SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Favorite Rifles...semi-auto and bolt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Rifles...semi-auto and bolt Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

We all have our favorite rifles, but mine are limited to two, although I have many. These are the ones that make it to the range the most often. I have several others that may may the cut, but are still being tested...

My LRB/Walther double lugged rifle 'smithed by Benny 6. Fully accurized and ready to go...scope is a Kahles' 525i 5 x 25. I hope to have a report and test targets in the next week or two weather permitting

The next is my G.A. Precision "Rock" built in .308. It's a perfect working rifle and beyond reproach.

The last is a picture of my favorite head gear...

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
These are the ones that make it to the range the most often.

I hope to have a report and test targets in the next week or two weather permitting

Uh....a rifle that makes it to the range most often...doesn't match with a rifle that does not yet have test targets.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Weshowe:
These are the ones that make it to the range the most often.

I hope to have a report and test targets in the next week or two weather permitting

Uh....a rifle that makes it to the range most often...doesn't match with a rifle that does not yet have test targets.

I'm confused also.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I think he means current targets. I've seen great targets posted from the past, but probably on the M14 forum. I think winter is getting to Wes and he must have cabin fever. I think they had an ice storm recently too, or at least they did in Washington.

Tony

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
For pure grins my favorites are;

M1 Garand (3006),Built by "The Garand Guy", beautiful Walnut stock and all new Parkerizing. Always puts a smile on my face, probably one of the last rifles I would part with.For pure joy of shooting this would be the one.

Bolt action; Weatherby Lasermark in 257 Weatherby Magnum. Such a gorgeous rifle, I could just look at it and admire it all day long. VERY accurate, but busts the bank for ammo.
Makes me wish I had more wood stocked rifles.
It makes me nervous when I take it out, very worried about scratching it but then again I doubt I will ever sell it.

For a Shotgun its the Ljutic Mono Trap gun.
Like the Weatherby, its stock and fit and finish are stunning.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My 196-series Mini-14 (no surprise there Wink):

ASRM2-BT-BC_fullview02 by kpkina, on Flickr

And my Remington Model Seven:

Model Seven by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington Model 700 in 30-06.
I've taken almost every critter in North America with it,
POF Rogue, lightest .308 and a total tack driver!
Took a 6X6 Satellite Bull this year @ 478yds.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neither, I prefer Shotguns. Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun. BTW, that's my 4 gun Skeet set, the one on the left is a 410/28 combo.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll play…

I have pretty wood ones to look at, but these two are, without a doubt, shot the most.
(and are always loaded)

My “back yard critter” rifle…

Ruger Precision 22LR
SWCA SS 10x42 on an American Defense AD-Recon
Atlas bipod

My “bump in the night” (or perimeter alarm) rifle…

Rifle Dynamics RD700

front to back:
Ultimak upper rail
Vltor SMQ-OE w/ Protac 1L
Aimpoint T1 on an American Defense AD-T1-L
RS Regulate GKR-10 MS lower rail
RD V2 rear sight
Krebs Custom enhanced selector
Tuned G2 trigger 3.5#
Tango Down grip
CNC Warrior tubular folding stock

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I've posted this one before but we all like pictures don't we!

CZ457VPT with LW barrel installed. When I do my part it is outstanding.

And when I want one that's pretty to look at:

BL-22

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Can’t pick just one of each, lol. Every time one goes to the range, it’s my favorite that day.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’ll play …
My favorite semi which goes to the range every time I go (but it doesn’t always get shot) is my SiG P556-SBR it’s been seen here before,

I don’t have many bolt guns, but my favorite is my SiG SSG which I re-barreled from 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor because it’s easier on the shoulder.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say no matter what else I get my 556 SWAT Patrol is still my favorite semi-auto rifle even though I have much much better other equipment.

As far as bolts go...maybe my Ruger GSR with the synthetic stock.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite semi is my PTR 91. While not as accurate as my AR-10 or Mk-12 clone I guess its the nostalgia for me. Something about the old school designs.

I don't have a favorite bolt gun but I do like my Swiss K-31. The fit and finish on a nearly 80 year old rifle is amazing. Hats off to Schmidt -Reuben.

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Semi-auto is tough, I have 22s all the way up to M1 Garands. It's like asking which is your favorite child. I guess for going to the range it would be my target AR, with every whistle and bell except a JP silent spring, which I'm considering. It is stupidly accurate, which was the goal, at the expenses of money and weight.

The bolt is easy, I only have one. A Browning X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor set up for hunting. I replaced the stock with a Boyds, as the factory one had a problem with getting sticky and peeling. Browning replaced it, but I like my replacement stock better.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say my Springfield M1A is my favorite semi auto. Bolt action would be either my Enfield M17 or my Remington 510 .22lr. I have pretty simple tastes and requirements, these 3 rifles deliver the goods for me.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Some wonderful looking long arms in this thread. I only have 1 bolt gun (Browning A Bolt 3 in
7mm-08) presently so as a result it is my favorite Big Grin.

I hope to someday have a 16 gauge Citori.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very good stuff here!

I'm glad you didn't mention Levers, because that would have been really hard to decide!

My favorites, at least for the moment, are my CMP Special Rack M1 Garand and my de-sporterized Remington 03A3. Both are accurate enough for what they are, and surprisingly well thought-out and effective tools, especially considering the time period in which they were produced. Ignore the SMLE in the photo...wrong era and the .303, while historically interesting, is stupid.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92fstech,

Nice rifles! Don't discount that old Enfield. They are wonderful rifles. The O3A3 helped us win WWII, as did the Garand (that's a nice one by the way).

Enjoy them, as they are a piece of history.

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't discount that old Enfield.

Oh I don't. It's actually my son's, and it was a very nice rifle for the time. It has a great action and is fun to run fast...if you can keep the rounds oriented properly in the mag. We have a lot of fun shooting it, but pretty much limit ourselves to cast bullet handloads these days to extend the life of the brass, and not blow ourselves up. We got ahold of some surplus a while back and after the first round went "click" "bang!", we ended up pulling a couple hundred bullets and used the cordite "spaghetti" for a homeschool science project.

My beef isn't with the rifle (although I'm not a huge fan of the two-piece stock design or the rear bolt lugs), it's the .303 cartridge. Using a rimmed case (can you say "rimlock"?) with corrosive primers and cordite all the way into the 1960s. They had a chance to do something different with the P13 (and by extension the P14 and everything thereafter), but their institutional inflexibility ultimately handicapped some great rifle designs with an obsolete cartridge.

I have an Eddystone M1917 as well (the American P14), and chambered in .30-06 it's a great rifle...heavier and clunkier than my 03A3, but a good shooter nonetheless. I can only imagine what the Brits could have turned out if they'd been willing to adopt a modern rimless cartridge instead of insisting on retaining a black powder design from the 1880s for 70+ years.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post