scope eventually... likely a 1-6x/1-8x LPVO or a 2-10x scope. I know Sadlak, ARMS, and Basset are highly-regarded. My M14's receiver will be in spec so I'm not worried about alignment issues. What are the pros and cons of each scope mount?

Sling - I need one. I've traditionally used Blue Force Gear's VCAS sling for most of my other long gun needs. But an M14 calls for something more traditional. What are my options, what is versatile, and what works?

Maintenance - Any M14-specific cleaning or maintenance tools you'd recommend? I do plan to get a 308-caliber coated cleaning rod. What else? Maybe a gas cylinder wrench? I use SLIP 2000 cleaning and lubrication products on all my firearms. Will their grease be satisfactory for my M14? Anything else a necessity?

I think that's about it. Am I missing anything? Thanks for the continued guidance!

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
CMI/checkmate are the go-to mags. Hopefully you can find some for around $20-$25 per. I just checked real quick and Midway has them for $29 which isn't bad. Lots of other places are out of stock so that might be a good way to go right now.

FYI springfield armory mags are just rebranded CMI mags and are good to go, but they usually want $44 for them which is too much IMO.

I'll let others talk to you about scope mounts. I run irons.

Federal GMM is good stuff and most people find the M1A shoots it well, but you might try some other OTM ammo from other makers and see what yours likes. As far as stock up/range ammo, GGG (lithuanian) is awesome if you can find it, and PPU (prvi partisan) M80 ball is good quality also. Accuracy won't be stellar but it'll work.

Note that all GI M80 ball is magnetic jacketed (at least all I've ever seen) so if your range doesn't allow it, that should be a consideration. PPU M80 is non-magnetic and so is GGG, at least the stuff I have.

It's not the best time to try to stack it deep. Ammo prices are NUTS right now. IMO learn to reload and save your brass.

Sling:

M14 combo tool is useful. IMO get a broken case extractor and some extra firing pins, and a bolt takedown tool is helpful but not necessary. If you want to get deeper you can get these https://www.youtube.com/watch?...nnel=mackdaddy1911a1

GI style web sling is traditional and much lighter than leather,
https://www.charleyssurplus.co...m-m14-m16-sling.html

but if you want to shoot positions and weight isn't a concern I'd get a Turner leather sling
https://www.creedmoorsports.co...-sling/Shooting-Gear

Use a good grease according to the GI manual and your rifle will be happy.

Benny6 will likely be along to guide you further on the tools journey.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3178 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Sling - I need one. I've traditionally used Blue Force Gear's VCAS sling for most of my other long gun needs. But an M14 calls for something more traditional. What are my options, what is versatile, and what works?

You can put a VCAS on a M14. You'll just need a front and rear sling adapter. They're basically velcro straps the are strapped around the stock/handguard area and then attached through the bottom sling swivels, which then provides side sling attachments for a modern tactical sling like the VCAS.

These adapter kits used to be more common back in the day (mid-2000s), for use on traditionally stocked rifles like M14s as well as fixed stock/handguard M16s, but you may be able to still find some these days. The ones one mine are from Specter Gear, IIRC.

Otherwise, if it's just the traditional look you're after, USGI web slings are cheap and widely available.

Or you could classy it up a bit with a leather M1907 sling. Tuner's blems/seconds are the best bet for those from a quality vs. price standpoint:

https://turnersling.com/myshop/m1907-sling-seconds/

Posts: 32414 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'll post pics when your rifle arrives. Wink

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5370 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Doh! The cat's out of the bag! Smile Can't wait.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post